Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 97 Posts

·
Big Dumb Viking
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks for putting all your information together Asbrand, I think I'm going to do exactly the same to my bike. I Have all the stuff bought / ordered, just need to track down a cheapy SAE-2 extension cable and then find some time to play.
I found mine at Autozone. It was like $2.50 or so.

Let me know how it all works out!

Which GPS did you get?

·
Registered
192 Posts
I found mine at Autozone. It was like $2.50 or so.

I found mine there too; made a trip to Wally World for the zip ties, heat shrink, and outlet. Since I already have a pigtail, I just need to decide where I want to position it. I'll probably just use mine for charging my cell phone until I decide if I want a gps. Heck, I may not need the outlet at all; I want it just because and just in case.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
And...for those who want to know where I got the parts...

The 12vlt All Weather Cigarette Outlet I got at Wal-Mart in the automotive section. About $9. Got the heat shrink tubing there too...about $4.

The SAE-2 extension cable I found at AutoZone for about $3.
Thanks asbrand, your pictures got me motivated to install an outlet on my bike too,I already had the waterproof one with the rubber cap/plug and made for flush mounting so I just put it in the right neck cover like that other picture, I think you posted.I need to get an outlet like you used for my atv ,it will work better on the old Honda than this flush mount one would have.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Here is where I installed mine. I use it for my volt meter.

where did you get the meter and your voltage is low LOL,but I am serious about the meter

·
Registered
83 Posts
I've had a GPS for a while, I havn't bought the bracket for it yet because I keep forgetting to look at the model number >.<

I'm waiting for my Pigtail to come in, and then I'll work on doing the install. It probably wont be this weekend because I have my safety class. I've also got to start my voltmeter project and install a new chrome grille cover. I really need to find some more free time, lol. I'll make sure to get some updated pictures of everything too, I still don't have any with my new bags on either.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
It is a little low, but if you notice the bike isn't running and the lights are on... so a little drain on the battery would be normal.
Actually the bike is running. It is at about 800rpm. Also at that time I had the meter running off of the light curcuit. Now I have a relay off of the lights circuit and the meter off of the asesory wire in the light bucket. Works better.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Got it Auto-Zone, little over 10$.
I want one! I am going to install a second outlet about where yours is behind my little fairing windscreen combo,just for the voltmeter,has any body here seen those rear view cameras at advance with the little screen, that would look about right between the tach and speedo.The camera mounts on your license plate and from what me and the guy at the store could see it is a pretty wide angle and has a range of at least 250 feet straight back. I am trying to talk myself into it as a safety feature.It is priced at 79 bucks what 's the opinions here,I am tired of the cops sneaking up on me and every body else,I have to run spots on my mirrors with the narrower bars and my wide body even to see back there if you know what I mean.

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
i thought about it but i live in an apartment and the bike lives outside

·
Cruisin' through my 50's
115 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
I made the harness and installed it this weekend, everything was great. I did learn however that I suck at soldering, lol. It probably would have helped if i wasn't using materials i bought for less then a dollar, but it got the job done.

The unit i have in the 12V adapter is actually a USB power converter that I was using to check for clearance. I'll actually be able to use that for all kinds of stuff (phone, Ipod, ect.) or to just hook up the GPS unit once i buy the mount. I ended up leaving most of the wiring zip tied behind the side cover for now until i decide where i want it inside the battery compartment.

·
Big Dumb Viking
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Looks real good there, man. :)

How did the heat shrink tubing work for you?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Very good, I left the beads of solder a little thick so I made it a bit more annoying then it should have been, But i worked it out. I just had to pull them over with a pair of pliers. For the money, it's a convenient little project. Having your pictures to go by made this a quick little 25 minute deal, I appreciate the work you put into it.

I haven't bought a mount yet but I checked everything with my Ipod and it charged it up nicely. Now I'm on to installing a Voltmeter, once I figured out what style i want.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Handlebar cigarette outlet mount.

I mounted my outlet on the handlebars and windshield mount to run my GPS. Benefit: I can tell if it is operating by the LED light on the plug-in adapter. Wired into headlight bucket.

Dudley

·
Columbus, Ohio
523 Posts
Neat. This inspires me to get busy.
Other than the universality of a lighter plug, what's to keep you from eliminating the lighter socket and plugging the pig tail directly to the gps with a modified cable?
For my purposes, I can see hooking my gps up, but not a cell phone and probably not a radar detector. I already have the pig tail hanging exposed from the right side from under the seat so I can charge it without removing the seat. The gps would not be used in rain, and the pig tail doesn't get wet where it is.
I have a voltmeter I plan to hook directly to the accessory wire inside the bucket...I did not realize that splicing it to the light wire would be less efficient. What do I need to worry about using the accessory plug? Should I cut it off and hardwire the voltmeter to that wire or use the plug?
What about running the voltmeter AND the gps (via pig tail type connector)from the accesory plugs found in the bucket? I believe there are two of them.

·
Big Dumb Viking
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Many GPS units have some sort of FM traffic receiver built into the cigarette plug adapter. Others have a chip in them that tell the GPS they are plugged into power instead of a computer (when plugged into a computer, they don't load up maps, they just recharge and are set for updates).

As for your other questions...I have no idea. My voltmeter is hardwired.

·
Big Dumb Viking
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I mounted my outlet on the handlebars and windshield mount to run my GPS. Benefit: I can tell if it is operating by the LED light on the plug-in adapter. Wired into headlight bucket.

Dudley
Only problem I'd see with that setup is if you wanted to get quick release connectors for your windshield. You'd have to cut off the zip ties to the outlet every time you wanted to remove the windshield.

Other than that...looks like a handy place for it. :)

21 - 40 of 97 Posts