Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

i got a nail in my new shinko

4K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  Wolfie 
#1 ·
noticed my tire was low today and found a nail in my new back shinko i plugged it for now and trimmed the plug down flush with the tread but now that its back up to 38psi where i was originally running it the rear end feels slippery

i guess what i am asking is can riding on low pressure cause the tire to get slick and only show once getting the pressure back up to par?

#2 ·
It shouldn't. Question here is how low was it and for how long?

Abnormal wear can however destroy how your tire behaves. "Slick" might be your word for a tire that no longer runs evenly.

Part can be due to you being used to the lower pressure and not with th correct pressure. If the profile was altered by improper wear, it might just not feel the way it should.

My take on this is if you're not confident with the tire you need to replace it.

#3 ·
How long was it low like that? Too little pressure will cause the tire to wear more on the edges of the tread than usual, but I would think it would have to be that way for a while before it would cause a lot of issues. Does it fell slippery just in turns? If it was low for a while you may have gotten used to it actually feeling sluggish from being flat and now that it is back to the correct pressure it feels more slippery. Just a thought.

#4 ·
well it turns out that it has had the nail in it for a while now that i think on it i thought it was the weather change and cooler temps causing the tire to be low i just kept airing it up

i have plenty of trust in the plug and it is keeping pressure so the leak is fixed

its only slippery in the turns at low speed and not as slippery with my old lady on the back i figure the extra weight gives it more grip

all day today i have been slowly pushing the bike a little more in the slow turns and if i push too hard she feels a bit unstable but either i am getting used to it or the tire is coming back to me

anyone think a good tire spin in soft sand might help it out?
i am hoping to go to the lone star rally in galveston tommorow

#7 ·
Guess I have to ask where you are getting the tire pressures you have been using. 38psi sounds high to me but I don't know what's reccomended for that tire.

Spinning the tire in sand just sounds real silly to me, what would this accomplish?

I'd suggest just riding the bike, taking it easier in turns and hopefuly the tire will "wear back" abit.

Photos would have helped here. You really didn't answer the questions - how low and how long? (And by "long" we mean miles here not months)

Personally I'm not a fan of Shinko tires, but folks here seem to like them....

#8 ·
sorry km lets see if i can answer them questions for ya guess im an idiot lol

max cold psi is 42 on these tires i figured 38 would be good and it feels ok however i am now thinking of dropping to 35

it was a little low for a good while about 500 miles i ride her every day so i dont think to check the tires every time i actually watch the tach for tire pressure for example when i am running 38 in the rear i am at 5k rpm at 70mph but i noticed one day that at 70mph i was at 5.5k rpm at first i thought i was bucking wind then i saw the flags over the car dealers blowing my the same way i was riding so i stopped and checked the pressure i was at 25 psi so i aired it up to 38 psi i only seemed to notice this on cold days but then the other day i had aired it up and parked it at the house five hours later i went for a ride and felt the sluggish feeling so i checked and it was at 20 psi thats when i found the nail and plugged it now it is holding 38psi again so to sum it all up i would guess i rode it between 20 and 30 psi for a good 500 miles

also i noticed that the tread seems to be cupping like a car tire does with a bad castor or camber adjustment

#9 ·
Any bike tire over 32 cold seems high to me...too much pressure will cause the tire not to "give and bend" and conform to the surface...the higher the pressure, the smaller the tire's footprint....try lowering it some...

#10 ·
I'm with the Wolfman... try 32 or even 30 if you are a light weight and ride solo a lot. And give 28-30 in the front a try.

#12 ·
unfortunately that is not an option at this time

i am having an extended term of unemployment that i did not foresee when i quit my last job as of right now money is more than just tight its virtually non existent

on a brighter not i dropped both tires down to 32 psi and its getting better with every mile

oh and as far as spinning it in the sand i figured it would scuff up any slick spots that were on it

the day after i got the tire i went to the beach for my birthday i could tell it was new and not fully broke in on the way down but after i got off the beach and back on the road the next day the tire definitely showed me how to get into the turns and it had preformed great ever since until recently that is

#13 · (Edited)
I can sort of understand "spinning it in sand" for a NEW tire ....but not on one that already has several hundred miles on it.

New tires can be "slick" for about 70-100 miles...but once scuffed in they aren't going to revert to being "slick" again unless you wipe them with ArmorAll.

Sanding an already worn tire in fact makes it lose grip. Traction is a factor of the contact area. The more "contact" the better the grip. This is why race bikes use tires with no tread ....oddly called "slicks"..;)

Sanding would impart tiny scratches or grooves in the tire, actually cutting down on available surface area.

Your tire was likely "broke in" on your trip to the beach and back. Not your rides on the sand....

I can understand your financial situation.. Thus my reccomendation to just take it easy and see if the tire bounces back some. That's why I said "I'd replace the tire" not "You should replace the tire" as I had no info on your cash flow....:)

#14 ·
Sanding would impart tiny scratches or grooves in the tire, actually cutting down on available surface area.
i can agree with this or disagree because i do understand what you mean by it but there was a tire retailer a while back that made a fortune off of what they called syping the tires which cut small L shaped cuts in the tread allowing the tire to spread and grip the road better i never tried it but i could see some logic in it

I can understand your financial situation.. Thus my recommendation to just take it easy and see if the tire bounces back some. That's why I said "I'd replace the tire" not "You should replace the tire" as I had no info on your cash flow....:)
i wasnt getting on you about this believe me if the money was there i would have already placed the order and threw this one out the window
ever since i got on my bike i have felt safe with my ability to handle it but since i felt that slip at such a slow speed in a gradual turn its got me on edge i think the tire is coming back to me and i have faith in my abilities and reflexes that i can make it thru i am only worried that my heart might give out or my ass will eat too much of the seat before i get my upgrade from slim lol

#15 ·
here is an exciting update i was taking a right turn out off my old ladys job parking lot
the road was still a little damp from the sprinkle earlier today i was planning on taking it easy because i didn't know if the tire was going to slip or not
figured on swinging out into the left lane so as to make the turn a bit wider i dont think i was even doing 10 mph and then out of nowhere comes a little sports car that seemed to be gunning for me he just didn't want me in that lane so i had two choices grab the brake and probably slip and fall or put my faith in a questionable tire i decided screw it might as well drop it hard if i have to so i threw the bike to the right and rolled into the throttle probably harder than needed to make the turn but i admit i was kinda scared anyways now i am wondering if black betty is not in fact one of the auto-con transformers cause she literally transformed i am not sure because i wasn't looking at the back tire at that precise moment but it felt as though in that split second the tire stuck an arm out clawed into the pavement and threw the bike straight into the right lane it was like i had been riding for years and couldn't go wrong i have never had to turn that sharp that quick but i did it and i now have a bit more faith in that tire i was well into the peg i had stuck my right leg out straight in front of me so i wouldn't break my ankle when the bike committed suicide but to my surprise she wasn't gonna die today

32 psi is my magic number for both tires for now

#16 ·
I should mention that from time to time it is not uncommon for a bikes rear tire to "slip" for a moment while going through a turn. This can frighten those new to riding and make them think something's wrong. Forgive me for not saying this earlier.

This "slip" usually happens very quickly....about the time the rider senses it , its over. The main reason for this is we are not riding our bikes on glass smooth roads totally free of dirt, dust and other debris. It doesn't take much to upset the grip a tire has going through a turn, a tiny pebble at just the right spot can make the rear slide out a small amount. The tire however ,still moving , "catches" quickly as it rolls on. But that slight movement is easily felt by the rider.

It does not neccessarily mean the tire is "at the limit" of it grip. A little ripple in the pavement, dirt, oil, etc is to blame here. 99% of the time it's over and your past it before even having a clue as to what you should have done...

#17 ·
yes i figured that much and have felt exactly that a few times but this was different i think it had a lot to do with the 38psi instead of 32

still that is good info for new riders to know i am glad you posted it

#19 ·
i wish a spamer would call me i would love to verbally rape an ear or two right now
and believe me if i rape your ear you will need a doctor

on another note i believe i will not buy another shinko tire i just found a staple in the rear that means two plugs in the same tire :( so i think i am looking at the darkside
any one got that tire size again

#20 ·
When the spammer calls, hand the phone to the nearest four year old and tell them "It's Santa"

#21 · (Edited)
noticed my tire was low today and found a nail in my new back shinko i plugged it for now and trimmed the plug down flush with the tread but now that its back up to 38psi where i was originally running it the rear end feels slippery

i guess what i am asking is can riding on low pressure cause the tire to get slick and only show once getting the pressure back up to par?
Did you use a Stop&Go mushroom plug?
http://www.stopngo.com/products/TUBELESS-PUNCTURE-PILOT.html

Last summer I discovered a roofing nail in the tread portion of my rear tire when modifying my license plate mount. The tire was still fully inflated and the plug repair was so quick that I only lost 1 or 2 psi of inflation pressure when finished. I have ridden about 1500 miles on that tire since the repair with no problems, and intend to wear the tire out before replacing it after another few thousand miles. :smiley_th

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.