Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding my vulcan 750 and must of hit oil on the pavement going 27mph. back break locked up and slid sideways 10 feet on the pavement. Bad news: couple scrapes. good news: the floorboards I had made by ccspinner saved my bike. the bike slid on those floorboards which protected the bike and myself be keeping it off of me. I would suggest everyone getting the floorboards. not a scratch one my bike (except the windshield).

·
If only it had 6th gear..
1,100 Posts
Wow man. Glad you're ok. The fact that the bike came thru alright is icing on the cake.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it was my first experience laying down a bike. Hopefully my last one. Scrape on my knee and arm. If those floorboards weren't on the bike the whole bike would of been on top of me. well the bike was on top of me. But the floorboards were touching the pavement and I slid out with ease.

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,501 Posts
This is a rough time of year to be riding but many of us (myself included) hate to pack it up for any amount of time. There are fallen leaves, wet roads that never seem to dry out and even some icing to contend with. Your description of the floorboards assistance is something I had not thought of while considering installing boards on my bike. Are your boards hinged or totally "fixed"? Can you post any pictures of your installation please?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
GREAT that you're ok!

I had a very close call yesterday... some retarded lady decided to make a U turn right in front of me, without even a turn signal or any other sort of sign. There was a patch of sand on the lane I was in, so my rear tire started sliding when I tried to brake.

Thankfully, I somehow reacted right and I got the rear tire to stop sliding and managed to stop the bike like 2 feet before my front tire hit the car's door.

What reeeaaaaallyyyy pissed me off though was that the b¡tch looked straight at me when she started doing the U turn, stopped for like half a second and then decided to make the U turn anyway, even though she saw I was definitely going to hit her! All the while just looking at me with this retarded "I don't give a crap" look on her face. She even made the U turn sloooowly...

I'm lucky I was going to work and had no time to stop or I'd be in jail for beating up that stupid, retarded b¡tch!

Sorry for the aggressiveness, been wanting to vent on that one lol.

·
Super Moderator
11,959 Posts
You should consider yourself lucky....although the floorboards are pretty tough, the cast aluminum pegs they bolt to are not. They are notorious for breaking off in a spill. I think the fact that you slid "sideways" helped alot, as the force was in the direction the peg folds.

I did not, nor do I think Chad would make any claim about the floorboards providing any crash protection , be it for the bike or the rider.

So I would not suggest anyone buy them thinking that. They are however awesome for riding comfort.....

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Glad you are OK. You must have a ton of gear on to stay warm in Wis. this time of year. We were 38 degrees for a high temp today. Brisk ridin for sure!
You must have some snow where you are by now.
Hope you don't need much to mend the bike.
Stay warm.
Bronson.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
nope no snow. flurries last night but all melted right away. their is no claim about the floorboards saving lives. I just posted how I found them to be helpful in that situation.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Glad Your Ok Scuba, Could Of Went The Other Way! Thank Goodness !

·
Super Moderator
11,959 Posts
With appologies to scuba..... I have always hated that phrase "I laid her down".

To "lay something down" describes a purposeful act. "I laid a blanket down" for example means you physically did it on purpose.

I don't think anyone lays a bike over on purpose unless they are about to go over a cliff.

Say " I wiped out" or crashed, or ate sh:t , or "lost it" in a turn. Saying " I laid her down" to me sounds like the start of a sex story....;)

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
lol. I crashed into the pavement and slid 10 feet. Disclaimer: I take back that I laid it done, I have never had any sexual contact with my motorcycle at anytime to the best of my knowledge. I however do love my bike (but not in an inappropriate way.

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
Fortunately an experience I have never had. But if I could see it was going to happen, I would probably throw myself under it to help protect it. And I'm actually not sure if I'm kidding about that or not. I would probably sell a nice bike if I ever dropped it, I just really wouldn't care anything about it anymore. I've had a few old beaters that had been dropped many times when I got them, but they were just that, old beaters.

·
Registered
335 Posts
GREAT that you're ok!

I had a very close call yesterday... some retarded lady decided to make a U turn right in front of me,
Ceal - glad you got out of that one. That has happened to me in a car before (with ABS) but never on a bike so far. I feel for ya.

·
Registered
59 Posts
There is certainly some good to learn from this and I had been thinking earlier of getting some bars that wrap around the front of the engine.

Would bars in the front and something else in back, other than rigid saddle bags, help protect our bikes and us even when riding two up? I like the stock pegs and would rather have a good set of bars.

Maybe some rigid boards to replace the passenger pegs would work in the back.

·
Super Moderator
11,959 Posts
Years ago, a study by the California Highway Patrol showed the installing "crash bars" on their KZ1000 police bikes actually increased the chances of injury to the rider, the severity off the injuries also were higher for both the rider and the bike too.

But as they needed the bars to mount the lights , sirens, etc... They instead left them on the bike and opted for better rider training.

Most agree that such hard fixed protrusions are only usefull at very low speeds. I'm am sure the right design when faced with just the right type of spill would be usefull... But you can't pick your accidents.

There are companies that makes front and rear bars that fit to several bikes...my FJR included. But they are all sold as "Tip over guards" and not considered protection in a real crash.

Building something that attaches to the frame could mean instead of damaging a $60 side cover, you bend a $600 frame... And which is easier to replace?

So what I'm saying here is designing something that works as you wish is an iffy project. The CA study showed if a bike can't fall flat on it's side and slide... its very likely to roll.... creating more damage to the bike.

I have a set of "sliders" on my bike that already have saved the bike when it simply fell over. But I know if it goes over at speed, they likely will be useless.

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
As Knifmaker stated they are not made to hold up the bike. I am glad it worked for you and you are ok.
The stock pegs are a week point if you lay the bike down so I would check your peg and make sure it did not crack.
I am glad you are ok, Jeep the shiny side up and watch for leaves as they are slipery when wet.

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
Pretty much all sportbikes you see have frame sliders. Everybody who works at the local Cycle Gear store rides sport bikes, and they have all been down multiple times. The bodywork is all scraped up, as are the pipes, bars, pegs, etc. but nothing is actually broken. The "frame sliders" are ground down. But most sportbikes have much stronger frames than cruisers, plus they are a lot lighter. What I wonder about is with all the crashing they seem to do, how do they show up for work on a regular basis? I had to give up MX a long time ago for that reason, when the boss pointed out that he was not paying me to show up on crutches and in casts. Now those old injuries are coming back to cause me some problems.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Good to hear from ya

Any time you can walk away is a fortunate circumstance. To not have the bike smashed is even better. Maybe a day or two left in the season...maybe not, but if you get the chance, go out for a ride. Hard to end the season with the road winning.:smiley_th

1 - 20 of 21 Posts