Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
448 Posts
Yes it can. At the bottom of the forks there are 2 bolts, one on each side. Take those out, and slowly pump the forks up and down to get the oil out. Not so much routine maintenance, but it does need to be done. Not sure on the timeline tho.
There is a manual you can download on the forum here that goes into detail on how to change the oil, and also on how to pull the rear diff to lube the splines.

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
Not sure about Kawasaki, but most recommend changing the fork oil every two years.

·
Registered
133 Posts
two years is correct. however,i aint changed mine in 9 years. :doh:

·
Member? ... check.
515 Posts
I ain't changed mine in 20 yrs (hint: this means never). I think I'll do that and the swingarm lube (also never) in the spring.

~~C8>

·
Banned
431 Posts
are there any consequences of putting off the maintenance and running old oil?

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
New and Improved service manual thread link:
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17667

Hey Raker Bill, even though the oil can be drained from the bottom of the tube, the top cap and ring is going to have to come off to refill the tube isn`t it?

·
Super Moderator
11,867 Posts
are there any consequences of putting off the maintenance and running old oil?
Yes , your bike will explode.

Although 2 years is "recommended".....most do not bother until one of the seals starts to leak or they buy the very recommended Progressive springs.

After working in a bike shop, I'd say you can go ten years instead of two...

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
I have never replaced the fork oil (or the shocks) on either one of my Vulcan 750s. The first one passed 80,000 miles with no issues, the second is past 70,000. The only time I have ever replaced fork oil if if I had to replace the seals, and many bikes I just rode with leaky seals, and poured a little oil in once in a while. Rebuilding forks is the second hardest job on a motorcycle, next to rebuilding the engine. It doesn't have to be, but that is the way they are designed.

·
Banned
431 Posts
thanks for the advice guys

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
The Owner's Manual recommends changing the fork oil every 18,000 mi. There is no time period specified.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts