Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can anyone tell me how I can remove the swing arm from the frame.
(and also disconnect the drive shaft joint from the gearbox)

I'm rebuilding a VN750 but I can't find out how the swing arm it is fixed to the frame.
I already took the 14mm nut & 3 allen head screws off both sides but I can't get the arm off.

Attached are some images of the parts I'm talking about.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
You see those round circular things in the first picture? They are the swingarm shafts, what it pivots on. There is a threaded hole in each one, you screw the proper sized bolt (and I can't remember the size) into them, and pull them out. the swingarm will then come off, and the driveshaft will disengage from the bevel drive gearcase and come off with it. When you put it back on, you will need to check and adjust the clearance between the swingarm and the frame on the left side. It's good you already have the exhaust system off, as you have to remove most of it to get the swingarm off.

If you are going to be doing a lot of work on this bike, I suggest you either download the service manual from here, or get the Clymer manual. I got the Clymer manual, and found it to be excellent. Jerry.

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
m5x.7 is the bolt size

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a lot Jerry.

I assumed the threaded hole was to fit a bold to remove the swing arm shaft. I've tried but couldn't pull it out. I probably have to lift and support the swing arm a bit to get it out.

I've downloaded the Service manual and Clymer Manual from tocmanufacturing.com
Very usefull.

Getting the bike apart isn't that much of a problem. Overhauling the engine, carbs, gear etc and putting it together probably will.. :) Anyway.. the bike will be rebuild to a custom build bike. At least I know it was running when we started..

You're right VulcanJoe. The bold size is M5.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts