Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
'03 VN750 "Rosie"
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only had her just over a week and I was worried because I have heard so much about the dreaded curse of the dry splines. She is an '03 model with just over 9,000 miles. The seller had new tires put on and told me the shop had done a thorough check, but when I asked if they had provided a printout of their check she said no. So, this afternoon I decided I had time and wanted the peace of mind of knowing what the state of my drive shaft was. I have a moderate amount of wrenching experience, but this was actually easier than I expected. I have done oil changes that were more of a PITA than this was. I found and printed out Fergie's instructions and put it in a 3 ring binder (which may be the start of my Vulcan Bible) took a quick trip to Autozone and got to work.

For raising the bike I opted for the two 2x4s and tipping the bike first to one side then the other while sliding the boards under with my foot. I did have a problem with dropping the wheel as the lower right shock mount stud on the swingarm hit the exhaust and wouldn't lower all the way down. I pulled on the swingarm and the exhaust to help slip it by. There were no scratch marks on 3 of the 4 nuts on the final drive housing so I don't think anyone had taken it off. Inside, the splines appeared to have traces of dark grease but the socket on the propeller shaft was clean inside. I packed it with three teaspoons of High Temp Wheel Bearing Grease (says molybdenum bisulfide on the back) that I've had in my garage since the mid 90's. I didn't have a plastic spoon so I used a plastic knife instead and spread some on both sets of splines. I used a toothbrush to apply grease to the splines on the front end of the shaft and sprayed white lithium grease on the u joint. (Note to self - buy Sweetheart a new toothbrush...:doh:) The front end was I also pretty thin on grease. I also put put some on the gear that connects the drive to the wheel just to be safe. Had some struggle connecting the wheel to the drive housing but I finally got it. The rest of the reassembly was as easy as taking it apart.

I was surprised at how easy many of the bolts were to remove. Particularly the shock mounts. All in all it's nice to have this done. Bought some hypoid lube for the gear case but ran out of time today.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
good job!

·
'03 VN750 "Rosie"
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK - How do I add all the stuff I've done to the bike on the bottom of my posts like so many others are doing??

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
OK - How do I add all the stuff I've done to the bike on the bottom of my posts like so many others are doing??
click on "quick links", then "edit signature"

I found and printed out Fergie's instructions and put it in a 3 ring binder (which may be the start of my Vulcan Bible)
thats what i did. there also a nice write up on doing the coolent change that i printed out and add to my bible.

·
'03 VN750 "Rosie"
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It sure does. Thanks Fergy!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts