Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Quiet rider
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just unsuccessfully attempted to drain out stale gas in my tank by disconnecting the rubber fuel line at the bottom of the petcock. Nothing would come out in either the "run" or "reserve" positon. I assume the engine has to be running and that the gas is pumped via engine vacuum through the petcock?

Question: what is best (least troublesome) way to drain the tank without removing it?

Thanks is advance.

·
On His Lady Vulcan
1,647 Posts
Use the Prime setting, free flows and doesnt require vaccum to flow like the other two settings

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
wk ,it is only the first couple of years that the vn750 had a prime position. He has a later model with run, reserve and off.

greyound, my suggestion is to find the vacuum hose to the middle nipple on the petcock and disconnect it from the engine so you can apply vacuum by sucking on it or getting a syringe that will fit the hose and pulling back on the plunger. If you have a longer piece of hose that will fit the middle vacuum nipple, just pull the hose from the engine off the petcock, and apply vacuum by sucking on the hose. Unless the petcock is broken, you shouldn`t get any gas in your mouth. Gas should flow from the hoses on both ends.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Once you get as much drained as you can, put the bike on the sidestand and tie a rag to a stick. Use it to sop up the rest of the gas. While you've got it dry, take a flashlight and mechanic's or dental mirror and look all around to see what shape the inside of the tank is in. Hopefully, no significant rust.

·
Quiet rider
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Once you get as much drained as you can, put the bike on the sidestand and tie a rag to a stick. Use it to sop up the rest of the gas.
By doing this, aren't you risking damaging the fuel gauge sending unit or perhaps the petcock stem??

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
By doing this, aren't you risking damaging the fuel gauge sending unit or perhaps the petcock stem??
Possibly, especially if you aren't careful. You can see the petcock location and it should be easy to avoid. The main thing I would be concerned about regarding the sending unit would be catching the rag on the float arm, but it is pretty much in the middle of the tank.

Even this method may not get "all" the gas out. If you want to get it all, think you will need to pull the tank.

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
How bad is the gas in the tank? I would remove the tank, pour out the gas that's in it, then pour some more gas in, shake the tank around real good, and pour that out. It is very difficult to get all the gas out, the best way is to remove the petcock while you have the tank off. But you will probably need to replace the petcock o-ring to prevent it from leaking when you put it back. Jerry.

·
Quiet rider
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Possibly, especially if you aren't careful. You can see the petcock location and it should be easy to avoid. The main thing I would be concerned about regarding the sending unit would be catching the rag on the float arm, but it is pretty much in the middle of the tank.

Even this method may not get "all" the gas out. If you want to get it all, think you will need to pull the tank.
I ended up pulling the tank. Drained / shook out as much as I could out the fill opening. Then used "mechanical fingers" and a rags to sop up as much of the residue as possible. It wasn't until after that it occurred to me that the gas gauge sending unit and petcock stem could have been harmed by this process. Most concerned with the sending unit float as you stated. Will see. Not too big a deal but it was one of those :doh: moments when I thought about it afterword.

·
At Least I Can Spell!
615 Posts
one more addition to the thread....

Since I recently had my dent repaired and the tank repainted one color, I pulled my tank and also wondered what I would do with the gas. After removing the gas cap I dumped what I could into a gas can using a big funnel. Then I carefully unscrewed the petcock assembly and gently slid it and the two stems out of the tank. Finally, I held that hole over the funnel and got rid of the rest. Really, the only thing left was residue and fumes.

When I got the tank back I reassembled everything carefully (and tightly) and poured the gas from the can into the tank... along with a little Seafoam of course. Started it up and rode off.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts