Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Columbus, Ohio
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is your average oil consumption for normal riding.

I changed the oil at the beginning of the season, then found it was very low within about 1000 miles. I don't remember the exact amount, but I put amost a quart in it. Not sure because I overfilled it, then drained some.
My riding is a lot of highway at speeds between 55 and 70...occasionally 75. Also, about twenty percent city riding. Mobil One 10w40.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Do you have any leaksor burning oil? I have put 2000 on my bike and it wasn't down enough to worry about and if it gets to the low level it is usually around time to change it anyways. I run Castrol 20-50w.

The same goes for my 93' with 43,000 miles with the exception of a few minor leaks so I have to add a little every once in a while.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I've never added oil between changes. My normal blood has been Lucas M/C synth 20-50 but changed to Rotella T and do not like it (ginding is back after years of using Lucas) as well as clunky shifts.

DT

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Its really just something you'll need to keep an eye on now that you know your oil is full. We have to assume you are filling the oil with the bike on centerstand. We have to assume you ran it a few minutes after changing oil to circulate the oil, then let it sit for 5 minutes before you checked the site glass again and topped it off if necessary. If you did all that, then I'd say just keep an eye on it for another 1000 miles and see where its at.

·
Columbus, Ohio
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its really just something you'll need to keep an eye on now that you know your oil is full. We have to assume you are filling the oil with the bike on centerstand. We have to assume you ran it a few minutes after changing oil to circulate the oil, then let it sit for 5 minutes before you checked the site glass again and topped it off if necessary. If you did all that, then I'd say just keep an eye on it for another 1000 miles and see where its at.
That's pretty much the plan. I was on the centerstand, but even though I warmed it before the drain and ran it before dipping it, I overfilled it. I had it in the wondow, then ran it, and it dropped so I put more in, which was too much so I removed some.
There are no leaks when it is idling or off, no evidence of leaks any othe time.
If it smokes, it is at high rpm, as I have never noticed it while riding.

Guess I will monitor it for a bit.

·
Hoser
118 Posts
I add about 4oz. every 200 miles, just enough so there is no bubble in the sight glass. No leaks or visible smoke though. Speeds are 45 to 75 mph 2 lane touring.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Mine doesn't use any between 3k oil changes. My bike has just over 20k....sounds like something going on in your engine to me....

Hey Junkyard! Check your pm's brotha!

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I add about 4oz. every 200 miles, just enough so there is no bubble in the sight glass. No leaks or visible smoke though. Speeds are 45 to 75 mph 2 lane touring.
I would consider that amount a lot of oil usage. Some days I go out for 350 miles with my bro - by your stats thats close to 8 oz on a single trip.

DT

1 - 8 of 8 Posts