Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

How much weight can the luggage rack take?

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  kc2dgq 
#1 ·
My new-to-me bike came with a rack with a sticky claiming 5lbs max. Surely, it can handle more than that. How much weight can I get away with?

Thanks.

#2 ·
A lot depends on how it's mounted. My home made one could hold 30 or more pounds I would think, but I really don't want that much on the back. I think that sitting that far back would cause CG problems and really light steering.

#4 ·
You're absolutely right because the weight is slightly after the rear axle so you'd be wheelie prone. The stock rack is pretty tough. I dragged a 250 gal. oil tank across my yard with a tow strap hooked to it and even with the downward pressure yanking on it it didn't bend. The V did pull a wheelie as the rear tire dug a trench. I don't recommend doing this with your bike but I had nobody to help me and couldn't fit my truck back there so... Hey Vulcan, got a minute? :doh:. She did fine and still ran great after that fiasco.

#3 ·
Take that stupid sticker off!! Maker protecting butt---( mine had the same sticker )--took one look and said the red necks at the factory sittin around one day and said "lets mess with these folks". Bet they drive to the corner store twice for a 12 pack LOL-----Just use common sense!

#5 ·
you can fit more than enough weight on one of those racks. I know the ones I make can handle over 250lbs. I know this because I'm able to put all my weight on it with no ill effects.

#7 ·
Fire and Steel rack says 10lbs max....but I had at least 40lbs stuffed into a tail bag resting on it for a bumpy ride on a day trip and had no problems. Just use common sense and you will be fine :smiley_th

#9 ·
pretty sure this was more than 5 lbs, and had no problems!

#10 ·
Wib....that looks like the same type of tail bag I had...with the roll bag on top....lol
mine was so overstuffed that It hung out past the rack end. It had to be a good 40ish pounds.

Thinking back...I wonder if my tail light was even visible.....:doh:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.