Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How many times have i heard that story! Is there something going on with people when they drive a car and pull out into a motorcycle and crash him at highway speeds? I have drove cars all my life and Rode bikes for quite some time. There has never been an instance when i did not see a motorcycle or pedal cyclist, so whats going on there then???
I'm confused about the excuse that, The bike wasent 'big enough or loud enough'
Well excuse me mr 'Cell phone', but W.T.F.

·
Premium Member
4,767 Posts
When we realized my 87 year old father was running stop signs and red lights, we got his license pulled. Fortunately, he didn't hurt anyone before this happened. Very young and very old drivers are not as aware of their surroundings as folks in between these extremes. A 17 year old rider was killed not long ago when a woman just a little older pulled out in front of him. She didn't see him. Don't know how fast he was going. Not sure if she was driving while distracted or not, but cell phone came to mind when I heard about it.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
I have been driving from the age of 14 or 15. And I have to admit that I have pulled out in the way of a car or two. Never saw them. Why I never saw them, I just don't know. Never gotten hit and I have never hit anyone. So I understand how a bike can be hard to see.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When we realized my 87 year old father was running stop signs and red lights, we got his license pulled. Fortunately, he didn't hurt anyone before this happened. Very young and very old drivers are not as aware of their surroundings as folks in between these extremes. A 17 year old rider was killed not long ago when a woman just a little older pulled out in front of him. She didn't see him. Don't know how fast he was going. Not sure if she was driving while distracted or not, but cell phone came to mind when I heard about it.
How do these people have driving liscences in these conditions? Are they not revoked? With respect flite!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have been driving from the age of 14 or 15. And I have to admit that I have pulled out in the way of a car or two. Never saw them. Why I never saw them, I just don't know. Never gotten hit and I have never hit anyone. So I understand how a bike can be hard to see.
Thats a good point niterider, come to think of it, with all the gear on in the wintertime, it is a bit hard to look left and right, i too had to jump on the throttle a time or two. Normally i see them but i have just commited to take off, so it's Oh no!! Vroooom!:rockon:

·
Registered
707 Posts
think of it this way... people get complacent with their surroundings.... thats when bad things happen...

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
This is how I see it for the average driver.....
When people who don't ride, or closely know someone who does ride, are driving in their car, they have their "Ring of Protection" around them.... their steel caged shield which will stop them from being hurt by objects smaller than they are.
So, they have little worry or concern about these smaller objects (which it just so happens motorcycles fall into this category).
In having little concern about these smaller objects, when there is one in their path, they see it, but don't recognise it as being a threat, so their mind just kind of dismisses it as something to not watch out for.
In doing this, they end up saying...... "I never even saw the motorcycle."

·
Premium Member
4,767 Posts
Chappy, if you are asking if licenses are revoked as someone reaches an advanced age, the answer is no. Florida (where my father lives) used to have a requirement that all drivers above a certain age (70, I think) would have to take the driving test every 4-5 years when their license had to be renewed. Didn't take long for the many retirees in Florida to get that changed! (Ice cream!!) Now the interval is around 16 years. Do the math: pass at 70 and you're good to go until 86! Pass at 86, and you don't need the test until 102! Folks are very protective of what they regard as their freedom to drive. Actually, it's a privledge, not a right, but that is lost on most folks.

If you are asking about the bike accident, both people involved were licensed. The young woman could have been charged with negligent vehicular homicide, but wound up paying a fine and was good to go; no jail time, still has her license as far as I know. I read in the paper fairly regularly about people getting arrested for 4th, 5th, and even 7th DWI. yes, their license has been pulled but they drive anyway. Put those slobs in jail before they kill someone!

·
Vintage bike addict
859 Posts
Seems it's covered. I've nothing to add.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
How do these people have driving liscences in these conditions? Are they not revoked? With respect flite!
Here in Alberta as you get to an advanced age the licence is renewed for shorter periods, down to even 1 or 2 years. Typically they only have to pass a vision test, some times a medical, but usually not a driving test.

My brothers and I had to take our mother`s car away when she was about 74 and had 2 accidents in one day. Scraped paint on another car in a parking lot first, and knocked the passenger door mirror off her car while coming over to my place, but didn`t know what she hit or where it happened.

Whether driving, riding or walking, when I cross an intersection, I make eye contact with approaching drivers, before moving out in front of them. I`m surprised at how many people say they have never thought of looking inside the car to see the driver, when this topic comes up in conversation.

So ride like you are invisible, and everybody is out to get you!! :doh:

·
On His Lady Vulcan
1,647 Posts
Folks are very protective of what they regard as their freedom to drive. Actually, it's a privledge, not a right, but that is lost on most folks!
I will have to disagree with you on that one point Flite. According to our own constitution it is a right. It's a shame though that some desire to push their rights to the point of endangering others but it is a right of ours none the less.

Peace :beerchug:

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
I will have to disagree with you on that one point Flite. According to our own constitution it is a right. It's a shame though that some desire to push their rights to the point of endangering others but it is a right of ours none the less.

What does it mean when it is a right?
If it were a right could one do it with out a license???

·
On His Lady Vulcan
1,647 Posts
What does it mean when it is a right?
If it were a right could one do it with out a license???
The license is is a touchy subject but as it is written no you still need the proper documentation. If you have it then YES its a right.

"Freedom of movement, mobility rights or the right to travel is a human rights concept which is respected in the constitutions of numerous states. It asserts that a citizen of a state, in which that citizen is present, generally has the right to leave that state, travel wherever the citizen is welcome, and, with proper documentation, return to that state at any time; and also (of equal or greater importance) to travel to, reside in, and/or work in, any part of the state the citizen wishes without interference from the state."

I have no issues spending the money for my licenses for it does help improve roads and employ people within our states. I guess its all in one interpretation of the right to travel but as I see it they can not stop me from traveling if I deem fit.

·
Premium Member
4,767 Posts
Niterider, you hit the nail on the head. We have the right to own firearms, and no license is required to do so. Now, if you want to exercise the privlege of going hunting, you have to obtain a license! We have the right to travel on public property anywhere within our nation (national security zones excepted). However, if we want the convenience of driving there, we have to get a driver's license. Driving is a privledge.

Oops! Wkrizan, you snuck in there while I was responding to nite. A right cannot be taken away, except by a court (for example, felons cannot posess firearms). A privledge can be revoked, like my father's license for due cause. There was an appeal process open to him, but there was no legal remedy available to him; he couldn't fight it in court.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
The license is is a touchy subject but as it is written no you still need the proper documentation. If you have it then YES its a right.

"Freedom of movement, mobility rights or the right to travel is a human rights concept which is respected in the constitutions of numerous states. It asserts that a citizen of a state, in which that citizen is present, generally has the right to leave that state, travel wherever the citizen is welcome, and, with proper documentation, return to that state at any time; and also (of equal or greater importance) to travel to, reside in, and/or work in, any part of the state the citizen wishes without interference from the state."

I have no issues spending the money for my licenses for it does help improve roads and employ people within our states. I guess its all in one interpretation of the right to travel but as I see it they can not stop me from traveling if I deem fit.

Yes, but that right can be excercised without a drivers license. There are buses ect. other ways to travel. Would that not make the driver's license a preveleage??

·
On His Lady Vulcan
1,647 Posts
If you going to take it to that extreme, then hand guns, which is also a firearm, must be registered with the federal and state government. Without registering it one can not purchase it by law but its still a your right to own them correct? How is that different than purchasing the proper documents to travel?

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
If you going to take it to that extreme, then hand guns, which is also a firearm, must be registered with the federal and state government. Without registering it one can not purchase it by law but its still a your right to own them correct? How is that different than purchasing the proper documents to travel?

For now, I believe you are right. We still have the right to have a gun. I was looking that up last night. I have never had a hand gun so I am not up on the laws in that area.
I found this.
The US Supreme Court has long since ruled that obtaining a drivers license is a "privilege," not a "right." If the license were a right, states would be required to find a way for people with physical, emotional, or medical handicaps to get licenses somehow. It would be required to make accommodations for people who could not pass the minimum tests to receive a driver's license.

·
On His Lady Vulcan
1,647 Posts
I mean lets face it and be real, I see both sides of this coin. 1st. the constitution was written when the only means of trasportation was by horse...lol. So they do need to update it or else a very good lawyer can and should always win the argument in court. 2nd. I see it as a privilaged right, I do. I just dont want anyone threating me by saying its a privilage that I am able to drive and they can take that away from me at their whim, that would totaly piss me off. I feel for your old man Flite but understand the need to do what they did. Damn am I sounding wishy washy on this subject or what?...LOL

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
Here in Michigan having a driver's license is called a privilege, however there are court cases declaring that driving for non-profit purposes a right. Also, if driving was a privilege the government could take away licenses without any due reason.

This is one of those subjects in which Google is your friend....

·
Premium Member
4,767 Posts
I mean lets face it and be real, I see both sides of this coin. 1st. the constitution was written when the only means of trasportation was by horse...lol. So they do need to update it or else a very good lawyer can and should always win the argument in court. 2nd. I see it as a privilaged right, I do. I just dont want anyone threating me by saying its a privilage that I am able to drive and they can take that away from me at their whim, that would totaly piss me off. I feel for your old man Flite but understand the need to do what they did. Damn am I sounding wishy washy on this subject or what?...LOL

My Dad has early stage Alzheimer's/dementia, which affects the judgement area of his brain. In spite of the fact that he runs red lights and stop signs, he thinks he's a great driver! My sister and I reported him to the state so they would pull his license. It wasn't an easy decision to make, but it was the right one (yeah, we were wishy washy too). When he kept driving, we took his car. We have arranged alternative transportation for him, so he can still get out and go. He just doesn't have the freedom to get in a car and go anywhere he likes anytime he likes. This is a good thing, because he would have eventually hurt or killed someone if he had kept driving. BTW, he reported his father for the same reasons many years ago!

Many states have a "point" system that awards so may points for traffic violations (speeding, DWI, etc.). Accumulate enough points, and they take your license for a period of time. You can still travel, but you can't legally operate a vehicle.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts