Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My odometer just hit 200 miles today on my 06, Fuel guage was on empty, Less than 2 miles from home the bike started sputtering so I switched to reserve, no problems. Half hour later I started the 3 mile trip to the gas station, didn't even make it a mile. How far should I get on reserve? Does mileage improve after break in?

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
Do you have a windsheld? I have noticed a little drop in MPG with my new Plexfairing 3, Still about 45 or so, and I have got 20 miles on reserve before I got to a gas station. I didn't want to push it past that

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hello Dave, The most I have done on reserve has benn 15 miles. I normally go on reserve from 150 to 165 miles. The most I have ever got on a tank of gas including reserve is 173 miles and it took 3.41 gallon to fill it to the brim. Most of my riding is 55 to 65 mph. I have a Memphis shades fats shield on the bike, I do very little interstate riding, my weight is 220 lbs. I have 9500 miles on the bike.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Ihave a 2002 and drive between 70 & 80 mph on the interstate. I seem to get about 120 miles before having to go to my reserve.
However, when I keep it between 55 & 65, I get an additional 30+ miles before having to go to reserve.

I have driven about 20 miles on my reserve - afraid to take it much past that...

(I am 5'9 & 170 lbs for what that matters....).

Dom

·
Registered
83 Posts
Davejb said:
Ok, so any thoughts on why I didn't make it even 2 miles on reserve?
You've got something wrong there. A new bike that won't go over 2 miles on reserve? It sounds to me like you never got to reserve. The bike can run a couple of miles on the gas remaining in the fuel lines when you shut the gas off. Are you sure you turned the fuel valve to the correct position? The lever needs to be pointing forward for reserve.

If you turned the valve to the correct position, you'd better take a look at the fuel lines and tank assembly. Maybe something is out of whack there.

CD in Frederick, OK

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Was definetly on reserve, even checked after it died. Can I run the bike normally on reserve just to make sure the valve is working properly?

·
Now what
400 Posts
Davejb said:
Was definetly on reserve, even checked after it died. Can I run the bike normally on reserve just to make sure the valve is working properly?
Sure. Fill it up, leave it on reserve and see how it runs. If it won't run on reserve, could be the pickup tube is plugged. That would definitely be covered on warranty. The other thing I'd try is get it going on RUN, then switch over to RES and see what happens. Shouldn't skip a beat.

·
Now what
400 Posts
Ironman said:
Sure. Fill it up, leave it on reserve and see how it runs. If it won't run on reserve, could be the pickup tube is plugged. That would definitely be covered on warranty. The other thing I'd try is get it going on RUN, then switch over to RES and see what happens. Shouldn't skip a beat.
later I realized a small error in my logic. The bike won't skip a beat right when you switch to RES (there's still gas in the carbs) but if you're still running strong a couple of minutes later, then the reserve pickup is ok. I don't know what could be in there, but maybe 3 ounces of Seafoam to a tank of gas would help. Let it run through the reserve pickup, maybe it'll clean something out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, so I was able to ride on reserve for 10 minutes, so I'm assuming the petcock is working and there are no blocked lines. Now what?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts