Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After a month of fiddling with her, I finally broke down and brought my baby to a shop. The problem that has been plaguing me was that she got super sluggish and bogged down (almost like one cylinder firing inconsistently), then eventually die altogether on lower RPM's. After a while, she would eventually run great all the way through the powerband, only to then sputter out and die 10 minutes later. Waiting a few days would then make her fun again for only 10 minutes, rinse and repeat.

So I brought her to a shop near me. They took apart and cleaned the carbs, fixed some messy work of mine from the rebuild, and said she's good to go! Well if you see me posting on this forum you know things aren't running right.

Now what's happening is above ~30 mph the bike does the exact same thing as before, although now the problem is happening all the time. Very sluggish and bogging down. I immediately brought it back to the shop after picking it up. The theory that the mechanic at the shop gave me was that one of my pod filters was in direct view of the forwards wind, therefor forcing air into that carb. I was unsure, only because I've had 900 miles since the rebuild with pod filters without ANY issues. So I come to you handsome folks once again to beg for help :(

Any ideas?

(I'd like to note that over those 900 miles the bike would become sluggish just like this problem, although it only happened 2-3 times ever. After riding for a while she would begin to bog down. After waiting a minute or two on the side of the road she would start right back up without issues. Almost like the phantom out of gas issue. Now it's become a regular occurrence. I have a new tank that's properly vented btw.)

·
Super Moderator
2,569 Posts
carb vent hose.. either not in clean, non-turbulent air, or its kinked.

since you shaved, common location is under tank, either secured to top of frame rail, or connected to the nipple on the cover for the fuel sender unit

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
carb vent hose.. either not in clean, non-turbulent air, or its kinked.

since you shaved, common location is under tank, either secured to top of frame rail, or connected to the nipple on the cover for the fuel sender unit
One of the things they fixed was the carb vent hose. They relocated it to under the tank, cut at a 45 degree angle. Before I had it sticking out on the right side of the bike directly in the wind

·
Super Moderator
2,569 Posts
relocated to under tank is not enough, it needs to be above the frame rails, or on top side at minimum (where mine is), and for what its worth (shouldnt be an issue for you tho), mine is cut square. next thing would be to check that the vent lines from both carbs are going into a T fitting, then up under tank. or make sure they didnt hook the wrong hoses to the vents (I have heard of shops that put the fuel feed from petcock onto the vent ports)

·
Registered
108 Posts
relocated to under tank is not enough, it needs to be above the frame rails, or on top side at minimum (where mine is), and for what its worth (shouldnt be an issue for you tho), mine is cut square. next thing would be to check that the vent lines from both carbs are going into a T fitting, then up under tank. or make sure they didnt hook the wrong hoses to the vents (I have heard of shops that put the fuel feed from petcock onto the vent ports)
fully agree. Michigan helped me with the same issue you have. After the shop fixed the carb - the lines were hooked up incorrect. his knowledge helped greatly.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You think the height of the carb vent tube would fix that? I'll check it out though :) As well as whether they hooked everything up correctly too

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
You think the height of the carb vent tube would fix that? I'll check it out though :) As well as whether they hooked everything up correctly too
I agree with teddybear. try putting the hose on the nipple (I LOVE saying that word )on the sender.that's a common problem people have with the earshave

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
there's a nipple on the bottom of the fuel gauge sender that most hook the carb vent line to

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Wait, sorry. The carb vent hose on what now? The petcock vacuum?
No..

They said the fuel gauge sender, not the petcock.

It's in the middle, directly under the tank (ON the tank itself.) It's a square plastic piece with a nipple on it. Use that nipple for the carb vent hose.

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Happy ending

·
Registered
7,676 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Still won't run well above 30mph? Stalls out, when?
It's the same exact issue as BEFORE I brought it into the shop. She stalls and is sluggish at all speeds and will die when idling. It's almost like she's running on one cylinder, like one isn't getting enough fuel then it kicks in and gets the gas at WOT. That's how I got her home after stalling out on me mid-ride: I kept gunning the throttle and keeping it between 4-7k RPMs. Accelerate, decelerate, accelerate....Constant throttle will make her very sluggish. If you slow down and stop, it will die.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
are you flooding out?sounds like a stickydirty float needle

·
Registered
7,676 Posts
Do you smell gas and/or see black smoke at the pipes? (flooding)

What does it do if you pull the choke when it's acting up? Dies? - flooding ... Picks up and runs - starving for fuel

A clogged pilot jet can act the same way, but it would be starving for fuel at idle-low rpm, then come on full power at wide open throttle when it runs off the main jet.

#1 - mechanic made the suggestion about the pod filter in the wind... So I question the carb work.

Also, you could try pulling a plug from each cylinder right after it dies and see if they're wet or dry, black or a light tan-white.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
are you flooding out?sounds like a stickydirty float needle

It runs fine at wide open throttle, wouldn't that just burn off any excess gas in the cylinders?

Do you smell gas and/or see black smoke at the pipes? (flooding)

What does it do if you pull the choke when it's acting up? Dies? - flooding ... Picks up and runs - starving for fuel

A clogged pilot jet can act the same way, but it would be starving for fuel at idle-low rpm, then come on full power at wide open throttle when it runs off the main jet.

#1 - mechanic made the suggestion about the pod filter in the wind... So I question the carb work.

Also, you could try pulling a plug from each cylinder right after it dies and see if they're wet or dry, black or a light tan-white.
I haven't tested it with the choke on, I'll try that..

Pilot jets I just cleaned out with carb cleaner. I took em out and sprayed em real good. Would the actual jets be clogged or part of the idle circuit?

Yeah, I'm starting to question the mechanic's opinions and work too. Granted he placed the carb vent tube IN THE WIND. I'm starting to wonder if he even did anything...

I'll check out the plugs, definitely. If she's only running lean for a very short while, would you see the plugs immediately turn that tan-white or does it take some time for the conditions to show on the plug?

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
that's why it runs at higher rpms and not down low when flooding.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts