Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

81 - 97 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
I love this one! This is what I think I'll do! To bad my bike is missing those covers, ill just have to order some new ones unless I find any cheep

·
If only it had 6th gear..
1,100 Posts
I love this one! This is what I think I'll do! To bad my bike is missing those covers, ill just have to order some new ones unless I find any cheep
heres some on ebay for a reasonable price.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KAWASAKI-VULCAN-750-VN750-FRAME-NECK-COVERS-PAIR-VN700-/150561036384?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item230e231860

drives me crazy that the right side has a hole in it by the rad cap tho. what the hell is the purpose of that? you can't do anything with it unless you take the neck cover off anyway! please someone enlighten me so I'll feel better about it. I need to know the logic.. if there is any, lol. I like the plug on there though. good job. it looks almost like standard issue.:smiley_th
Dave.

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
Battery tender comment. I had my battery tender hooked up like yours. I plug it in everytime I'm done riding. A couple of months into the season my battery seemed weaker. I took off the seat and noticed the ground lead from the tender had broken at the battery terminal from the weight and flexing of the seat. After I rerouted it along side the battery ground cable ( away from the battery ) I had no more problems. Maybe your custom seat won't cause this but thought I would let you know.

·
Big Dumb Viking
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Last time I had the seat off, the wire still looked good. Thanks though!

·
Just a regular guy
833 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I bought a battery tender with the SAE-2 end and a 12v female cable that had an sae-2 cable end on it too from amazon. The whole thing is only costing me 10 bucks. I will try and upload pictures when they come in.

·
Registered
22 Posts
----inside the headlight bucket, i have a pair of wires that i think are accessories leads---has anyone used these for a accessory outlet for a gps / ect?

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
----inside the headlight bucket, i have a pair of wires that i think are accessories leads---has anyone used these for a accessory outlet for a gps / ect?
there are 2 sets of accessory leads....one in the headlight bucket and one by the battery box. they are ALWAYS hot and do not turn off with the ignition.

I wired my driving lights to the set in the headlight bucket, but use the battery tender leads from the battery to power GPS, phone charger...etc.

·
Sparky!!!
8,696 Posts
Read posts 29, 68, 75, and 79... pay particularly close attention to post 68 and 75. as this is the best way to utalise the said accessory wires in the HL bucket, so as not to drain the battery.

·
Chasin' the blacktop
1,498 Posts
.Here's another a way to install a semi- weather resistant female 12v socket plug that is fast and easy. Buy a Diesel brand power socket (item # 360-57208, $11 at my local Petro truck stop). Cut off the alligator clip ends and drop the wire between the handlebars, the triple tree, and the wire bundle from the left handlebar. (see picture) which hold it fairly securely. It has a rain cover (pretty cheap cover). Hook to the spare wires in the headlight bucket. Took me about fifteen minutes (bet I can do the job in 5 minutes next time) and no long wire runs. Since I already have one of those small $10 USB cigarette lighter plugs (also available at most truck stops) I can also charge my phone, Ipod, or just run my GPS using a retractable USB cords and minimize any extra wire.
The plug happens to sit under my slightly angled wind screen so in addition to its cheap cap it also has a bit of protection from the rain.
I've got a $6 motorcycle GPS mount ordered from E-Bay and since I use a tank bag the phone or Ipod can ride in the tank bag (10” from the plug) while charging with very little loose wire flapping in the breeze. Generally I don't use a GPS but I've got a 400 trip in an area I don't know well planned in a week (praying for sunshine) and I prefer the back roads.
For those of you who are having a hard time seeing the plug it's directly below the speedo.

Attachments

·
Big Dumb Viking
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Just started looking through this thread. Found this on amazon http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-081-0069-8-Cigarette-Disconnect/dp/B0041CDPQO/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1366814661&sr=8-7&keywords=sae+2+pin+connector Basically your sae-2 connector already soldered to the 12v outlet, and for only seven bucks. Figured I'd share for those looking for the plug and play route.
Excellent! That wasn't available back when I created this thread. If it had been...well, I would have gone that route. *grin*

:smiley_th

I'll go edit my original post and add this to that. Thanks!

·
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)
674 Posts
I just did my power adapter installation. I made the wires off of the adapter waaay too long but they're simple enough to shorten up. This was an incredibly easy thing to do. Thanks Asbrand. (Wherever you may be. I wonder what happened to him....)

81 - 97 of 97 Posts