Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,567 Posts
early year 750's had them, only a couple years tho.

I imagine it could be retrofitted... different speedo bucket, wiring harness's, left bar switch cluster...

there was a reason they killed em after a couple years, I can only imagine they were failure prone

·
200% senile
164 Posts
My Vulcan Mean Streak has the self cancelling turn signal feature on it and it can be aggravating and even dangerous at times. They turn themselves off much too quickly so you have to be constantly turning them back on so people have time to see them blinking or don't think you changed your mind about turning cuz' the signals turned themselves off so quickly.

I much prefer the system on the 750 that stays on until I manually turn them off. I would suggest that you either get into the habit of double checking that you have turned them off or else wire in a large enough to notice LED to visually let you notice that you haven't turned them off.

There is an aftermarket device that cancels them for you that can be added, but it will cancel them much too soon, it is NOT like what you have in a car or truck, nor does it work in the same manner.

·
Super Moderator
2,567 Posts
My Vulcan Mean Streak has the self cancelling turn signal feature on it and it can be aggravating and even dangerous at times. They turn themselves off much too quickly so you have to be constantly turning them back on so people have time to see them blinking or don't think you changed your mind about turning cuz' the signals turned themselves off so quickly.

I much prefer the system on the 750 that stays on until I manually turn them off. I would suggest that you either get into the habit of double checking that you have turned them off or else wire in a large enough to notice LED to visually let you notice that you haven't turned them off.

There is an aftermarket device that cancels them for you that can be added, but it will cancel them much too soon, it is NOT like what you have in a car or truck, nor does it work in the same manner.
yup, they work on a combination of time elapsed and distance traveled on motorcycles. NOT relying on steering input to do the cancel

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
early year 750's had them, only a couple years tho.

I imagine it could be retrofitted... different speedo bucket, wiring harness's, left bar switch cluster...

there was a reason they killed em after a couple years, I can only imagine they were failure prone
My 85 had it but they stop auto cancelling .so go figure ...

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
They do make buzzers/beepers to remind you to turn your turnsignals off if you are that forgetful....;)
Can't leave mine on too long or i can't pull in the clutch to downshift.;)

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
I have had a few bikes with self canceling turn signals, I always disabled them. They were dangerous and very aggravating. They would self cancel before reaching the turn, and if you turned them back on, they would continue blinking long after the turn. Self canceling signals work fine on cars, but nobody seems to have figured out how to make them work on bikes. For me, learning how to use the turn signals is just a part of learning to ride, same as making sure the sidestand is up, not starting the engine in gear with the clutch out, and using your brakes properly.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What about one that returns to center the you push to turn off?
Any other options?
I just hate it, I dont know why, I just do.

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,494 Posts
Is there a particular physical reason that self cancel turn signals are a problem for you or is it just a mental (not meant as a negative comment) preference? I like the idea of a brighter LED in the dash which may be a simple plug in fix. I am going to consider that option for myself as I have been known to leave my signal on for an excessive amount of time after making my turn.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
Me too Tom that's why i hand signal.

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,361 Posts
My sportster has the self cancelling blinkers. I HATE THAT ****. It's fine if you are stopped at a light but when I turn them on to make a turn, I don't want them turning off just before I make the turn. These turn off way way too quickly. I'd rather do it myself so there's no misunderstanding.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
OK, don't laugh too hard, but I have a PGO "Buddy" scooter (I said STOP SNICKERING!!....grrr). I bought it a few years ago when gas hit $4/gallon and I averaged 85mpg (who's laughing now?) when riding back and forth to work. I could travel for a week on what normally would have been used going to work one way.

The turn signal switch on this scooter has a firm button in the center that you could press to cancel the signal, plus it made a louder clicking noise the entire time it was on. This is on my project list to figure out how to encorporate in to my 750.

Plus the correct URL from earlier post was http://www.rattlebars.com/mtz/buzzer.html

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts