Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been riding with Chads floor boards and just love them. Never had any before. Problem occurs when trying to brake. The pedal is as high as can go, and it only reaches the top of the foot board. Makes it difficult to really press down. Learned riding on dirt bikes, so that was always the go to brake. Now the front gets all the love.
Any suggestions?

TIA

·
Prowling Tiger
2,048 Posts
Have you adjusted the rear of the braking system At the rear wheel?
x2! I looked at a pic on Chads' website and it looks like his brake pedal sits higher than the floor board. If there is a lot of travel before the rear brake kicks in, then adjust the nut forward some. Might want to put bike on center stand so you can spin the tire and gauge when the pads just touch the drum surface. If that's fine and it still travels too far, then the pads are too worn or the cable linkage is too stretched out and needs replacing.

·
Super Moderator
11,959 Posts
First off, to can adjust the pedal so it sits higher. You likely will need to re-adjust the brake cable at the wheel when your done.

And you can do what I did. Shape and bend a piece of metal to bolt on top of the pedal and cover it with a clutch pad from a small import:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/72157602271287392/

·
Prowling Tiger
2,048 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ahh. Thanks KM, Just what I was looking for.:beerchug:

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Hey! KM!! I like that idea! That could make a lot of difference in keeping solid grip on brake pedal when trying to apply pressure AND it looks ALOT better! :smiley_th:smiley_th:smiley_th

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I was going to suggest KM's mod for the brake pedal but he beat me to it...lol
I plan on doing this myself at some point.

If I recall correctly....at the botton of the brake lever there is a return stop that can be adjusted with a wrench(look under the fllorboard area). It stops the "up" travel or resting position of the brake lever.

Once you get the height set, you will need to adjust the rear drum adjustment like mentioned previously.

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
Lol I just fixed this problem for a member. I cut a piece to bolt to the brake pedal and he is going to put a rubber pad on it.

·
Registered
8,250 Posts
I lucked out and found a Kury pedal cover for a buck, just a guess but it raised the pad height at least 1/2" to 1".

Look at the pedal stop bolt and see how high it's sitting, as said, you can re-adjust the brakes if you move it. The bolt is under the rear of the pedal where it mounts to the footpeg.

·
Super Moderator
11,959 Posts
Yes, the pedal lever goes on to a splined shaft just like the shifter. The problem
here is you can only position it so far before the arm of the lever hits the peg.

It is important to make sure the brake adjustment at the wheel is as close as possible. There should be a write up in the Verses on how to do this properly for this bike.

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great suggestions. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So found out the pedal stop was too high. Lowered that, readjusted the pedal and works great. Thanks for all the help.
Gotta love this site.:rockon:

·
Registered
21 Posts

·
Prowling Tiger
2,048 Posts
Dunno if anyone has suggested this yet, but the OP could shorten his/her leg to make a taller brake. Just sayin.... :D ;) :p

·
Super Moderator
11,959 Posts
Well then I'll also add that one can remove the pedal, put it in a vice, heat it up with a torch and bend it so it had a sharper arc.

This will raise the pedal when returned to its original spline position on the bike.

It's also possible that some bikes have fallen and the pedal has been bent some.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts