Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished an engine rebuild on my bike to fix a coolant leak. Had the cylinders rehoned, replaced a worn camshaft and rocker, and bought new rings. Only to have it drop a valve 10 miles in and completely trash the front cylinder!!!

I don't share this as a sob story, but as a "What would you do?" post.

I'm torn. I don't think it's worth fixing this engine, as I'm estimating it'll need 4 valves, 1 cam, 1 rocker, 1 piston, 1 cylinder at a minimum. Back of the envelope math says it'll be over $1000, not counting incidentals.

Do I try to find a working engine, potentially inheriting someone else's issues?
Do I rebuild this one (again)?
Do I part it out and move on to another model?

It'd be easy if I had just bought it and this happened, but I've got emotional equity and sweat equity into this. I can swallow the $1,000 I just put into it rebuilding it. It's "only" money.

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
What’s more important? Riding, or riding a VN750 you put your back into? Is it your only bike? I can understand the emotional equity. If it was me I’d want to ride. If I had the room I’d get another bike and eventually get another engine. I’m not sure I’d ever try to tackle a rebuild anyway but that’s me. I saw at least one engine on eBay for $650. I’d part out whatever else I could spare to recoup my costs.

·
Registered
7,647 Posts
If you like the VN750, keep yours for parts and try to find another one that runs and rides.

Still considering selling mine, just kind of waiting to find out what sort of cure I get for my spine. Certainly would love to hop on it and take a ride right now.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How about a used/good motor? There's a reputable shop nearby.
I'm waiting for a call back at the moment.
I see used motors for about $650 on Ebay.
Then I can transfer my modified stator plate to the new engine before mounting it.

Otherwise,
I found a 2004 VN750 for $2800 with 17k miles. It has saddle bags and highway bars...so it's tempting as well.

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
How about a used/good motor? There's a reputable shop nearby.
I'm waiting for a call back at the moment.
I see used motors for about $650 on Ebay.
Then I can transfer my modified stator plate to the new engine before mounting it.

Otherwise,
I found a 2004 VN750 for $2800 with 17k miles. It has saddle bags and highway bars...so it's tempting as well.

Not sure how far you are from Waucondo IL

Check out this 1992 Kawasaki Vulcan 750 shared from the CycleTrader iOS App.

https://m39t6.app.goo.gl/tMxij

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

A bit over 1hr drive. Not bad! Front tire looks old with tire shine, but otherwise quite clean. I can just swap my tire/rim in. There's a couple in the 2000s for sale not far too.

·
Premium Member
515 Posts

A bit over 1hr drive. Not bad! Front tire looks old with tire shine, but otherwise quite clean. I can just swap my tire/rim in. There's a couple in the 2000s for sale not far too.

Definitely not bad looking for a 28 y/o bike. I don’t like those tires anyway. Not so sure why they’d put shine on the treads! Anyway, Sounds like you have options.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am changing my signature to my new ride! It is a bittersweet moment.

R.I.P. :crying:

In memoriam:

'89 VN750 Bought stock 4/12/18 @ 17805.9 miles $800. Wrecked once. 27454.5+ miles. Blown Engine.

Completed modifications:
Removed mufflers, straight pipes out of GB. 110/90 Front Tire. Pick-up coil mod. Shindengen MOSFET FH020AA r/r. USB Outlet + Voltmeter. Repainted Metallic Blue w/ new tank bages. Ear Shave (wo/ coasters) 40/140 NO shims 45MPG. MCCT conversion. Tuxedo Mod. Ignition coil mod. Windshield. LED Side markers.

Planned modifications:
(Possible) ignition adv.

·
Registered
7,647 Posts
Can't see signatures from phones, and didn't get the app to view when you were buying.

edit: Made it to the desk. Looks good!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts