Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working on getting my 93 started. I have changed all fluids. Clean and rebuilt carb. Got everything put back together and the engine turns over but doesn’t start. I have read what to check and have been doing that. I had to order a volt meter with ohm on it but it hasn’t come in yet. I was working on cleaning wires and connectors behind the right side cover. I took this thing off that is attached to the battery box. It has 2 forward facing screws. The one on the right has 2 black wires on it I think come from the coils. The left has the red battery cable connected to it. And at the bottom it has a black wire. The connector for the black wire broke and I put a new connector on it and put it back. Now when I push the start button nothing happens.
I found a picture of a mod in a mod manual and what I have doesn’t look like the picture.

·
Registered
1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I’m going to try the 2 wire bypass. Also was reading about the BLU bypass. Again the picture he shows has a round thing above what I believe is a relay switch.

·
Registered
9,109 Posts
The part you circled is the starter solenoid. The two larger cables are both positive wires, one from the battery, the other goes to the starter. The two smaller wires on the white plug are part of the start circuit.

Took me a while to see all that, I was fixed on the large gauge red wires with the junction block or whatever the red rectangle is.

·
Registered
1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
3 maybe. The 2 terminal post then a little one at the bottom with a black wire attached

·
Registered
9,109 Posts
The original solenoid for the VN is a four wire.

You might try bolting it back to the battery box and see if it works, it might need grounded. That white/red wire doesn't look right though, shouldn't be on the battery cable, I don't think.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Good catch on that ground-to-frame, Spockster. Seems a likely culprit for the sudden loss of the starter.

I bet the previous owner moved the wire that usually goes between the positive terminal of the battery and the junction box, and instead ran it to the lug on the starter relay. Maybe the eye broke off the wire and he only had a smaller one and had to attach it where he could?

I see two large gauge wires coming off the 'motor' end of the solenoid. Where do they go? One to the starter, obviously, but the second one?

·
Registered
9,109 Posts
Wondered about that second cable myself. Hope that's not a ground, but I suspect it could be, there's no reason for another hot cable on the starter side, it's only powered when the start button is pushed.

·
Registered
9,109 Posts
Thinking that third cable could be one of the grounds that bolts to the frame. The rubber boot looks a bit melted, that ground would make a lot of heat in that configuration.

·
Registered
1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Later today I will see where the black comes from and the red/white wire.

·
Registered
1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The 2 black wires on the right post. 1 goes to a screw on the frame. The other goes up to the front and has a green/white and a red wire coming out of it. It connects then goes into the wire harness. It may go into the headlight.

·
Registered
9,109 Posts
The 2 black wires on the right post. 1 goes to a screw on the frame. The other goes up to the front and has a green/white and a red wire coming out of it. It connects then goes into the wire harness. It may go into the headlight.
The black wire running to a screw on the frame, need to remove that from the solenoid. It's a ground and shouldn't be connected to the solenoid post.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I suspect that if you look at your battery terminals, you're missing a red/white wire on the positive terminal, and just have the black wire from the battery to the solenoid. The red/white is usually connected straight to the battery. It doesn't really hurt anything to have it attached at the solenoid, it just adds one wire jump, which is an added potential failure point.

If one of the wires from the solenoid goes to ground, then that is WRONG, and someone probably incorrectly installed the wire that should go from the negative terminal of the battery to the frame. There should be a wire from the negative terminal of the battery to the frame, nothing between the battery or frame to the solenoid, and one wire from the solenoid to the starter motor. (As Spockster noted earlier, the ground for the primary coil is probably the bracket that bolts to the frame of the bike, so there isn't a ground wire. This might be what caused the previous owner to think they needed to run a black wire to the frame).

The other black wire currently on the right side of the solenoid is probably, or at least should be, the cable that goes to the starter motor at the front of the engine.

So, having said all that, I'm realizing that in the picture there's a black/yellow wire, which is the primary coil ground wire on the OEM solenoid. What's missing is the yellow/red wire that usually comes from the start button to the primary coil, and is about the same size as the black/yellow wire. Maybe there used to be a fourth terminal that snapped off? (you can that wire in the molex connector in your first picture of the OEM solenoid). There's a piece of the puzzle that we don't have.

Is there a part number somewhere on your solenoid? It seems like a lot of wires going places they shouldn't be going, and I don't know how it was ever working, even if bolting it back to the frame gets you back to where it'll crank but not catch.

·
Registered
1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So there is yellow red wire in close proximity. But it is spliced and connected to the small black white wire. I think maybe they tried to do the 2 wire mod But evidently did it wrong. I’m going to attempt to undo that and see what happens. On the battery there is a negative cable connected and goes to the frame. So I may be able to eliminate the other black cable that goes from frame to solenoid? Thanks for the suggestions. I’ll keep y’all updated.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
When you say it's spliced into, do you mean they're joined end-to-end, or that the yellow/white connects into the middle of the black/white wire? If they're connected end-to-end, everything makes sense, as the signal wire connects only to the solenoid and the black/white isn't at all a ground wire like I was thinking it was. The large black wire from the solenoid to the frame should be removed, and the solenoid would be correctly grounded once bolted to the frame.

·
Registered
1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The are connected end to end. The yellow/red is connected to the black/white. And the black/white is connected to a small post on the bottom of the solenoid. Right now the start button doesn’t work. It was working at least the motor was turning over. I took the solenoid off and cleaned the post and connectors. When I put it back together it doesn’t work. The bike sat for 7 or 8 years with previous owner. I’m not sure I can ever get it to run. But I’m going to try. I may follow the rewiring mod.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts