Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A big question on the Yahoo group always seems to be amount of oil added. I'll measure mine next time but as I recall I 've always added about 2.75 qts to bring the level to the 1/2 way mark in the sightglass, this is without a new filter and after runing the engine. (NOTE:The filter holds very little) I change my oil every 1500-2K so it's a waste, IMO, to change the filter every time. Some owners get in 3.5 qts - I can only guess that is with a new filter and the oil level to high (to the the "F" mark).

·
Registered
82 Posts
It says 4L on my engine next to the fill cap on mine. And just a word of advise, change your filter every time. It's not a waste.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the filter is not even close to being full of dirt and is still flowing well then I don't see the point. I've cut open used oil filters from cars and bikes some new (e.g. Fram - junk) and mine are spotless with no visibly trapped dirt at all.

Now Suzuki recommends changing the filter on my '01 every 11,000 miles - that is a bit much but that does speak volumes about the quality of today's filters. They also recommend changing brake fluid every year which is ceratinly good advice to heed.

If I change my oil every 1,500 miles and you change it yours every 3K then why would I need to change my filter with every oil change? Bare in mind that oil holds very small dirt particles in suspesion that are far too small for a traditional filter to filter out and by me dropping my oil every 1,500 I get ride of that, meaning that my filter should last proportionately longer.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The way I look at it is filters are cheap. Engines are not. I change the oil and filter in my car every 1000 to 1500 miles. Although the filter may not get nearly saturated with particulates, and the oil may not be worn out, it's cheap insurance.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I also think you should replace oil filter every time you change oil.
Iwork on engin's that cost in around the $10.000 amount.
Filters are not a wast oil, air,fuel, all are a must.
Engin's cost money don't wast the cost of a engin for a $6.00 filter.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nitro,

Wow! You change your car's oil every 1,000 - 1500 miles. What ever works for ya, but with all the test results out there that prove the average car will easily go 150K with oil changes every 4K I don't see the point. How often do ya change the oil in your Vucan? What do ya use?

As far as filters go, the most important filter on an engine is the air filter, which I clean/oil regularly as I'm sure you guys do too.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Often times test results are much different than real world results. I've replaced way too many engines from insufficient maintenance to let my car go 4k miles on a change. Just the other day I replaced a motor in a Taurus that had only 20k miles on it and a rod sticking through the oil pan. Although I'm sure there was more than 4k between changes, it illustrates a point. I haven't changed the oil in the bike yet, but I plan on doing the oil/filter the same as the car, every 1000 to 1500. I also haven't decided what oil to use yet, since there seems to be various opinions as to what's the best to use in our bikes. I've used Mobil 1 the last few changes in my CRX, so I may do the same in the bike. Any suggestions for/against Mobil 1?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I should have said "real word tests". Anyway, Mobil 1 MC oil is great but expensive so many use the $4.00/qt (at Wal-Mart) "redcap" 15W50 which has many great posts/happy users. I personally think Shell Rotella 15W40 is the best bang for the buck followed by 5W40 Rotella synthetic. THE best MC oil would have to be Amsoil. I currently use 10 oz (10W40) of it mixed with FormulaShell 10W40 for a home brewed semi-syn.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I know just what you mean, I used to use that "red cap" 15w50 in my old Cutlass. I guess I'll try that out for the first change. I've also seen a couple of posts either here or on Yahoo that the "Energy Conserving" rating causes clutch/shifting problems... Is that true?

·
Registered
65 Posts
From testimonials I've read/heard, I'm a fan of Mobil 1. I use it in my car and change it out every 5K. As a general rule, synthetics take a lot longer to break down. One study I read mentioned that synthetic oil, regularly topped up as needed (in a healthy engine) should be good for around 15K+ miles. That seems high to me, but the message is pretty clear. Mobil 1 filters (along with Amsoil and a couple of others) have been tested to have the greatest filtration capabilities (even considering extended time: one study recommended changing the oil ever 5K or so, but only changing the filter ever 10K or so). If anyone wants figures, I can probably find them somewhere. Yes, Mobil 1 filters are more expensive than just about any other brand, but in the end, you may be getting what you pay for. It costs me about $35 to use mobil 1 in the car per change. That's about what you'll pay for a change in teh shop and I feel safe in squeezing in a few thousand extra miles out of it. In the end, doing it myself, I can actually save money (over going to a shop) using what I feel is a far superior product over time.

I haven't read nearly as much about the longevity of synthetics in bikes, but I would assume that the same basic principles are at work in any engine.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Our engines may say 4 litres but no one gets that much oil in and sees the level in the sightglass because it would be way to high.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The 4L is probably a dry-fill spec. Often times with cars the spec for oil capacity will say, for instance, 4.0qt w/filter, 4.2qt dry fill. This is because some oil always pools in the head on OHC engines, and won't come out unless torn down.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I changed the oil in my VN750 today and measured what drained out - 3 qts. The oil level was at the halfway mark in the sightglass (engine off and cool) while on the centerstand on level ground.

·
Registered
3 Posts
How detrimental is it to have a little too much oil? I have the feeling I should drain some out...can't see top of sightglass. Oh, and I have a slow leak somewhere on the underside in the vicinity of the bottom drain plug. I love Amsoil but it finds all the weak spots!

I also removed and repositioned the shifter on its spline (it was hitting the engine guard). Could I have damaged that oil seal? I very gently tapped the shifer back onto the spline.

·
Forum Faciliator
369 Posts
If you have too much oil, it may tend to foam. I had the same question when I first got my bike, and I thought it could not be a bad thing, right.. I did some research and I can't fine the article now, but basically too much oil is not a good thing either, as it can foam. My engine was a bit noisier too, and that went away when I started to fill it to the proper level..

I check mine on the side stand (<= wrong. I meant center stand), and fill it until there is just a tiny buble at the top of the window. I run the bike, to make sure oil gets circulated through the filter (I do prefill the filter first), let it sit for 5 minutes after an oil change and then top it off.

RB

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Baron,

Why don't you check your oil level with the scoot on on the centerstand? I just glance down at the level before a each ride to make sure it's at the halfway mark.

·
Forum Faciliator
369 Posts
Oops, I do check it on the center stand. I did not proof the reply. It is corrected now. Thanks
RB

Bruce said:
Baron,

Why don't you check your oil level with the scoot on on the centerstand? I just glance down at the level before a each ride to make sure it's at the halfway mark.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The VN750 Oil Level Dilema

I too have the oil level dilema with my VN750. It says 4.0 litres on the engine and in the owner's manual. But the manual also says to use the sight glass and remove any excess. It NEVER takes 4 litres to fill it to the proper level in the sight glass. If I put 4 in it, it is too full. I have asked two different dealers if I should obey the 4.0 litre capacity or obey the sight glass. Both of them acted like it was the first time they had ever heard that question, and after considerable stumbling around, both recommended that I put in 4 litres. But neither seemed to have firm confidence in their answer.

So, please tell me your experience and lend your expertise on this question. Should I fill it to the proper level, according to the sight glass, or put in the recommended 4.0 litres as stated on the engine and in the book? Please tell me what you think and why.... Thanks

Rick

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
4 litres is over a gallon of oil! That's more than most big bikes and many small cars hold. Fill to halfway mark in the sightglass and enjoy your bike.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts