Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Rider on the Storm
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was cleaning my disk brakes when I noticed that the left bolt on my front wheel had almost fallen off!!!

Here is what the right bolt looks like...

Am I missing a part here??!!

Check your fasteners!!!!

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
No. The right side is held in place by the axle clamp bolt. The hole in the axle is for using a drift to hold the axle steady when tightening the left side bolt. The left side should be tightened to 43 ft-lbs. Finding something almost falling off gives you a moments pause. Glad you caught it before any trouble!

BTW...the clamp bolt is torqued to 14.5 ft-lbs.

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
You are mot missing a part. It was designed that way to aid in taking the front wheel off and on.
When loosening the nut on the left side, slide a screw driver into the hole on the left to prevent the axle from turning. Same thing when you tighten the axle back up..
Clymers manual, page 356 mentions this..
"10. Place a long drift in the hole on the right-hand end of the front axle to prevent it from turning"

·
Rider on the Storm
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
When loosening the nut on the left side, slide a screw driver into the hole on the left to prevent the axle from turning. Same thing when you tighten the axle back up..
OK, before reading your posts, I went ahead and snugged up that left bolt without sliding a screw driver in the hole on the other side to keep the axle from turning. Did that do any harm?? (I'm pretty sure that the hole on the right bolt didn't move.)

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
Torque on the front axle nut is 43 ft lb. I doubt you got past that.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Certainly is a good thing you caught it,:smiley_th but even if it woulda fallen off, the pinch bolts on the other end should've kept the axle inplace.

Another reason to do pre-ride checks often!!!

·
Chucklehead
1,050 Posts
Gee ... I really got hosed. Mine didn't have the pinch bolt when I got it (does now) and while trying to remove the wheels the other night, the boy and I all but flipped the bike upside down trying to remove both axle nuts. They are on tight, gonna have to trailer it in to work where I have air impacts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts