Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy Folks --

How much Seafoam do you put into the gas tank and how often do you use it? :confused:

Thanx!

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Howdy Folks --

How much Seafoam do you put into the gas tank and how often do you use it? :confused:

Thanx!
I just bought my first can a month or two ago, but will share what I can. A 473ml can (16 oz) says it will treat 30-95 liters of fuel (approx 8-25 US gallons). The vn750 tank holds ~3 gallons, so 8 fills is close to 25 gals. 2 oz per tankfull then, is about what seafoam recommends as a minimum concentration.

A lot depends on exactly why you are using it, I believe. If your bike is relatively new with no fuel issues, and ridden regularly, you may choose to only treat every 4th or 5th tankful simply as a preventative measure against varnish and gum accumulating in the fuel system.

If the bike is experiencing fuel issues and needs to be cleaned out or is going to be stored through the winter without riding for several months you might want to pour in another ounce or two. Then start it and run the engine for several minutes to get the stronger concentration well into the carbs and cylinders before shutting it down.

(I know this is not applicable to you FlaRider, you lucky son of a gun, but some of us can`t ride every day of the year!)

This is how I understand many members may use seafoam. Others may offer slightly different regimens that they employ. Enjoy the ride. OlHoss :smiley_th

·
Registered
96 Posts
its usually suggested to use about 1/4 of a can or a little less so 3-4 ounces. i use around 1/4th of a can and it's fine. you won't kill the bike by running a little too much or a little too less...no need for a measuring cup. i havent experimented with a WHOLE can but i've definitely let my mind wander for a second while pouring and gotten over half the can in with no negative effects. just do 1/5-1/4 of a can and you'll be good. good luck!

·
Registered
802 Posts
It's not a scientific method, but I usually just count to 3 when I pour it in.

I guess it's a good thing the tanks aren't bigger on these bikes. :doh:

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just bought my first can a month or two ago, but will share what I can. A 473ml can (16 oz) says it will treat 30-95 liters of fuel (approx 8-25 US gallons). The vn750 tank holds ~3 gallons, so 8 fills is close to 25 gals. 2 oz per tankfull then, is about what seafoam recommends as a minimum concentration.

A lot depends on exactly why you are using it, I believe. If your bike is relatively new with no fuel issues, and ridden regularly, you may choose to only treat every 4th or 5th tankful simply as a preventative measure against varnish and gum accumulating in the fuel system.

If the bike is experiencing fuel issues and needs to be cleaned out or is going to be stored through the winter without riding for several months you might want to pour in another ounce or two. Then start it and run the engine for several minutes to get the stronger concentration well into the carbs and cylinders before shutting it down.

(I know this is not applicable to you FlaRider, you lucky son of a gun, but some of us can`t ride every day of the year!)

This is how I understand many members may use seafoam. Others may offer slightly different regimens that they employ. Enjoy the ride. OlHoss :smiley_th
OlHoss, Drguitarum, Scootergptx --

Thanx for taking the time to reply! I value each new bit of Vulcan Wisdon!

P.S. (For Star Trek fans) I'd luv to do a Vulcan "Mind-Meld" with each of you veteran vulcan jockeys.

·
Late to the party
321 Posts
I usually pour in a shot class full per fill up. I put in about 1/4 1/2 can for winter storage. Pure guesswork in my case.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I usually pour in a shot class full per fill up. I put in about 1/4 1/2 can for winter storage. Pure guesswork in my case.
We had a couple of dozen 1 oz plastic cups designed for measuring liquid medicines. I use 1 for weed killers when spraying the lawn, and now for Seafoam too. Keep it with chemicals away from little eyes and hands, and put a big black X with a felt pen or paint so no one drinks from it. Not nearly as classy as jabarry`s shot glass, but it does the job. :smiley_th

·
Late to the party
321 Posts
We had a couple of dozen 1 oz plastic cups designed for measuring liquid medicines. I use 1 for weed killers when spraying the lawn, and now for Seafoam too. Keep it with chemicals away from little eyes and hands, and put a big black X with a felt pen or paint so no one drinks from it. Not nearly as classy as jabarry`s shot glass, but it does the job. :smiley_th
Too bad they don't make a shot glass with the vulcan logon on it. Now that would be classy. :) ... and make it distinct from the shot glass I use for my own personal fluid preservative and gum out. :) (Note: only used AFTER rides)

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
I used a clean, dry, 16 oz. water bottle. Put 3 oz. in it, marked the level with permanent marker, wrote Sea Foam on it, put Sea Foam in tank, replaced the water bottle cap and put it with the Sea Foam container. It's easy to add to the tank without spilling, the bottle stays clean, I don't waste any left in the bottle, and I know how high to fill it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts