Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to modify my exhaust to be moderately louder. I have searched these boards and found plenty of information about degoating and V&H cruzers, but a lot of it is conflicting. There doesn't seem to be any consensus on which pipe mod is louder.

Well, I know I'm not interested in the loudest pipes, or pipes that change the sound itself. I like the way my bike sounds; I'd just like to turn up the volume from a 3 to a 5 or 6. Not loud enough to compete with a harley, but louder than stock. I don't want something obnoxious. It seems like my options are Cobra Slip-ons, V&H Cruzers, or degoating.

I'm leaning toward the cruzers because of their look and removable baffle, but exactly how loud are they compared to stock/degoated/cobra? Any thoughts?

Thanks

·
Banned
448 Posts
I pulled the stock mufflers on my 87 VN700, and had a pair of pipes made and clamped them to the ends of the goat. I had them made the same length on both sides to look better, and had turnouts added to them. It sound a LOT better, has a nice deep throaty sound, not piss of the neighbors loud, but head turning loud. If you take out the goats belly, you will lose some of your low end torque. It's a matter of preference I guess, I like the look of mufflers on both sides of my bike as opposed to shotgun style of most aftermarket styles.
Cruzers sound good as an alternative to stock, and you can also get a pair of slip ons that sould good too.

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
IMHO, the V&H Cruzers are the way to go................... They sound fantastic. I will say they are a bit loud when you first fire the bike up and the RPM's are up there. At normal idle levels they are fine.

·
Registered
37 Posts
IMHO, the V&H Cruzers are the way to go................... They sound fantastic. I will say they are a bit loud when you first fire the bike up and the RPM's are up there. At normal idle levels they are fine.
X2.
They're not overly loud, but enough to turn heads. Even made a couple of Harley guys I know give me the thumbs up!:smiley_th They liked the "smooth rumble" it made.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have the cruzers and they are one of the reasons I bought my bike... The moment I heard it fire up I fell in love... Loud enough to sound good but not so loud that it is annoying...

My neighbor, who owns a Harley, hadn't heard my bike til the other day... He came outside after he heard me fire her up... Said it sounded nice and made him look out the window to see who it was...

·
Super Moderator
11,937 Posts
If it is loud enough to "turn heads".....it's loud. If you really want others to notice you, I suggest wearing a pink to-to and fairy wings. ;)

Tbs only thing I can figure is those that like loud bikes are just compensatiing for a short coming somewhere else.

If you are trying to impress your Harley owning friends...you should just kiss their asss and get a Harley.

Again.... Just my viewpoint. ;)

KM

·
Patriot Guard Rider
825 Posts
If you really want others to notice you, I suggest wearing a pink to-to and fairy wings. ;)
ROTFLMMFAO!

I De-goated my bike this morning and installed the Scootworks by-pass kit and it is definitely louder. I believe in the moto that:

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
if it is loud enough to "turn heads".....it's loud. If you really want others to notice you, i suggest wearing a pink to-to and fairy wings. ;)

tbs only thing i can figure is those that like loud bikes are just compensatiing for a short coming somewhere else.

If you are trying to impress your harley owning friends...you should just kiss their asss and get a harley.

km
lmao

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
if it is loud enough to "turn heads".....it's loud. If you really want others to notice you, i suggest wearing a pink to-to and fairy wings. ;)

tbs only thing i can figure is those that like loud bikes are just compensatiing for a short coming somewhere else.

If you are trying to impress your harley owning friends...you should just kiss their asss and get a harley.

km
lmao So funny it posted twice.

·
Registered
37 Posts
So, every guy who's put pipes on they're truck, muscle car, street rod, rat rod, bike, ATV, snowmobile, ect., has a small unit? Pretty easy thing to say when no one else is around. I'd bet my life you wouldn't say that in public.

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
I will be degoating with Scootworks kit as soon as it arrives. Not doing it for the sound, however, that is an added bonus, but rather for heat reduction on the R/R

·
Super Moderator
11,937 Posts
So, every guy who's put pipes on they're truck, muscle car, street rod, rat rod, bike, ATV, snowmobile, ect., has a small unit? Pretty easy thing to say when no one else is around. I'd bet my life you wouldn't say that in public.
No.... Just motorcycles and cars/trucks licensed for the street. Not all aftermarket exhausts are loud. I put different pipes on a few vehicles I owned... They were not that much louder.

But yes, come on down to ST. Louis with your bike that is running straight pipes with no muffler and I will gladly tell you right to your face " You either have a real small dik, or you are just an azzhole.."

KM

·
Senior Lurker
509 Posts
Gentelmen, there's no need to turn this into a name calling pissing contest. It was a simple question about V&H Cruisers.

We all love our bikes and this site and we want to keep everyone riding safe and playing nice. :itchy-scr

-----------------------------

As for my two cents with pipes, I don't care for the look or sound of the stock pipes myself. I'm considering V&H Cruisers with the Hardkore Baffle insert that quiets them down a little.

I strongly believe that loud pipes do not save lives. If you think about it, most of the hazards that you're going to face on the road come at you from the front. The sound that your loud pipes make is behind you, so that argument does not hold water. If you say that when you're next to someone it's helpful because it will let them know that you're there, I'd tell you that you're nuts for riding your bike in anyone's blind spot! Either way, the loud pipes save lives discussion should be a separate thread from this one.

Nice Avatar pic by the way Puddles.

-Sloppy

·
Super Moderator
11,937 Posts
Pretty sure you're the one that started this with your stupid comment that had nothing to do with what the original poster asked.
Well it was not meant to be stupid.... It was just meant to be funny. And from the others posts.... It looks like it was.

You are the one that turned it stupid by taking what I said seriously....;)

KM

·
Registered
37 Posts
That's it, Knifemaker. I didn't want to do this, but you leave me no choice....you can't be my friend. There. Now how do you feel?

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
I too agree with KM... Loud Pipes= Azzholes ore D!ck Heads... I am an early riser from bed every day of the week except on Sundays... And there is nothing that ruins my Sunday more than an inconsiderate bastard that starts up their "LOUD" bike... like I said I am an early riser 6 days a week, and ride my bike every day of it... and guess what my neighbor asks me every night when I get home, "what time you leave this AM, because I never heard you." and that is the way it is supposed to be. LOUD does not = more Horse power... it just = smaller IQ. LOUD pipes only make you go deaf... I can't count how many "loud pipes" that I never heard until they were past me... but its because there are so many.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
If it is loud enough to "turn heads".....it's loud. If you really want others to notice you, I suggest wearing a pink to-to and fairy wings. ;)
KM
Hmm... good idea for next Halloween... and given that my bike's tank has this weird sun-faded purple color to it, it's an awesome match... hahahahaha

1 - 20 of 35 Posts