Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I haven't been on in some time. Life gets in the way...divorce, job changing, etc.

I've had my 91 since 93. It's been stored inside forever. It hasn't run in 5-6 ish years. Right now, it's apart as I had the carbs off to clean and repair. I was also installing hardiness forward controls. Neither were complete when I abandoned the bike for a few years.
It's now home, and while filthy and not all in one peice, it's in good shape.

I would love to get it running again and take it out every now and then when I want to time travel.:)

Here's what I need help with so far.

1) I don't remember how to reinstall the carbs. My manual got lost in the move. Actually is there a way to confirm I put it all back together properly?
2) on the carb, one of the fuel inlets broke. What does everyone else do to fix these?
3) the forward controls are tough to install. Any advise?
4) I think I lost some clutch cable mounts. Anyone have a picture of how it should look?

Thanks in advance! I'm going to be here a lot.:)

Chris

Attachments

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,365 Posts
I have a carb cleaning video that might help. There are others too. Search carb cleaning vn750. Welcome back!

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
I had to replace broken fuel inlets. I bought some Harley D. brass ones, drilled out the old ones slightly undersize and pressed the new ones in with loctite. All good now. Welcome back.

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
Hi everyone. I haven't been on in some time. Life gets in the way...divorce, job changing, etc.

I've had my 91 since 93. It's been stored inside forever. It hasn't run in 5-6 ish years. Right now, it's apart as I had the carbs off to clean and repair. I was also installing hardiness forward controls. Neither were complete when I abandoned the bike for a few years.

I would love to get it running again and take it out every now and then when I want to time travel.:)

1) I don't remember how to reinstall the carbs. My manual got lost in the move. Actually is there a way to confirm I put it all back together properly?
2) on the carb, one of the fuel inlets broke. What does everyone else do to fix these?
4) I think I lost some clutch cable mounts. Anyone have a picture of how it should look?

Chris
When I first read this, I thought you were someone else. ;) Welcome back. Hey, how'd you adhere all that stuff in your garage to the ceiling? :D

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Welcome back to the fold!

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,242 Posts
Super glue;)

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts

Chris
Welcome back dude. Right on, or should that be Ride On with the '91 vn.
(Don't tell these other guys but the '91s have the fastest colors! lol:motorcycl)

Go to the fuel and carbs forum and look through the first threads that are "stickied" to stay at the top of the list. There are several you may find helpful in confirming your carb is put back together properly. ie. Crobins pics in her gallery and roach's videos.

Here is a link to a better brass fuel fitting:
http://www.cv-performance.com/harley-fuel-inlet-elbow/

Sorry I can't help with info on forward controls or clutch cable mounts. :(

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Pro tip on the fuel inlets.. put them in the freezer for a few days, will make them slid into the carb easier! Metal contracts when cold, all that jazz.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,242 Posts
Ky jelly ;)works great on exhaust pipelol.i love my bike.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
HA! The picture is upside down. :(

Ordered these Elbows..... More questions to come I'm certain. :)

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,242 Posts
Nah your picture is fine.the forum is upside down.lol

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
I've had my carbs off and apart 3 times. As far as putting them back together, I found installing the enrichener actuator assembly to be the most difficult thing. Do you plan on doing a stock install, or eliminating the airbox? If you are keeping it stock, I found that you can cut some of the rubber off the end of the elbows that connect the carbs to the airbox, the end that goes into the airbox/surge tank, and it makes it a LOT easier to get them into place. Must be done carefully. It is also possible to get that surge tank up plenty high where it won't be in the way. While the Kawasaki manual is available here, I found the Clymer manual to be a lot more helpful. My '02 is still sitting in my living room with the engine out. I will finish it up next summer when riding season here in AZ is over. Have other bikes to ride right now.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
.................My '02 is still sitting in my living room with the engine out.................
That's true love there..... Here in Bama we put our bikes in a shed, a garage, a barn, a lean too, or under a tarp. But if your bike has a cup-holder I could see where that would come in handy while watching the TV.:rockon:

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
Growing up in Joisey, we had a neighbor lady from Texas who would yell at her kids to "put up your bikes".
I live in "Joisey" now, maybe I should learn what that means. Or maybe no one in Jersey knows what the crazy Texan was hollering about. :) How exactly does one, "put up their bike?"

1 - 19 of 19 Posts