Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so... no, I'm not looking to go on a bike theft spree.
I think I've got an ignition switch problem. In fact, I know I have a problem. I have had to turn it past the start position & turn it back for the bike to be operational. I'm going to take it out & clean it up & what not. But I'm looking to test the bike with the switch removed. Eliminating it from the equation.

This weekend for the 1st time in 7 or so years & many thousands of miles.
Scarlett left me stranded & had to be piggy backed home.
I have not started to look into the issues yet but I wanted to get an answer to this before I started.

Thanks in advance.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
Ok, so... no, I'm not looking to go on a bike theft spree.
I think I've got an ignition switch problem. In fact, I know I have a problem. I have had to turn it past the start position & turn it back for the bike to be operational. I'm going to take it out & clean it up & what not. But I'm looking to test the bike with the switch removed. Eliminating it from the equation.

This weekend for the 1st time in 7 or so years & many thousands of miles.
Scarlett left me stranded & had to be piggy backed home.
I have not started to look into the issues yet but I wanted to get an answer to this before I started.

Thanks in advance.
I believe you have the the fix.
Do not believe it is necessary, .......read/interpret the schematics.

:smiley_th

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok so question... Could the ignition switch be the culprit of my bike siding while riding?
Turn the key to the on position, I have power, it will turn over but won't catch.
Could one of the contacts in there cause this? Or am I fixing the ignition cause it needs fixed anyway & I've got another issue.

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
i believe if you was to jump power from the battery to the main fuse it might be what is needed to hot wire the bike not sure but it could work

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got it! Turns out a faulty ignition switch will allow you to have power but not run.
I took it apart last night. Cleaned the contacts, stretched the springs & reassembled.
Scarlett fired right up. Just to be sure it wasn't a flook I repeated 10x
No more turning past & coming back to start. I should have done this a long time ago.

·
200% senile
164 Posts
Glad that solved the problem. It's also a reminder to the rest of us to do this 'before' we have the problem, which for me usually occurs out in the middle of nowhereville. :)

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
Glad that solved the problem. It's also a reminder to the rest of us to do this 'before' we have the problem, which for me usually occurs out in the middle of nowhereville. :)
which if im not mistaken is exactly where you live lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts