Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the car tire; Vredestien 165H R15 mounted at the local shop this morning and took the back road home. Very nice! I am impressed with how it handles so far. I am heading out for a longer trip now. More updates later.

·
Calif Rider
725 Posts
Is the tire round like the bike tires are, or they sort of flat across the tread. It would seem that if it flat it would be a little harder to get the bike to lean into a turn. Do you feel a difference in the turns compared to a rounded bike tire.

·
Vintage bike addict
859 Posts
No pictures?

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I read about car tires on the rear wheels of Nomads, over on the VROC forums last summer. This is the first I`ve heard of a vn750 going to the darkside though. Did you have to make any mods, other than just changing out the tire? It seems that on the big twins, at least one guy had to change something to make it work.

On the big bikes, the owners said it didn`t take very long to get used to the different handling characteristics of the flat treaded car tires. There were a lot of benefits, including longer tread life and a much lower cost over the life of the tire.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
I have heard of this ,but frankly , it just scares me. The thought of having a car tire, radial no less,on the back of a motorcycle with a bias ply tire on front would bother me, I don't even like to mismatch brands of motorcycle tires.Car tires are designed to rest flat on the road surface ,whereas motorcycle tires are designed to keep the maximum amount of of tread surface on the road even at high lean angles.Even if you don't aggressively push your bike in corners you are still losing valuable contact area.No doubt the car tire could wear longer as it has a flatter contact area when the bike is upright.Safety for my style of riding or longer tire life ,seems like a easy choice for me. This is one band wagon I'll stay off of,Denny

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got the car tire; Vredestien 165H R15 mounted at the local shop this morning and took the back road home. Very nice! I am impressed with how it handles so far. I am heading out for a longer trip now. More updates later.
I rode it 250 miles yesterday! After taking on all kinds of roads from 4 lane hwy to roughly paved county roads. The only thing that I noticed differently was tracking on some grooves in the roads. I imagine that this will get better when I find the sweet spot.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is the tire round like the bike tires are, or they sort of flat across the tread. It would seem that if it flat it would be a little harder to get the bike to lean into a turn. Do you feel a difference in the turns compared to a rounded bike tire.
The Vredestien looks similiar to a motorcycle tire and rounds nicely on the edges. I did not notice any extra effort to lean into a turn.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No pictures?
:doh: Not yet I was too busy riding yesterday and today we are going to Grants Farm in St. Louis with the grandbaby. I will post some on Monday.

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
Last year around mid-summer there was another guy posting here, (don't remember who) that also got a car tire on the back of his bike. I believe it was in this forum, and also titled something about "the darkside" if anybody feels like digging...

·
Love My Baby
1,165 Posts
Without question a car tire is less safe on a motorcycle. Car tires are not designed for much leaning and they can rupture much more easily during a high speed lean. If you don't push the speed too much and don't lean into turns too much, probably nothing will happen, but you take a BIG chance because you only have two tires and if one goes at high speeds, you're road rash!

They probably call it the Dark Side because dark is the color of death by suicide! But who am I to talk?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I read about car tires on the rear wheels of Nomads, over on the VROC forums last summer. This is the first I`ve heard of a vn750 going to the darkside though. Did you have to make any mods, other than just changing out the tire? It seems that on the big twins, at least one guy had to change something to make it work.

On the big bikes, the owners said it didn`t take very long to get used to the different handling characteristics of the flat treaded car tires. There were a lot of benefits, including longer tread life and a much lower cost over the life of the tire.
There was another VN 750 (One2 I think) who went to the darkside but I havent seen any recent posts from him. No mods were needed the 165 fits nicely.

I got on it and didnt have any trouble and I didnt notice much of a change in handling other than I noticed some of the bigger grooves. I put on 20,000 riding miles last year alone and went through 2 metzlers. Thats quite a chunk of change. I have been researching this extensively and have not found a downside.

·
Registered
363 Posts
[ I put on 20,000 riding miles last year alone and went through 2 metzlers. Thats quite a chunk of change. I have been researching this extensively and have not found a downside.[/QUOTE]

that sure is a lot of riding . and going thru two tires sure would be expencive in one season. looks like you have done your homework on this subject , hope it works out for you . enjoy and be safe :rockon::beerchug:

·
Registered
409 Posts
I'm curious - can we get a pic?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
It actually does look a lot like the old Goodyears that the old '72 E-Glide I had came with,Cute kid too,If you are happy I am tickled pink,Just not the route for me as I am known to do some footpeg dragging and the potholes in eastern Ky can upset the apple cart with performance motorcycle tires, Good luck on it and keep us posted,this is interesting.Denny

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
If you want the photos to show up in your post, open a second window and go to the gallery of your photos. When you have the photo you want to post in the center, looking at the enlarged view, right click on the photo and select "view image". It will load the photo only on a blank page. Copy that url in the address bar by highlighting it and hold down the control key and hit the C key. Then go back to the other window where you are typing your post and click on the little yellow mountain image in the tools above the posting window. It will open a link window. When that window is open, hold down the control key and hit the V key to paste the link into that window. Click on OK and it will put an image placeholder with that url on your page. You will see the photo when you submit your post. Hope this helps!:beerchug:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts