Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Have a 1989 Vulcan 750 A-5 and I recently pulled back the boot on the drive shaft showing the u-joint area! it was dry so I greased it with moly 60, as for the final drive area can you just drain it,and then refill where that little screw is on top (allen screw)? and if so what kind of lube do I use? I only have 8800 miles on this bike. Should I also remove the rear tire and re-grease the other end of the spline?

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
Fergy has an excellent write-up on the spline lube
http://pages.tstar.net/~fergy/writeups/final_drive1.html
As far as the front splines in front of the universal, don't be alarmed since these don't get much movement and a spray of white lithium is all they really need. The moly will do fine too since you have fone that. The biggest concern as far as splines are the ones conneted with the pinion gear at the final drive "pumpkin". Fergy's write-up will step you through that.

You really need to get a service manual and one is available online here
http://www.tocmanufacturing.com/Products.htm
scroll down until you see
Other Links:

Link to VN700/750 Service Manual in PDF format (WARNING 117MEG file) click here

Right click the underlined here and do a "Save as" to download the manual to your PC.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Drain with the small plug on the bottom. Fill through the large plug above the small one. Make sure you can remove the large plug before you drain the fluid.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Step 1 - Warm up the vehicle by driving it for 5-10 minutes. This will help the oil drain more quickly. CAUTION - Exhaust and other parts of the bike may be extremely hot.

Step 2 - Support the vehicle on its centerstand.

Step 3 - The final gear case access is located on the left rear.

Make sure to place a drain pan in position, then remove the filler plug. I used an adjustable wrench for this, as I'm not sure what socket fits this plug. It's at least a 23 or 25 mm, which unfortunately I don't have. If not using a socket, take care not to damage the bolt.

Step 4. The drain plug is located on the left, at the very bottom of the gear case.

Remove the drain plug (10 or 12mm socket). It also contains a small aluminum washer, make sure not to lose this. If it is in any way damaged be sure to replace it.

Step 5 - Allow the oil to drain completely. You may wish to spin the rear wheel in reverse to ensure all oil has been drained.

Step 6 - Replace the drain plug and fill the gear case with the appropriate amount and viscosity of oil. The manual recommends:

150 ML of API GL-5 hypoid gear oil. When above 41 degrees F, use SAE 90. Below 41 us SAE 80. The manual also indicates a GL-6 gear oil may be used.

I opted for a multi-weight, 75W-90, Mobil 1, as I do plenty of riding in both kinds of weather.

If you were located in sunny CA you might want to opt for the higher oil year round. Use your own best judgment as to what kind of conditions you actually ride in.

Step 6. Replace the filler plug. Be sure to wipe up any stray drops of oil from your rims, and avoid contact with the braking system. Take the bike for a short test drive and inspect for leaks.

Final drive oil should be replaced every 7,500 miles, or more often depending on your riding style.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Great tutorial!

Harvey,

From one who is "mechanically challenged", thank you for a great tutorial. The '01 I bought came without ANY records, and while it had had 9400 miles on it and looked as if it was extremely well taken care of, I'm getting ready to change this, and your pics have been a great help - very clear!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just found this thread and it was a great help for me. I wasn't sure how to drain the final drive oil. This post was perfect. Thanks "Harvey birdman" for your help.

Mark

Enon, Ohio

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
You've been digging around in the basement it seems.

Have you looked through the Vulcan Verses yet? Alot of good stuff in there too. ;)

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Like Harvey I also use the 75-90W Mobil 1 Synthetic...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
75 W 90? thats synthetic! you should use the Hypoid gear oil it calls for thats 80W90
Awww, I'm a warm weather rider, don't ride when the temp is below 50* so the 75 vs 80w don't bother me...
BTW-Whats that yellow oil filter on yours, didn't know maw Kaw. called for the new PureOne oil filter on the VN750...lol...
Just kidding, have a good one...Old Dog...

·
At Least I Can Spell!
615 Posts
following the advice here I did this yesterday. What I drained out had the appearance of melted chocolate ice cream. I'm betting in almost 9500 miles it's never been changed. Filled it up with the thick, golden 75W-90. Rode it and no leaks. thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Only thing it seemed to be missing was showing the removal of the allen headed screw and using that to fill er up. If you use that it is easier to do, then all you have to do is watch til the oil hits the threads of the large bolt.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Only thing it seemed to be missing was showing the removal of the allen headed screw and using that to fill er up. If you use that it is easier to do, then all you have to do is watch til the oil hits the threads of the large bolt.
Jace, I had also wondered about that allen headed screw, but didn't know what it was for so never messed with it... So you are saying you can just take it out and fill from there and just watch for the oil to hit the threads, right...??? Sounds better for an almost empty jug of oil anyway...

·
Super Moderator
11,865 Posts
To be clear here, you should add oil untill it hits the threads of the LARGE bolt, not the allen bolt above it.

You should spin the wheel some while adding the oil to make sure it the level is correct.

I always just add the oil until it starts to run out of the Large bolt hole, then I wipe it off and re-install the bolt.

+1 on the Mobil One synthetic. Smells real bad but works real good.

KM

·
Registered
950 Posts
Yeah, Knifemaker I'm not quite so well versed as you, but that is what I meant. Old Dog when you use the allen headed bolt (or grub screw) hole the tip of the gear lube bottle will fit it nicely.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
I plan to do this in a week or 2. Am I right in assuming that the Moly 60 goes on the gears and after the hub is back on, it then gets filled up to the threads of the fill hole with 80W90 synthetic oil? Can anyone tell me how much goes in there. Does it take a quart or should I have 2 quarts ready?

·
Registered
950 Posts
yeah use the moly 60 on the splines. but for the gear lube is the 80w90 but you don't need quarts, its more like ounces. a single bottle will get you a few changes out of it.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
To be clear here, you should add oil untill it hits the threads of the LARGE bolt, not the allen bolt above it.

You should spin the wheel some while adding the oil to make sure it the level is correct.

I always just add the oil until it starts to run out of the Large bolt hole, then I wipe it off and re-install the bolt.

+1 on the Mobil One synthetic. Smells real bad but works real good.

KM
Thanks KM, I ment the large hole threads, just failed to make it clear...

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Thanks Jace, I appreciate the info. What's the best to use, the Mobil synthetic or the Kawi recommendation? :)

·
Registered
950 Posts
Personally sythentic back there. It may cost more, but you hardly use any. So baby her.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts