Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
I believe this was covered somewhere way back when but if im not mistaken what it does is advance and retard the timing at the same time as you move the pickups closer to the contact plate the magnetic pull on them is stronger so they enter the contact zone a hair earlier and leave a hair later this creates a stronger and longer spark it does not effect the timing much if any at all

·
Registered
609 Posts
Getting ready to do the pick up coil mod and have the side cover off. No seized screws, came right off, I'm happy to report. Looking at the coils, it looks like the cable should unplug. Haven't really tried to remove the connector yet, is there a tab or something that locks it on? Don't want to pull too hard and damage something.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Also, are there any kind of protrusions on the rotor that passes the magnet on the coil or do I just set to .020 with respect to the rotor?
Thanks guys.

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
first off the pickup coils do not unplug so don't pull on them the wires will break and you will have a bad day

second on the flywheel there is a raised contact plate that needs to be aligned with the pickup coil when setting the gap

·
Registered
609 Posts
That's what I needed to know. I had removed the coil and could tell the wires didn't unplug so I didn't pull on them. Can the engine be turned with the flywheel bolt to align the magnets with the coils? I'm guessing it would be much easier if I pull a plug from both cylinders. Thanks again.

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
turn it by hand counter clockwise only never clockwise because you could damage the starter clutch

1 - 11 of 11 Posts