Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my new Metzler tires (front and back) and was thinking of bringing it in to the local Kaw dealer (or whatever motorcycle shop I can find) to have the new tires put on.

How much is the average charge to have two tires put on? I haven't decided to take the entire bike in or just the wheels (I figure if I take the wheels off, it'll be cheaper, plus I can lube the spline while I'm at it).

Thanks!

·
Registered
227 Posts
My local dealer quoted me $20 per tire for mounting and balancing (I take the wheels off the bike). They want $10 per tire just to balance them.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just got new tires today from American Motor Tire.
The 110 front are Metzeler ME880 for $85,
The 150 rear are Metzeler ME880 for $119,
Shipping was $16

My Progressive springs are coming tomorrow.

I changed and balanced the tires myself because:
out of 3 local dealers, one wanted $50 PER TIRE (and that's with the wheels already off the bike)
and the other two would not even do the work because I did not buy the tires from them ( almost a 100% markup from internet prices).

It was a real pain but then again I like doing all my own work because I know if I do it, it gets done right.

Norm

·
"ya can't live forever"
321 Posts
D404's front and rear $240.00 for tires and labor etc. in South Florida

At Daddy'os in West Palm Beach

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
I have the D404's on my 750 and the rear needs replacing after 7000 miles.

·
Registered
277 Posts
404's

the 404's are the best bang for the buck IMHO. i don't take passengers and i don't ride super fast. i put 110's on the front instead of the 100. to me it means more tire on the road alittle bit better ride. so for me the 880's are great tires but a little bit over kill for my kind of riding.

ride safe john

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
I've used Continental Cont-tours on mine since i've had the bike (obviously apart from the factory originals). get around 7000m out of a rear & around 10-11000m out of a front. Last rear I had was £85 (around US$140) including balance. Last front I had was £65 (around US$108) including balance. In both cases I took the wheels off myself. Problem I get, as I suspect a lot of you guys get, is most of the wear is in the middle with very little at the sides due to a lot of freeway riding. Don't know if it's a fault of just Conti's but the front always wears in a kinda "stepped" pattern. don't know what other tyres are like as I use the same one's on my other bike, a Suzuki GS1000G. Does anyone else experience this strange wear pattern? Or maybe it's the way I ride??

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
"wear is in the middle with very little at the sides "

that is how my D404 is wearing, the origional Bridgestones did't wear that way.

·
Registered
70 Posts
3 weeks ago, I had Metzler Marathon 880's put on the front and rear at my local bike shop. They charged me around $235 for both tires plus $70 for labor (I just brought in the bike, I did not take the tires off), and then tax of course. Final price was about $330, two tires, mounted and balanced, out the door. I’m pretty sure I got taken to the cleaners on that deal, however, I had been a motorcycle owner for all of 3 days at the time so I didn’t know any better and I needed tires…real bad (9 years old and hard as a rock on the previous tires). Hope this helps.

By the way, not that I know anything but the Metzler’s seem to be great tires, I ride very fast to work, usually around 90+ and they are smooth and comfortable and confidence inspiring. They corner well and they seem to be great even when riding two up, 250# plus 120# = 370#s on the bike, no problem.

Adam

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
I just got a set of dunlops 404's and the local guys here wants $25-30 per tire mount & balance off the bike.

Getting the front done Sat, the rear, following Sat.

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
how do you ballance them yourself? this is rather interesting.

Why is it so much to have a shop ballance them? are they computer ballanced. I wonder if i can get my friend (he works at a honda dealer) to get mine ballanced. I dont have them yet, but will need them by the end of the year.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Wrench Day

DMAG,

Do I remember that you were asking (on the 750 forum) if anyone was interested in a Maintenance/mod day? I am in Poughkeepsie and would like such a day. I'm looking to check out the splines on my 'o6 Vulcan 750. I've done the R/R relocation, M/F battery, tail-light relocation, voltmeter, yada, yada.
Let me know if there's interest.

Rick
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
Adam,

Not to start a tire thread, but you did get the best tires available.

That price isn't bad. The labor looks like it was a good deal because you didn't remove them yourself especially when some places charge $25 to $30 for EACH tire when they are off the bike. Also the price you got the tires for is better than Dennis Kirk so you did ok.

But now you should remove the rear tire yourself and make sure the drive (prop) shaft is properly lubed.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Loran in Npvl IL said:
Adam,

Not to start a tire thread, but you did get the best tires available.

That price isn't bad. The labor looks like it was a good deal because you didn't remove them yourself especially when some places charge $25 to $30 for EACH tire when they are off the bike. Also the price you got the tires for is better than Dennis Kirk so you did ok.

But now you should remove the rear tire yourself and make sure the drive (prop) shaft is properly lubed.
Thanks Loran,

I appreciate the vote of confidence on the price I paid. A guy at work told me they should be about $200 installed, when the price was $330, I thought I was being taken. It is also good to know that I have the best tires, tires are very important in my book, car or bike.

Lubing the drive shaft is number two on my list of things to do very soon, right under changing the coolant and all coolant hoses. My bike tends to run near the red during middle-of-the-day driving so that is really important. Thank you for the reminder.

BTW, I spent two summers in Naperville, IL; I just love it there, beautiful place.

Thanks again,
Adam :motorcycl

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
trturnerfamily said:
DMAG,

Do I remember that you were asking (on the 750 forum) if anyone was interested in a Maintenance/mod day? I am in Poughkeepsie and would like such a day. I'm looking to check out the splines on my 'o6 Vulcan 750. I've done the R/R relocation, M/F battery, tail-light relocation, voltmeter, yada, yada.
Let me know if there's interest.

Rick
[email protected]
That would be great...we'll talk more! (I'm at work right now) :BLAM:

·
Registered
54 Posts
I paid 325.00 for tires/mounted dunlops here in Port Angeles WA

·
Registered
40 Posts
Vancouver, BC, Canada

Just installed Dunlop 404s front and rear (stock sizes) on my A18. The tires combined ran $240 and labor was $80. Tack on the 14% tax here, and you're sitting at $370 installed. Prices haven't been lowered to reflect the recent strength of the Canadian vs. US dollar. I would've rode it down to Seattle and had them replaced, but they were too worn out. Had to be done locally.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts