Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

How to load a 750 into a pickup truck?

2K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  WilliamTech 
#1 ·
Have an older pickup with 8 foot standard bed. Pair of 7 foot aluminum ramps. Looking for devices or methods used by forum members to safely load a 750 into truck (alone-no helper) without backing into a ditch or up against an earthen embankment? TIA.

#3 ·
^ That

I can't think of a safe way to do it yourself.

Your ramp, is it flat and solid, or one with a grid design? The grid usually fights you.

Remove both back wheels from the truck and lower it as much as possible? I'm kinda kidding, really.

Honestly, you'd have to not care about the bike, truck, ramp, and your body to attempt it. It's just too much for one person, that's why you see videos of people crashing when they try to ride up a ramp into a truck.

When I was using ramps with my truck, I made pins that stayed tethered to the ramp, and drilled holes in the tailgate for the pins. Why? Because I flipped a Polaris Sportsman over backward off the truck when I spun the ramp out from under me.

#5 ·
Get Help.

Seriously, do not attempt to ride it up the ramp. Ask a neighbor (or two) to help you. Buy them a six pack if need be, but get help.

Do to the angle and wheelbase of the bike, the edge of the truck will hit the lower frame unless you have a ditch or something to make the ramp level with the truck bed. You'll need someone on both sides of the bike and really need one more to help lift at his point.
So....

Get Help. ;)

#6 ·
Looking around, I see there are powered one-man loading ramps available now. Only about $2200. *cough-cough*

This guy says he has $50 in this one-man loading ramp.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...ike-Ramp.pdf&usg=AOvVaw0iST-KbnCTOw16pyp_18aD

Last time I looked, it cost almost $50 for a ramp kit at Lowe's (two alum. brackets and two 2x6 boards). We'll probably build the one in that link for my buddy's box truck, if we don't find an aluminum ramp.

#7 ·
I loaded a non-running 750 into truck bed using one friend, harbor freight aluminum ramps, and backed up to a slight hill (maybe halved the distance to the ground). Couldn't have possibly done it alone. Could have used a winch to pull it up the ramp, if things had gotten desperate, but like KnifeMaker said, the angle of the ramp and the tailgate will cause the bike to bottom-out hang up, and most likely fall over.

I did manage to load a 750 into a black widow hitch carrier from level ground by myself, but it was a functioning bike and I was able to feather the clutch while walking beside the ramp. Was uncomfortably dicey, so I had a friend help push it up the ramp without motor assistance the next time I loaded it.

#8 ·
I used to regularly load motorcycle into a pickup by myself. I backed up to a hill and then pushed (slowed?) the motorcycle down as it rolled in to the truck bed. Would use 2 x 6 or such to transition from hill to vehicle.

It wasn't too bad because I had a good spot to do it. I agree would be pretty treacherous without!

GDI

#9 ·
OK - I think I "got" it.

Was thinking I could make a "rack" of some sort & fasten it to truck bed. Then have a winch to help me pull bike up. After reading the responses, I'm going to forget trying to load the bike without a helper or two. Thanks for all replies. :|

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
I live in a Motorhome with a homemade (steel) triple hitch bike carrier mounted on the rear, with an addional car towbar hitch mounted to the rear of it (about 30" off the ground).
(great way to travel)
I have a (single) foldable 8'?- 9 ' aluminum travel ramp ($300.00) which securely notch's in carrier rack (curbside)....drive the bike up is treacherous .....prefer one guide to the rear of motorhome as a muscle helper should I lean left.

....future hiccup's falling against the motorhome or to the left to the ground when motoring to front wheel choch scare the sh*t outta me.
I have performed this 4-5 times.

I never look forward to this & glad I do not perform this often.....maybe every couple of years....
be smart....be careful ....

WilliamTech3 (originally WilliamTech) :carryflag :pepper:

#14 ·
I live in a Motorhome with a homemade (steel) triple hitch bike carrier mounted on the rear, with an addional car towbar hitch mounted to the rear of it (about 30" off the ground).
(great way to travel)
I have a (single) foldable 8'?- 9 ' aluminum travel ramp ($300.00) which securely notch's in carrier rack (curbside)....drive the bike up is treacherous .....prefer one guide to the rear of motorhome as a muscle helper should I lean left.

WilliamTech3 (originally WilliamTech) :carryflag :pepper:
I remember that setup you have. You still drive around like that or are you just in one place right now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.