Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I need help in choosing a windshield for my '04 Vulcan 750. I am very confused. First of all, I am a 5'2", 108 lb female. I returned to riding after many, many years off, and am just now starting to ride at highway speeds. Without a windshield the wind almost blows me off the back of the bike, whipping my head back, so I'm holding on for dear life, which doesn't make it a pleasurable ride.

My questions are many: do I choose a tall or short windshield? Wide or narrow? Handlebar mount or fork-mounted? With a fork-mount do the signal lights have to be re-located?

I would appreciate any advice that you can give me. I've been staying off the highways because of the discomfort of the wind, and it's stifling me! Help!

Thank you,
Carolyn

·
Registered
62 Posts
Carolyn,

"do I choose a tall or short windshield? Wide or narrow? Handlebar mount or fork-mounted? With a fork-mount do the signal lights have to be re-located?"

It really boils down to personal choice, but here is a little bit to consider.

Since you're not very tall, most windshields you'll find are going to be a bit tall for you. This is not such a big deal unless you are in a situation where something on the windshield is obscuring your vision (rain, bugs, etc). This gets even more dangerous if you ride at night and the oncoming lights are reflecting off the grime on the windshield. The general rule of thumb is usually have the shield just low enough so you can peer over the top of it. This should keep 90% of the wind off your helmet while still allowing you to see clearly even if the thing is covered in bugs.

One of our members, Rita, won a Kawasaki V-force windshield at our group rally last year (see the Kentucky Lake posts). I helped her install it. It's too short for me and the wind would certainly still hit me in the helmet. However, Rita says it's the perfect height for her and I think she's a good several inches shorter than me. It's also a narrow shield. It only spans about the same width of the handlebars minus the grips.
You can find the V-force at http://www.kawasakivista.com/vn750a.htm
You might find it cheaper than the price they list if you look elsewhere.
The V-force is mounted at the handlebars and at the light-bucket bolts. It's very stable. The one thing I disliked about it, if I were to use one (and if it wasn't too short for me) is that there are no "lowers" built in. You will still get a blast of air that comes over the front of the fuel tank. Of course, you can buy stand-alone lowers to remedy this.
The windshield on my 750 is a National Cycle Plexifairing III. It has built-in lower wind guards and I love it. The sides are far enough out that there is virtually no wind at all on my hands. This helps on the cold days!
The PFIII is a taller windshield, but it is possible to "shave" it down to a height you like.
Just because this post is plenty long enough already, and because I'm rarely here these days, I'm going to also include a few small tips about windshield care.
NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER use windex or any amonia-based cleaner on a plastic windshield. It will etch. Same goes for paper towels - keep them away! Use only a mild detergent and water and apply with a squirt bottle or a 100% cotton cloth. Use only vertical strokes - never circular or horizontal. Also, no Rain-X! If you read the label, it says it's not to be used on plastic. If you want some sort of coating on the shield use 100% carnuba wax (such as Mother's). Use this only after completely cleaning the windshield.

Hope this helps in your decision.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response! It gave me a lot of good information. I knew I wouldn't have a problem with a windshield being too short, but definitely want to cut as much wind as possible. So, width is important, too.

I've been considering the Kawasaki V-Force, but they only come tinted and I'm not sure if I want a tinted one. Makes it hard to see at night, like wearing sunglasses in the dark. :)

I have also been looking at the Plexifairing windshields because they cover a larger area.

I also don't want to have to relocate my front turn signals if I don't have to. So, I'm still looking and considering. But again, thank you for all the good advice!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey I looked hard for a good windshield for my 750 and the windshield I choose was the plexifairing 3 by national cycle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Boats001 said:
Hey I looked hard for a good windshield for my 750 and the windshield I choose was the plexifairing 3 by national cycle.
Did you have to move the turn signals or make any adjustments?

Cheers,
Brian

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have the Plexistar 2 on my bike. It is the same as the Plexifairing 3, except without the lower extension. It did not require any relocation of turn signals or any other hardware. It can be a little tricky getting the angle adjusted to your liking. However, once it is mounted, you can take it off in less than 5 minutes.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi Carolyn
I used to use the OEM Kawasaki windscreen on my 2002 750. Ok around town, not too much on the open road. I just put a Memphis Shade Santa Fe style windscreen on my bike.
Dont go by what their website says about only fitting upto year 2000. I spoke with a Kawi dealer who did some checking, and it does fit. You will not need the turnsignel relocation kit.
I got mine on just fine without it. I just finished a long weekend ride thru Yosemity..Tahoe and back down via Feather River Canyon and I can tell you this screen was a big help.
If you would like to see pics, email me and I will send you some. If you already have your new screen..best to you.
Ride Safe...Ride Happy...Just Ride
Ernest

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've got a Memphis Shades Shooter windshield on mine. It was about $130.00 at a local cycle shop and included all of the mounting hardware. I wanted a smaller shield, and with the gauges and everything up top I wasn't wanting to relocate the turn signals. One of the ladies from the shop brought out a sizing gauge so I could see what size each one was. I've been riding with it for four weeks or so now I guess (have to check my blog.). You can see a picture of the bike at mrbun.com

·
Rider on the Storm
1,287 Posts
Plexifairing 3

As I've said elsewhere on this site... I have a love-hate relationship with my Plexifairing 3 windshield.

1. I very much like the coverage, especially since I often ride my bike to and from work ~ a 20-mile round-trip, spring through fall ~ and I don't want to show up with splattered bugs all over me! The other evening, for example, I got caught in a thunderstorm, and when I got home I was basically dry from just below the knee to the top of my head. This is precisely why I chose the Plexifairing 3 over the Plexifairing 2 or some other kind of windshield with less coverage.

2. When all the clamps are tightened, the windshield stays secure, even on the interstate. Every once in a while I need to make a slight readjustment (usually the fork clamps), especially after hitting a large, unexpected pothole. As a result the gap around the headlight varies between .5" and 1" ~ but the wind that comes through isn't significant enough to matter, even when I'm using a loaded tank bag unstrapped.

3. What I don't like are the optics, especially in the top 2-3" of the windshield. I'm 5'9" and I look right through that section when I am sitting up straight. The visual is distorted, if ever so slightly, but still enough to be occasionally annoying. I've tried adjustments that enabled me to look over the top, but I really couldn't get it low enough ~ plus, again, it's the full coverage that I value most in the first place. However, I've only been using it for 1,600 miles, so I think I will wait and see if I adjust! (I may end up using a smaller "summer shield" and pull out the tall-&-side Plexifairing 3 for cooler weather.)

·
2FAS4U
469 Posts
http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs..._ID:2000643&productId=2000643&catalogId=10111 This is the shield I am using. I am 5'8" and do not like looking through a windshield on my bike. It fits aroung the factory turn signals. The only mods I had to do to it were to tuck my horns under it, and the mounting bars that come with it have a curve at the end. I cut the curve off and made them straight. It is easily removable for cleaning and maintaining the bike.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
I was looking at a similar one of those on ebay (Viper Fairing). Thought it might look pretty good on the Vulcan.

You have any pics of it on your bike ?

·
Gnarly Jokester
1,796 Posts
What model number of the Plexifairing 3 fits Vulcan 750's ?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts