Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
One thing I failed to mention is that when bypassing the switches the way I described your neutral light will be on all the time

·
Registered
42 Posts
No Spark

ok guys this is the easiest way to bypass all safety switches look at this picture

on the 10 pin connector shown in the bottom left of the picture you will see the number 12

locate that wire on your bikes junction box and strip the insulation back enough to connect a jumper wire

attach the other end of the jumper wire to any form of ground you wish

you can ground to the frame or the motor or take it straight to the negative terminal on the battery as long as it is grounded

with correctly working safety switches in place they are meant to create a ground for the starter relay when in the correct position but by jumping pin number 12 on the junction box to ground you are allowing the starter relay a constant ground thus bypassing the safety switches all together

FOR THE CREATIVE MINDS here's something else to ponder you only need an active ground on that wire when starting the bike so after it is running you can disconnect it meaning if you wanted to add a push button valet switch in the jumper wire and hide it somewhere easy to reach but hard to see then you would be able to only start your bike when you press the hidden switch and the starter button at the same time
So if this doesn't provide spark I'm guessing stator or pick up coil is bad?

·
Registered
42 Posts
ok guys this is the easiest way to bypass all safety switches look at this picture

on the 10 pin connector shown in the bottom left of the picture you will see the number 12

locate that wire on your bikes junction box and strip the insulation back enough to connect a jumper wire

attach the other end of the jumper wire to any form of ground you wish

you can ground to the frame or the motor or take it straight to the negative terminal on the battery as long as it is grounded

with correctly working safety switches in place they are meant to create a ground for the starter relay when in the correct position but by jumping pin number 12 on the junction box to ground you are allowing the starter relay a constant ground thus bypassing the safety switches all together

FOR THE CREATIVE MINDS here's something else to ponder you only need an active ground on that wire when starting the bike so after it is running you can disconnect it meaning if you wanted to add a push button valet switch in the jumper wire and hide it somewhere easy to reach but hard to see then you would be able to only start your bike when you press the hidden switch and the starter button at the same time
Will this work for the 85 vn 700?

·
NEVER TO OLD TO RIDE
111 Posts
I would add to cut the black and white wire , and the yellow black wire coming out of the ignitor and solder them together and run a wire from the soldered connection directly to the ground lug on the battery. tape off the harness side wires just for safety. this mod seperates the ignitor safety switch circuit from the starter relay safety switch circuit. the ignitor needs ground on the black white wire to produce spark, and gets it through the sidestand switch when driving bike. The mod op mentioned will work fine providing harness is good from ignitor to jb , mine wasn't. I did a simiiliar mod and got the starter working but still
no spark , jumped the sidestand switch at the connector , still no spark, grounded the black white wire at ignitor connector and spark worked great.
If you have no spark , running a wire from the ignitor connector black white wire to ground is a good test to eliminate the sidestand switch and all associated harnesses and connections.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Outlaw, have you tried this, and if you have does the neutral light still work? And I'm assuming this doesn't effect the starter relays at all?

Reactions: Z-Rider

·
Registered
130 Posts
I gave this a shot and it does work, however now I've noticed that my fan is on at a low speed. If I beep the horn, the fan speeds up to full speed during the entire time I hold the horn button. Also, the start button works once, but once I let go and try it again it does nothing. Is that normal?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I gave this a shot and it does work, however now I've noticed that my fan is on at a low speed. If I beep the horn, the fan speeds up to full speed during the entire time I hold the horn button. Also, the start button works once, but once I let go and try it again it does nothing. Is that normal?
Are you trying to hit the button while the engine is running?.. If so that would be normal... But shutting down the bike and restarting it and it not werking then would be abnormal

·
Registered
1 Posts
Cant thank you enough for this! I was at the end of my tether with a starter circuit issue on my GPX750R. Applied this and sorted :)
Cheers
Gary

21 - 34 of 34 Posts