Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It sucked. Took me 8 hours between fabricating the stator plate and cutting the side plate. I used some playdoh modeling clay to transfer the hole locations to the plate I made. I used the top of the clay container lid as a template for the circle to cut the plate from a piece of 16 gauge steel I got from lowes. Worked out pretty good I only ended up cutting about 3/8 of an inch more after the initial cut. I used an automatic center punch and a scribing compass from harbor freight to outline my stator cover and the replacement plate.

I tried using a fiber cutting disc to get thru the aluminum plate for the stator but it took way too long so I ended up drilling small holes all along the cut line to save time. I used the 30$ micro air grinder from harbor freight as mentioned in another post I think. Worked out well, was pretty quiet but I used it mainly for sanding down the burrs and ridges from the drilled areas. I know I had to open up the holes for the screws on the stator plate I made from 5/32 to about 7/32 to get everything to go into their screw holes without binding or cocking.

After it was bolted up it ended up looking really nice. I took the time to replace the upper pickup coil with the aftermarket 30$ one I got online. The ears on the part were too small to to the pickup coil mod to it without compromising the frame of the metal bracket so I could only get it to like .030.

I will say that I had to grind literally all the ribbing and even the screw "mountains" down almost to nothing in order to get the plate to sit flush against the engine. I ended up with a minimal gap that rtv silicone would fill. I don't recommend using the rubber o rings if you make your own tuxedo mod kit as they will be ineffective since I had to grind down the conical screw mountains in the cover, which is where the o ring seals against. Instead I had to use rtv on all the screws to seal the oil in. I also ended up grinding the cover to accept the stator wire grommet. This was a pain in the ass because I needed up having a hissing leak afterwards that I'm still dealing with. I put my 3rd round of rtv around it hoping it'll be the last. I ended up ripping some of the stator wire insulation doing this back and forth with a flat head so I sealed it with more silicone. Pray for me.

I used a Ebay stator and regulator kit for like 50 bucks new. It works so far. I'm getting 12.9 to 13.1 volts at idle and 15 max during riding. I relocated the new regulator behind the left fairing plate in front of the shock with 2 zip ties. I also cut the old bullet connectors for the stator wiring harness and used some waterproof crimp connectors instead.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
I wouldn't worry much about the rtv. I have had to replace a few stators and have only had one slight oil leak that I fixed by putting a glob of rtv on the outside
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top