Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Steve
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't see to find a spec sheet for castrol LMM which is availble in Australia.

Honda do not import theri Moly 60 anymore. Interestngly though I find this spec sheet for it and it only contains 20% Moly? Am i reading this right?

http://www.ratherbe.us/Moly60_MSDS.pdf

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
Not correct. I have a tube of it here. It is Pro Honda Moly 60 Paste. Part number 08734-0001. Price here is $8.95 for 3 oz tube.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
I can't see to find a spec sheet for castrol LMM which is availble in Australia.

Honda do not import theri Moly 60 anymore. Interestngly though I find this spec sheet for it and it only contains 20% Moly? Am i reading this right?

http://www.ratherbe.us/Moly60_MSDS.pdf
Yes you are correct that is only 20% moly on the spec sheet.I know a lot of people don't agree with me but it truly matters how often and how well you lube the splines more than what you lube them with.
I used a high quality,high pressure grease,with a lower content of moly in mine and lubed them every rear tire change .They were always greased well when I took it apart and require cleaning again before lubing them again.I think that grease would be sufficient if you keep it up with every tire change.

Not correct. I have a tube of it here. It is Pro Honda Moly 60 Paste. Part number 08734-0001. Price here is $8.95 for 3 oz tube.
I think he meant they weren't importing Honda Moly Paste into Australia and it is unavailable to him where he lives.:smiley_th

·
Registered
245 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
denny6006 is correct about the grease. It doesn't "call" for using moly, just 17ml of a high temperature grease. I use the Honda 60 because it's good and I can get it easily. But a grease with 20% will work too. Just follow the manual and lube them right.

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
" Honda do not import theri Moly 60 anymore. Interestngly though I find this spec sheet for it and it only contains 20% Moly? Am i reading this " End quote

The way I read his post is that he can't get it in Austalia, he has a spec sheet for it, and it is only 20%. That is not correct

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
" Honda do not import theri Moly 60 anymore. Interestngly though I find this spec sheet for it and it only contains 20% Moly? Am i reading this " End quote

The way I read his post is that he can't get it in Austalia, he has a spec sheet for it, and it is only 20%. That is not correct
I went back and reread it, now I'm really confused .The MSDS sheet he is looking at is for a 55/60 weight moly grease which by weight is 20% moly,I think it is not Honda's Sheet for their grease or a lot of people(including me) have been misinformed about Honda lube being 60% moly.... :confused:

·
Steve
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Correct on both accounts. Honda Australia do not import Honda Moly 60 into Australia. I note its availble on ebay, but thats a 2 week wait for me.

Yes the MSDS sheet (material data safety sheet) from Three bond, the makers of Moly 60, reads that it is only 20% Moly at best. Unless the MSDS is false (but why) than it would be be that it only contains 20% Moly. MSDS sheets need to be accurate due to safety and legal reason.

Can someone who has a Tube of Honda Moly 60 look at the % of moly in its contents on its packaging ?

Makes me wonder what type of grease the paid mechanics put on the splines these days? I am guessing its grease with less than 20% Moly.

I can readily buy Penrite grease with 3% Moly, and seeing as I have not had the spline open since buying my bike 3 weeks ago, this may do as an interim. I can always get a better grease and re grease it in a few thousand km's just to be safe.

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
Also consider Guard Dog 570, which is actually 73% moly. But, before I found out about these high moly content pastes, I lubed my splines with plain old moly wheel bearing grease from Autozone. It worked fine. Never found any wear or damage. However, I did do it every 10,000 miles, roughly half the life of a tire. But I find that I am still doing it that often after switching to moly paste. Everytime I think about extending this interval, I see yet another picture of severely damaged splines, and change my mind.

·
Steve
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks. This will be what I will do in the short term

I rang the Shell technical hot line and they only make a 5% moly. Its called an industrial Grease in Australia

GATUS S3 V460 XD

They thought 5% moly was high, as its a solid.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The tube says 60% Molybdenum Disulfide.

·
Steve
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Interesting....... the MSDS says 20%. If I was in the good ol USA I would ring the Three Bond technical Support line to clarify why the difference on the labelling.

But I am not.

·
Steve
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This maybe be a bit technical bu does the label say 60% Moyl disulphide or 60% moly. Apparently Moly is the metal, and it smells when heated. Its the same smell from when trains brake.

If its ist 60% Moly disulphide , then the moly content would be less that 60%.

From what I am told by a chemist, greases have improved over the years, so a large amount of moly is no longer required, and 2 it is expensive, and 3 it smells.

i guess its all about greasing regulalry

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
"Can someone who has a Tube of Honda Moly 60 look at the % of moly in its contents on its packaging ? "

Here it is again. The tube is in my hand. Pro Honda Moly 60 Paste. On the tube "60% Molybdenum Disulfide. Part number 08734-0001.
Why are you reading someone elses tech sheet for this product???

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
"Can someone who has a Tube of Honda Moly 60 look at the % of moly in its contents on its packaging ? "

Here it is again. The tube is in my hand. Pro Honda Moly 60 Paste. On the tube "60% Molybdenum Disulfide. Part number 08734-0001.
Why are you reading someone elses tech sheet for this product???
Ah!!,here is where I think the mix up is ,That is not the tech sheet for Honda Moly,He worded it odd but I think he is showing the MSDS for the Grease he has available locally.It does appear that the way his post is written that he was presenting this as Honda Moly Paste's specs.

Being a hillbilly who words thing odd myself ,this was how I took his original post.Ask Ol Hoss, he has had to ask me what I really meant on more than one occasion.I think our problem is what is being represented instead of the content.the MSDS presented is for Castrol LMM moly grease not Honda Moly Paste.

I think his intent was to know if this Castrol grease would be alright for lubing his splines .My answer is yes to that,and explained why in an earlier post on this thread.I believe we Have as the warden on Cool Hand Luke said"A failure to communicate":smiley_th:smiley_th

BTW,When I was in High School, during English class,I thought why do I need to study English?I'll never go to England ,;)I have found that others on here never went to spelling class either .I don't know their reason.

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
Ah!!,here is where I think the mix up is ,That is not the tech sheet for Honda Moly,He worded it odd but I think he is showing the MSDS for the Grease he has available locally.It does appear that the way his post is written that he was presenting this as Honda Moly Paste's specs.

Being a hillbilly who words thing odd myself ,this was how I took his original post.Ask Ol Hoss, he has had to ask me what I really meant on more than one occasion.I think our problem is what is being represented instead of the content.the MSDS presented is for Castrol LMM moly grease not Honda Moly Paste.

I think his intent was to know if this Castrol grease would be alright for lubing his splines .My answer is yes to that,and explained why in an earlier post on this thread.I believe we Have as the warden on Cool Hand Luke said"A failure to communicate":smiley_th:smiley_th

BTW,When I was in High School, during English class,I thought why do I need to study English?I'll never go to England ,;)I have found that others on here never went to spelling class either .I don't know their reason.
I think you are right about the " communication". Talk about over complicating things. We are only trying to lube the splines here, not send the Space Shuttle to the moon. I don't think we need a Chemist to get involved.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
I think you are right about the " communication". Talk about over complicating things. We are only trying to lube the splines here, not send the Space Shuttle to the moon. I don't think we need a Chemist to get involved.
I do give lessons in understanding hicktown "english" .I speak it fluently:smiley_th

·
Crap, I WAS in 5th gear.
500 Posts
Perhaps the "60" in the Moly 60 is a tip-off?

I use general purpose molybdenum disulfide bearing grease- I've always got a container around from doing brakes on my wife's truck (the whole hub has to come off.)

I have a crapload of teflon powder at home that I was going to play around with in house paint- I have added that to my spline lube before.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts