Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10,518 Posts
There's an orange wire on the kill switch that jumps from the kill switch to the start button, it should have power with the key and kill switch on.

From the start button, the wire runs to a solid state relay, start relay, in the Junction Box. This solid state relay triggers the normal starter solenoid.

Check the pinned threads in the electrical section, there's a color wiring diagram.

Does the neutral and oil light work when you turn the key on?

·
Registered
10,518 Posts
unfortunately i have no instrument cluster, the custom shop removed all of that sadly, so i cannot answer that currently. i assume the wiring has been tucked into the aftermarket headlight housing, or removed entirely
That's ok, see what you have on that orange wire, there's a bypass mod you can do if the solid state relay is bad.

Which reminds me... Do you hear a faint click from the Junction Box when you hit the start button?

If the orange wire has power and the button works but no faint click, the solid state start relay is bad. Don't need it anyway.

·
Registered
10,518 Posts
So, there's a y/r wire feeding into the stop switch at reads 12.7v with the key on, and switch off. The red wire coming from the stop switch reads 11.5v when kill switch is off, and 12.7v when on. Red wire at the starter button reads 11.9v with the kill switch off, and 12.7v when on. With the button depressed and the kill switch on, it still read 12.7. With the kill switch off, The black/red wire coming from the switch reads 11.4v, when depressed 11.9v. With the kill switch on, it reads 12.4v not depressed, and 12.75v when depressed. Is this normal? To me, it seems like it's back feeding in, I would think the black/red wire would be 0v when not depressed at all times.

As for the neutral light, it is getting 12v coming into the connector, regardless of whether it's in gear or not. The oil pressure light wire has no power.

Edit: I do not hear any clicking from the Junction box.

Find the 10-pin plug on the Junction Box and look for the black/red wire, some bikes will have an all black wire instead, being 2002 I think it should be black/red.

Probe the wire with your meter and see if the wire gets 12.7v when you hit the start button.

If that wire gets power with the start button, then you need the Two Wire mod. Or you can get a new Junction Box.

·
Registered
10,518 Posts
So i spliced the y/r and bl/r together as found on the forum, and still nothing. any advice on what to check next? im guessing the igniter box? if i jump the posts on the starter relay itll kick on the starter. i should say that the starter relay looks a little crusty, maybe replacing it would help? but still, it seems like its back feeding into the starter button, even with the two wire mod done. i suppose it might be time to fullky unwrap the wiring harness to get a real good look, i just want any advice i can get before jumping that deep into it.
If you put 12v to the yellow/red on the solenoid, will the starter crank? If not, the solenoid is probably bad.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts