Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday Diane and I went in to the Foothills Hospital for our last follow up appointment with our orthopedic surgeon. He was satisfied with our progress, though Diane needs to continue working on her leg extension. She can now walk almost without a limp if she concentrates, so we are hopeful that she will recover full function.

The surgeon gave us (me really) a stern lecture about the evils of motorcycling, the cost to the public purse of treating riding injuries and how it should be banned. We gray hairs were the worst, because though our faltering abilities made us unfit to ride we tended not to kill ourselves. At least the squids had the consideration to come off at 200 km/h so the taxpayer only had to pay for crash site cleanup.

I could understand where the doctor was coming from. He has to deal with the consequences of motorcycle accidents day in and day out, and, poor fellow, he has never experienced what it is like to ride. To him riding only has a downside; the upside to him is incomprehensible.

After that we went down to Rocky Mountain Honda where I signed the papers for a 2008 Varadero. I had promised Diane not to ride until spring, but this was too hot a deal to pass up. It is a dealer demo with 2200 km on the clock; its price of MSRP less $2,000 included heated grips, Garmin, panniers, centre stand, crash bars, quartet wiring harness (for heated clothing) and first service.

True to my promise, I contented myself with firing it up and listening to it run. Then I sorrowfully committed it into storage until March.

Here are some pics:

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Looks sharp. Does it have ABS like you wanted? What's the engine size (I'm too lazy to google it)?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's got ABS with linked brakes. The ABS is undetectable in operation. The 2 staff members I talked with say they can never tell when it's kicking in. It hauls down very fast - you really have to brace yourself to keep from going over the handle bars. It won't stoppie though - ABS won't let you.

It's got 996 cc, enough to lift the front wheel in first using throttle only. Good enough for me - I have no higher aspirations. Reportly the most comfortable standard out there (except the Wing of course).

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Sweet! I'd never heard of this bike. Now I know why: it's available in Canada but not the USA. :confused:

·
Love My Baby
1,165 Posts
Ride well, my friend. Looks like a real beauty.

·
Super Moderator
11,972 Posts
Sweet! I'd never heard of this bike. Now I know why: it's available in Canada but not the USA. :confused:
Kinda...the 2010 700 model will be available here:
http://tinyurl.com/yb7xd2a

I always thought the phrase "I drank the Koolaid" in motocycle forums meant you bought a BMW...

Anyway, nice bike. Be cool if they imported the 1000cc models here also. Looks like a baby FJR... ;)

KM

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Knifemaker:
I always thought the phrase "I drank the Koolaid" in motocycle forums meant you bought a BMW...
Here it means I bought it on the basis of a lot of positive reviews and seating position but without having ridden it myself.

The Varadero is a fairly tall bike. But it's perfect for me. With seat height 33" I can just barely flat foot it.

The NT700 you linked is an updated Deauville, also a good bike but street only, not adventure touring as this one is. Not sure why it's designated "Varadero" in that website. It's not anywhere else.

·
Super Moderator
11,972 Posts
Hi Knifemaker:
The NT700 you linked is an updated Deauville, also a good bike but street only, not adventure touring as this one is. Not sure why it's designated "Varadero" in that website. It's not anywhere else.

I kind of figured it was a mistake, as I heard of the Deauville before. Guess some motorcycle writers do zero research... The only simular thing I noticed is they are both V twin motors.

Through the years there has been a pretty long parade of bikes offered in other countries but not offered here. Many of them looked to be really really nice bikes.

From what I have read so far, the only thing I can say is if the NT700 was available back when I was looking for a "smallish" bike to get, I might have got it instead of the Vulcan 750. I think as a commuter/everday bike with the ability to do some distance if needed, the NT700 seems to be perfect.

Althought now the Varadero looks to be more appealing ... ;)

KM

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
I kind of figured it was a mistake, as I heard of the Deauville before. Guess some motorcycle writers do zero research...
KM
Ha,ha, KM you think motorcycle writers make mistakes, you should see some gun magazines writers...
The 2 most stupid I have seen was a scope on a rifle backwards, and the second was a writer demonstrating proper steadiness & support when hunting & shooting a revolver, he was resting it against a tree and had his hand wrapped around the front of the cylinder, but look mom I can still write with my right hand...lol...
I'm no gun writer, but a lil common sense goes a long way sometimes...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Ba dum dum, ching...
542 Posts
So I'm thinkin' that it's made to compete against the V Strom 1000? Sweet bike, BTW.

R

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I`m glad to hear you and Diane are healing well. That`s a nice looking bike you have Phil. I have never heard of that model or the 700 Deauville before. I am looking forward to next summer though, when we may be able to get together for a ride. What mods do you expect to do to the new ride?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you, Ron G

So I'm thinkin' that it's made to compete against the V Strom 1000? Sweet bike, BTW.

No, its original carburetted version was introduced way back in 1998, 4 years before the V Strom. The DL1000 was made to compete with it.

No one's heard of it here because Honda never got around to introducing it to North America until this year. But it's a top seller in Europe, especially in Germany.

Ol' Hoss - I'm going to hold off on the mods until I get to know the beast a little better - but I would say an aftermarket windshield and top box are on the list.

·
At Least I Can Spell!
615 Posts
The surgeon gave us (me really) a stern lecture about the evils of motorcycling,
to whom I'd have to say, let me give you a few pointers on the evils of inexperienced, one-sided blabbermouths. With all due respect... STFU Doc.

·
Columbus, Ohio
523 Posts
The surgeon gave us (me really) a stern lecture about the evils of motorcycling, the cost to the public purse of treating riding injuries and how it should be banned.QUOTE]

Remember, surgeons kill more people than do motorcycles.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Well, I got to give him his props, the surgeon fixed both my wife and I up without killing us. And I met one other bike basket case he was working on when when we were in trauma. Not pretty at all, all busted from the pelvis on down and with seizures. Just married a year, I feel for his wife and hope they can make it through this together.

It would be hard to see that day in and day out like the surgeon does. So I let him say his piece, God bless him for what he's doing. I just decided it was better not to mention the tandem jump we did a few years ago. ;)

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Most folks that sky dive do it over land. Wet landing?:lockd::p

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No, we landed on the beach and retired to the hotel rooftop restaurant in the background. I never enjoyed a meal so much as that one. :)

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
I love the new ride,I have been drooling over a new 08 Interceptor Vfr 800 at the local Honda Dealer waiting for the big" on sale" sign to go on it,They offered an 08 Cbr1000 RR for $ 8500 out the door tax title and license included with the $2500 discount,but they are scary fast and a more aggressive riding position than the sport tourers,so am going to wait a little while and see what happens on the VFR's price.

·
Ba dum dum, ching...
542 Posts
...The surgeon gave us (me really) a stern lecture about the evils of motorcycling, the cost to the public purse of treating riding injuries and how it should be banned. We gray hairs were the worst, because though our faltering abilities made us unfit to ride we tended not to kill ourselves. At least the squids had the consideration to come off at 200 km/h so the taxpayer only had to pay for crash site cleanup...
Now I'm not going to comment on what the doc said. given that he was putting you back together at the time perhaps he has a little skin in the game so to speak. But why is it that whenever I show up at an family or friends event on the bike there's always someone who wants to give me a lecture on being careful. Sometimes I feel like saying "Well I was going to go out on the freeway and practice my wheelies but since you mentioned being safe I'll wait." What do these knuckleheads think I'm going to do. AND it's always some loudmouth that had a friend, boyfriend, brother, sister, cousin etc. that did something stupid and got hurt. Look, I'm an adult. I know the risks, I'm serious as a heart attack when I ride so shutup already and stop telling me how to ride when you've never ridden yourself.

OK, rant over, back to your lives citizens.

r

1 - 20 of 31 Posts