Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much SeaFoam should I put in the gas tank? I bought a can, but don't know how much to use.

Also, on a car, you're supposed to let the engine suck it in through a vacuum line to clear carbon deposits, can this be done through each vacuum port on the carbs? How much should I let it suck, if it should be done?

·
Daily rider
1,043 Posts
How much SeaFoam should I put in the gas tank? I bought a can, but don't know how much to use.
With Seafoam, you can run it straight in your tank without gas if you really wanted to. I used to put 1/3 to 1/2 of a can in mine periodically. There's a recommended dosage amount printed on the can, as well.

·
Registered
335 Posts
1oz per gallon

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea, it says 1oz per gallon, but I don't even know how many gallons go into one of our tanks.

Glad to know I won't damage anything if I put in too much.

·
Registered
335 Posts
you'll be fine with 2oz on a full tank

·
Registered
796 Posts
Our tanks hold 3.8 gals so 3oz would be better. Put 1/2 a can in a full tank, run it for a while so you get it into the carbs and let it set over night or a few days, depending on when you ride next. After the initial dose 3oz is what I use to use before going to K-100 mg which works better IMO.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I just put in the seafoam, added a bit through the vacuum lines to clear away carbon deposits, and it is smoking like CRAZY! That's supposed to be normal and just mean that it's doing its job, at least on cars... I'm assuming an engine is an engine no matter where it's mounted lol.

I'll let it sit in there for a while and fire it up later.

·
Registered
796 Posts
If you are burning straight seafoam it might smoke where it isn't burning like fuel will. You should pull your plugs and clean them after you get to the regular dosage where it may foul them up. Sometimes running fuel additives too much can damage plugs. That is why you use it say every 3rd or 4th full tank.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts

Also, on a car, you're supposed to let the engine suck it in through a vacuum line to clear carbon deposits, can this be done through each vacuum port on the carbs? How much should I let it suck, if it should be done?
You have gotten good advice from all previous posters I think.
Seafoam can be used in several ways, and I think most of them have been covered in this thread.

1. You can suck it in straight through the vacuum hose to clean carbon from combustion chamber as you have done.

2. Pour in a stiff dose of a 1/2 can (8oz) or more, then start the engine and let it run for 5 or 10 minutes to get it into the carb bowls to soak and dissolve any gum or varnish in the entire fuel system. I use a similar dose for winter storage of 5 to 6 months up here north of the 49th.

3. Seafoam recommends a maintenance dose of 1 oz. per gallon used regularly. If that helps your bike run better, and you are happy with it, go with it. If you don`t notice any difference in the way the engine runs when you don`t put any Seafoam in a tank full, maybe you don`t need that much, and only want to put 3-4 oz in every few fills of the tank, as baldy suggests.

After saying all this, Seafoam is really a fuel stabilizer and preservative more than a system cleaner. A local rider and independant mechanic told me that if you really have a gummed up tank, carb or whole system, pour in some carb cleaner or fuel injector cleaner to try to dissolve the varnish.

IMHO, as you get out and ride more, how much to use all comes down to your own judgement, depending if you can tell any difference in starting, idling smoothness or power when you roll on the throttle.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the advice guys. I ran it straight through the vacuum lines this time because it's the first time and I wanted to really clean stuff out. I'll probably go with the recommended dosage after it and probably not on every tank, winter seems like a good season to do it on every tank though.

·
Daily rider
1,043 Posts
Haven't run any Seafoam in my new bike. I run 93 octane, and with EFI, I'm not having any issues with fuel whatsoever.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mine is an 85 that has been mistreated for a lot of years though... needs some tough love lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts