Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched older posts and havent found any information on how to tighten the tach. On the back of the tach the screw is in all the way and tight. But that thing wobbles like crazy. any easy fixes???

·
Patriot Guard Rider
825 Posts
My tach does the same thing. I just haven't made the time to pull it apart and figure out how to tighten it down.

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
I have searched older posts and havent found any information on how to tighten the tach. On the back of the tach the screw is in all the way and tight. But that thing wobbles like crazy. any easy fixes???
I put a piece of 1/2 inch clear plastic tubing about 3 inches long sliced down the middle and wedged it over the bracket and into the hole on the tack. No vibration whatsoever and you don't notice the tubing. :smiley_th

·
Super Moderator
11,944 Posts
The screw at the back only holds the cover on... It has nothing to do with how the tach is mounted to the bike.

However, you can take a thin piece of metal and build a "bridge" between the tach and the speedo....by using those bottom screws.

Just make it as wide as the distance between each opposite side of the gauges and mark the spot where each screw is located. Drill a hole for each.... Don't use too thick of a piece of metal or you'll have to find longer screws.

This will tie the two gauges together and help dampen out the shaking.
I think Diana may have a photo of how she made hers like this.

KM

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
The screw at the back only holds the cover on... It has nothing to do with how the tach is mounted to the bike.

However, you can take a thin piece of metal and build a "bridge" between the tach and the speedo....by using those bottom screws.

Just make it as wide as the distance between each opposite side of the gauges and mark the spot where each screw is located. Drill a hole for each.... Don't use too thick of a piece of metal or you'll have to find longer screws.

This will tie the two gauges together and help dampen out the shaking.
I think Diana may have a photo of how she made hers like this.

KM
I wrote a reply earlier but hit the wrong key and didn't post...lol...
Anyway, what KM said, but keep in mind that some of the shake it to protect the inards of the tach. from the strong vibes..
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Registered
137 Posts
heres what I did to both the speedo and tach when I replaced bulbs with LED's , took a 2in piece of 1/4 fuel line cut that in half "lengthwise" un bolted the bracket and placed both halfs on on top of and one below the bolts put bracket back on tighten down snug so you will be squishing the fuel line..... I did this to both sides and now both are SOLID even on the bumpy gravel county rode I live on:smiley_th

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well today I got gutsy. I am not very mechanical what so ever. So I take the tach/speed cluster off the bike by taking off the two bolts. I then took the screw off of the back of the tach (that holds the chrome back on). Took off two screws in the back of the cluster. Took one bolt off of the mounting piece for the tach, and slid the chrome piece down. Noticed the nuts were barely on. Looked at the speed mount side noticed there was washers on the back of the nuts. I simply put two washers on the tach side. And tightened the speed nuts on the speedometer side which were laso a little loose. Put it all together and tested the firmness by hitting as many bumps as i could. Nothing moved. The whole process took about ten minutes. No I didn't take pictures because I just wanted to get it done.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts