Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

How may have (or need to) replaced their stator?

• Yes

Votes: 15 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 11 36.7%
  • Don't know (not original owner)

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Scared to know

Votes: 1 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How many have (or need to) replaced their stator?

Just curious.

Jon

·
brand new old guy
39 Posts
I'm not the original owner but when I changed it, the stator wasn't original either. and My bikes an 86

·
Registered
60 Posts
Boy this is a touchy one for me. I replaced my FIRST one in February '06 and my SECOND one in September '06. It is a 2003 now with 17,500 miles. Jugt got done replacing the final drive/splines last month. Not a good year....

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Yep, getting ready to change it. (see sig pic)
The way it acted once it finally went for good has me thinking that's what was causing my occasional 'die while riding', then starting right back up after a couple minutes, this past year.
From what I've heard, ANY bike is susceptible to stator failures.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I had to vote don't know (not original owner) but with all the mileage I thinks its safe to assume that its been changed before

·
Registered
30 Posts
Bought my bike new four years, eleven months ago. The odometer is now reading within two hundred, thirty miles of forty-six thousand total. No stator or regulator/rectifier problems in that time/mileage.

·
Registered
2 Posts
joepa said:
Boy this is a touchy one for me. I replaced my FIRST one in February '06 and my SECOND one in September '06. It is a 2003 now with 17,500 miles. Jugt got done replacing the final drive/splines last month. Not a good year....
I'm a 2-timer as well :BLAM:. Bought an '02 new at the dealer. Replaced my first stator (1 leg burned out) at 9000 miles in August '05. Replaced my second (shorted to case) at 13,000 miles the following June. Not even a year on the replacement Electrex.

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
I have been luck so far, Have not needed to replace the stator or R/R.
Just over 15K on my 01

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Bought mine new Aug of 94. With 18.5K now and no problems so far. I would have to say that since I never have to sit very long in traffic, and that Temps here rarely get extreme ( maybe a couple weeks a year get "well" over 100 degree's ) That could be a part of my good fotune.

BTW.... Still have goat and R/R in stock location!

:motorcycl

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
changed mine at just shy of 9k miles.... also installed TOC cover....

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
Electrex seems to have a bad rep. If/when I have to replace mine, I think I will look elsewhere, maybe Rick's or even Hizzo's once he's up and running.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
I think I'm going with one of Rick's stators.
I too have heard more than a few have had troubles with the Electrex ones.

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
i strongly recomend against the electrix. seems like they are using a cheap version of both the wire and the epoxy. i know i've seen the epoxy burn up, which i am sure just adds to the damage of the stator. Also heard a few instances of where they rub slightly against the flywheel. not bad, but wear can be noticed. check back to my frankenstator post shortly. I will hopefully be doing a test run shortly.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Okay all,

All these posts are making me paranoid. I've had my '95, now with almots 7K on it and no problems yet. I don't know what's worse when/if it happens eventually or me not feeling comfortable enough as a wrench to fix it???

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
JohnBoy750 said:
Okay all,

All these posts are making me paranoid. I've had my '95, now with almots 7K on it and no problems yet. I don't know what's worse when/if it happens eventually or me not feeling comfortable enough as a wrench to fix it???
all i can say is it will happen...sooner or later. to help prevent it do a r/r relocation or degoat, and chenge ur battery. other then that, start small with wrenching, and work you way up. Start with plugs, then grease your own spline, then you should be ready to pull the engine after a few of those. also get a repair book on it. make sure you have us in your back pocket :beerchug: and you will be just fine. Just remeber to lable where everything goes, and keep in mind they are just bolts.....

·
Registered
97 Posts
Thanks for teh encouragement Hizzo. There's one thing I can say for sure....I have the easy stuff down ie. plugs change, oil change, battery change, spedometer change, cable greasing. Sooo I guess I have taken a few baby steps but feel like I've kind of hit a wall after that.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
JohnBoy750 said:
Sooo I guess I have taken a few baby steps but feel like I've kind of hit a wall after that.
But it's a thin wall!
Once ya bust through it, BAM ! , you're on the other side, with a wrench in your hand and parts on the work bench.
It's not as hard as learning to talk & walk, but maybe a little more intimidating, at first.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
JohnBoy750 said:
Thanks for teh encouragement Hizzo. There's one thing I can say for sure....I have the easy stuff down ie. plugs change, oil change, battery change, spedometer change, cable greasing. Sooo I guess I have taken a few baby steps but feel like I've kind of hit a wall after that.
I had no experience with these bikes prior to buying mine. Plenty of other mechanical experience with other bikes, cars, etc.

Between the shop manual, Clymer's, and this site, my engine is now sitting on the bench in my garage getting a new stator. Doing ear shave, carb rejet, and new exhaust when it goes back together.

It's not hard, can just be confusing, that's where all the folks here are so helpful.

Dig In!

Jon

·
"ya can't live forever"
321 Posts
stator

Hizzo3 said:
i strongly recomend against the electrix. seems like they are using a cheap version of both the wire and the epoxy. i know i've seen the epoxy burn up, which i am sure just adds to the damage of the stator. Also heard a few instances of where they rub slightly against the flywheel. not bad, but wear can be noticed. check back to my frankenstator post shortly. I will hopefully be doing a test run shortly.
Hizzo when you say electrix are you referring to Electrosport?

I got mine from them and received terriffic service plus a one year warranty.
It seems to be working out great !!:smiley_th

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
artman said:
Hizzo when you say electrix are you referring to Electrosport?

I got mine from them and received terriffic service plus a one year warranty.
It seems to be working out great !!:smiley_th
to my understanding the are one and the same, one is the US front and the other is the EU front.

granted they have great service. But they make an $$$ of ya. i know this cause i have been pricing parts for my rewinding. they use a machine that can do a stator in about an hour or less, use cheaper parts. that all translates to pure profit. so if they have to replace your stator 1 or 2x under warranty, they still come out ahead. just to give you a point of refference, it will cost me about $45 a stator to produce in parts and electrical costs alone. and i buy on a case by case basis. i figure with their larger buying ability, they pay less then $20 a stator to produce, and with the labor, lets say they operator is making 15/hr. that comes out to about 35 per stator. even if you took into the account that they have to pay overhead and rent on locations and equipment, with their volume that they do, throw in another 15-20. the rest goes to the pocket!!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts