Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
voltmeter

asbrand,

Your voltmeter is very cool. can you tell me where you bought it and how to mount it?

Thanks,

H.
---
2004 vn 750

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
here is where I mounted my plug and I hardwired it it to the accessory circuit

·
Big Dumb Viking
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Your voltmeter is very cool. can you tell me where you bought it and how to mount it?

Thanks,

H.
Lance328 (member here on the forums) bought it, fashioned the casing for it, and mounted it. You'd have to ask him. :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
GC: there is a set of wires in the headlight bucket for accessories, they each have 2 bullet connections. Very simple hookup. The negative is black/yellow and the positive is white/blue.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Asbrand: I never remove the windshield, so it is not a problem. It is mainly attached to the windshield support, the extra tie to the handlebars keeps it from moving around.

·
Cruisin' through my 50's
115 Posts
denny6006;136515 <picture not show> here is where I mounted my plug and I hardwired it it to the accessory circuit[/QUOTE said:
Looks good Denny. For a second I thought I was looking at my bike, same color scheme and same location for outlet. Your outlet looks to be more securly connected then mine, good job.

Now you have to find a use for that reflector you removed...

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Looks good Denny. For a second I thought I was looking at my bike, same color scheme and same location for outlet. Your outlet looks to be more securly connected then mine, good job.

Now you have to find a use for that reflector you removed.

I already have ,I took some pinstripe tape and made an Icthus and then painted it black and removed the tape.It has been on my back fender where the license plate light/holder was located.I think your bike is probably the one I got the idea from or somebody else's but I was a copycat on the plug location.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Very informative and well illustrated but I did it the lazy mans way. Pluged the ac outlet into the accessory plug ins under right side cover and just suctioncup the GPS to my tank and plug the gps in when I use it on the bike.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Though I'd pass along that gpscity.com has the mount and bracket for about $38 after shipping compared to about $52 at ram-mount.com. These are the parts I ordered:

RAM Mount Garmin nuvi 200W 465T Cradle RAM-HOL-GA25U and
RAM Mount Steel U-Bolt Cradle Plate Mount 1.0 inch Ball
Model: RAM-B-149U (I ordered with SS hardware instead of zinc to avoid corrosion)

Also, if you are considering a nuvi, it would be worth an extra $30 to get the 265wt because it has free lifetime traffic and hands-free bluetooth. Bluetooth would be especially handy if you use wireless intercom. You can get directions and take calls through your headset.

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
I mounted mine just above where yours is....left the reflector in place. And I used stainless 8-32 flatheads to mount it. works great with the Garmin!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I've been procrastinating and I haven't bought the mount yet. Thanks for the heads up on the cheaper site, I need to get on that eventually.

·
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)
674 Posts
Ok how about the operation of the actual GPS device? I have a pair of Nuvi's, I forget the specific model numbers, for my pickup and car. They work great with my fingers.
But how does it work when moving wearing gloves?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have perforated leather gloves that are tight and they worked great. My heavier, cold weather gloves were tougher, but still worked. I was basically just toggling between map view and the screen that shows speed, direction, etc. I didn't try to make changes "on the fly", that gets a bit unsafe. Made those changes at stops.

Dudley

·
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)
674 Posts
Thanks. I basically want a GPS for gas station locations as I ride. Secondary reason is actual navigation. I love using the ones in my other vehicles as they made it virtually idiot proof when I had the occasion to drive from Georgia to Washington state twice last year. I used those for navigation. But with the short range of the Vulcan, gas is more of an interest when rolling across territory new to me.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I would mount my gps on the gas tank between my legs on long trips here in Florida, until this past winter when we actually had some really cold weather, i drove passed a rig, the wind draft changed so did the warm air from the wind around the crotch and bam there goes the screen. Since you have the windshield it would make the world of difference nice job

·
Big Dumb Viking
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I've been procrastinating and I haven't bought the mount yet. Thanks for the heads up on the cheaper site, I need to get on that eventually.
So...did you ever get the mount and start using the gps? :)

·
Registered
278 Posts
Asbrand,

I'm looking at doing something similar for a trip next Spring. Was wondering how you liked your GPS set up and would you do anything different in hindsight? How have you dealt with wet weather and keeping rain off the unit?

How about anyone else who has GPS on their scoot? Any pros or cons you can share? Different set ups? Thanks for your input.

John

·
Big Dumb Viking
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Haven't had to deal with wet weather because I'm a wuss and won't ride in the rain. :)

I just figured if I get caught in some, I'll take the GPS off and stick it in my jacket or in the trunk of the bike. I knew it was a trade-off, because the waterproof Garmin (the Zumo) is like $500 or more. The one I got was under $90.

And, so far...I'd not change a thing. Been loving it. :)

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
I bought a RAM mount for my Garmin. Perfect fit and very secure. I just pop the GPS out of the mount and put it in my pocket if it starts to rain. Also installed a marine grade
12V recepticle to plug the GPS into and get the MSN data.

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
I still say I have a map, and remember how to read one. how do you find the scenic routes with the gps.

41 - 60 of 97 Posts