Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Git-R-Done!
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...to other cruisers, like Harley Sportsters, or equivalent Honda or Yamaha scoots? I am not talking about top speed, but more like off-the-line type speed?

Now, I am not saying that I, nor suggesting that anyone, would even consider wanting to put up a bit of a challenge if they pull up to another such bike at a light or something - I would never dream of such a thing! Lol

BUT, just for discussion's sake, if I were to do just that, or if maybe you have, what kind of bike were you next to, and how did you fare? I am not a hot rodder by any means. But given that fact that I do have testosterone running through my body as part of my genetic makeup, this is a question that has gone though my head.

So how about it fellers (and ladies) - any stories, experiences, or just plain opinions to share?

:smiley_th

AZ Kev

·
Big Dumb Viking
597 Posts
Dunno about other bike, but I usually leave Harley Sportsters sitting there like they aren't moving. And I'm not even trying hard...

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
its in my signature if I didnt remove it!

crap, I removed it for room for mods and links. it used to say "eating 1200's and crapping 883's!

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
asbrand & wib714--And y'all let on like Harley riders are stuck up, or something...lol...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Registered
555 Posts
In the city I live in people are always trying to race on the main drag. I have left other motorcycles in the dust maybe around a dozen times usually harleys. Only once a kawasaki ninja kicked my butt.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
i ride with a 99 1200 sportster with a screaming eagle carb and vance n hines pipes my stock 94 has no problem leaving him for dead from from light to light or on top end. ran with a 800 intruder a couple of times it was a close race from light to light :smiley_th

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
asbrand & wib714--And y'all let on like Harley riders are stuck up, or something...lol...
just not the ones that "stepped down" to the harley from a vn. but we wont mention no names old dog! LOL

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I know it's faster than a stock to mildly modified 5.0 Mustang! (the old ones, at least) lol

·
Git-R-Done!
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, sounds like my suspicions were confirmed - that my bike, the VN750, is pretty darned fast. I know I was a little taken aback when I first "got into it" after buying it and realizing just how quick it was. I haven't yet had the chance to actually 'test' my theory by having anyone pull up next to me to give it a run.

Then again, maybe they did pull up next to me hoping to do so, but I left them in the dust so terribly, I didn't even think they were! Lol. I am not much of a racer myself, but I would be lying if I said I didn't enjoy the quick acceleration of a motorcycle. And like my friend used to say - "It's not about breaking the speed limit, just getting up to it very quicky!"

Thanks for sharing your experiences everyone. Happy - and safe - riding all.

:smiley_th

AZ Kev

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
I will say this, due to the power to weight ratio plus the gearing combo, I could always get a heck of a hole shot from the vn750s I owned... I could just nail the sucker and out of the hole like a shot... Back when I drag raced a bit (on track mostly...lol...) but a street car...
I had a 66 Dodge Coronet 500 w/426 Hemi, my meanest competition (on track) was the 66-67? Chevy Nova with the 375 HP 327 modded to higher than stock RPM & HP... I could always expect to get jumped off the line due to the lighter Nova & front to rear weight ratio, but some where about 1/2-3/4 way thru the 1/4 mi. they knew they were getting passed... I made some nice pistol grips out of those trophies, the bases were nice natural black walnut back then, not foil faced compressed board like today...lol...
All those days are long gone for me now though, I just love ridin the twisties, either with the vn750, or my xl1200 Sportster, either will & do drag a peg, and make the hair raise on the back of your neck now & again around those twisties, and friends thats what its all about, at least for me... I know neither are crotch rockets, but I don't think either are geezer glides either... I'm not an interstate or city rider. ...
I don't trash someones elses ride, wife, child, or whatever, and in return don't like anyone trashing mine, especially when they don't know either...
My last vn750 was a not so good 06 used one I bought after wreckin my very good 06 and letting the Ins. Co. total it out, so since my luck didn't seem very good at used bikes, I decided to not buy another used one... So this is 09 and there are no new vn750s to be found, so I decided to try the xl1200 C Sportster, it being, in my mind anyway, a fairly close match to the vn750, and that is what went down... I had the money to pay cash and ride, and I've been very happy ever since... Heck, at my age, I figure I deserve a bit of happy every now and again...lol...
I've always liked the folks here on this forum, still do, and will hang around and support it, anytime I can ... Y'all come on down, or up or whatever, and lets ride...lol... Shucks, I'll ride anywhere between the Trace and the BR Pky. ...lol... I'll even cross the Trace and go to Shawnee Shores if they'll have the gatherin...lol...
Have a good one...Old Dog... (you too wib714...lol...)

·
Straight roads are evil
580 Posts
It's routine for sportsbikes to disappear in the rear view mirror when the road gets tight. When it opens up, they go far ahead of course, can't match their top speed.

And yes, you can scape pegs on the VN750. I don't like doing it, but have, several times. Gotta lean it WAY over....

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
"It's not about breaking the speed limit, just getting up to it very quicky!"
AZ Kev
Speed limit here is about 21MPH... So that might not apply to this town lol.

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
just for the record, I look down on no other bikes either! like I always said, I'll wave to the guy riding an 82 puch moped when I pass them. two wheels is two wheels!
I just looked at a 09 vstar 650 with custom paint and chrome with 3900 miles on it for $4000.00 if I had more than an 8x10 shed to put it in it would have been tempting!

·
Heading to the DARKSIDE!
177 Posts
I also second that......TWO wheels "IS" TWO wheels. We are all just as easily ran over by MORONS drinking overpriced Starbucks coffee and Texting while driving!!!!!! I wave at everyone from Goldwingers to Chinese Scootheads ( I just wish the scoot dudes would not beep those silly sounding horns when they wave....it's embarrassing!).....HA HA! Oh Well! I just get so sick of the attitudes of "MOST" Harley owners that i am not riding a "REAL" bike because it's not overpriced "AMERICAN HERITAGE". I bought a bike that I like because of it's style.....and I could afford! I have no problem with Harley owners.....It's all about TWO WHEELS ....right?......as long as they have no problem with me. I did my part to support American Heritage.....I bought a 2000 Chevrolet S-10.......it's a huge piece of junk!(Trans. replaced at 100,000 mi....pathetic!) I wanted a truck with a TOYOTA emblem on it......but my credit wouldn't let me at the time.:beerchug:

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
It's routine for sportsbikes to disappear in the rear view mirror when the road gets tight. When it opens up, they go far ahead of course, can't match their top speed.

And yes, you can scape pegs on the VN750. I don't like doing it, but have, several times. Gotta lean it WAY over....
I owned a 750 that was very fast with the upgrades including ,both power and handling ,It would eat my 1500 up to say 60 mph but after that,the 1500 will keep hammering.I could rife with the fast packs int the twisties too,but if you want to claim out handlling sportsbikes on crooked roads you aren't riding with very capable riders.an inline 4 race replica with a cabable rider aboard if it is 750 cc's or above is going to wait on anyone on a vn750 if the road gets crooked,if you left them in the mirrors they either didn't Know how to ride or let you.

I loved my 750 but i realized exactly what it was ,which is probably the best running mid weight v twin cruiser that handled very well.But it wasn't a full on sports bike,just a very good handling cruiser.That being said some of the older sport bikes in the hands of a novice rider would have be wrecked in the attempt to keep up with me on familiar roads,The newer ones with over 100 horsepower are extremely fast and will go around a curve like they are on rails. while I now ride one of the Geezer glides (I love that term OD).I will still scrape floor boards on the roads I know, but it is kinda hard to pitch almost a half ton of rider and machine around on a very curvy road I am unfamiliar with.Theres not much room for error there,but on a stretch of deserted 4 lane in Eastern Ky it will go fast enough that they start looking crooked at very high rates of speed.

the moral of the story..Ride what you like and like what you ride ,just realize they all have different purposes and ride within your ability and don't be a bike snob ,Either way! If it has two wheels and pulls me around without pedaling it,I can almost always find something to like about it.

Just don't get too cocky with old guys that are out riding bikes or you may have two mirrors full of a Sportster,sportbike ,goldwing,or even one of those big scooters on steroids that you can't shake.Old Guys Rule!!! They have been there and done that.... a long time.and as one Old Guy I know says"Have A Good One",I'm going ridin' a while, see ya.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Well mostly my style sucks in a way anymore, I think I have gotten a bit lazy and don't want to hang off the bike, so I scrape a bit sooner than with the lay off crotch style ridin...
BTW-There is this road down here that has gotten famous as of late (used to be a good road) I know most of you have heard of "The Dragon" or Hwy 129, riders now come from everywhere just to say they have rode it, now its almost idiots Hwy., in my opinion...lol...
Well since we are talkin about the good, the bad, & the ugly, let me give you a bit of advise if you come down or up and ride it... Since Denny mentioned GoldWing...lol...
If there is this big ole stout guy standing around a big ole yellow GoldWing touring bike, and his name is Rick Pepin, ask him when he is leavin, if he says shortly, sit back down and wait till he leaves, don't leave on your sport bike or whatever before he does, cause sport bike or not, he will blow your skirt up on that big ole tourin bike, his other name is "Yellow Wolf"...lol...

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts

·
Daily rider
1,043 Posts
Who's pegs do you suppose you hear scraping in the video - his or the camera bike's?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts