Gnarly Jokester
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The manual says to warm up the engine for 2-3 minutes before moving,
and also to warm up for 2-3 minutes again when the engine has
been stopped, no matter for how long.

Are these procedures, especially the one that wants a warm engine
to be warmed up again when after being shut off...no matter for how
long to be followed after the engine has several thousand miles on it?

BTW, When I changed the oil for the first time in my VN750 at 230 miles
it didn't look dirty at all, but I just did my first oil change on my KLR650
and the oil had many, many very small minute particles that made the oil
look somewhat like dirty dishwater. I broke both engines in the same way
and can't figure out what caused the difference unless the KLR650 had
closer tolerances?

·
Geek
872 Posts
At 6:00 AM, going to work, I usually warm up for 2 minutes. Trying to be nice to the neighbors.

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Early morn here... about 55 degrees.... about 2 - 3 min, once the choke gets cut down.
Warm.... oh about three to ten seconds should do ya! ;)

the oil light goes out in that time right!? right.... good to go!

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
here is a trick i use.... i hold just a little throttle when starting and keep it at about 1500 rpm....and hold it. as the engine warms the rpms jump, that jump indicates to me the oil has circulated and is warm. just 2-3 mins in summer almost 5 mins in winter

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Hizzo3 said:
here is a trick i use.... i hold just a little throttle when starting and keep it at about 1500 rpm....and hold it. as the engine warms the rpms jump, that jump indicates to me the oil has circulated and is warm. just 2-3 mins in summer almost 5 mins in winter
That's pretty much what I do, but I just use the choke to keep the RPM's up.

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Believe it or not.I asked the dealer that guestion.He told me all that engine needs is a 30 second warm up.I don't follow that I usually go about 2 minutes.This dealership is a small father and son shop they do both sell and work on bikes you have to get one of them out of the shop if you want to see a bike.I figure he would know what he is talking about being a mechanic.

·
Geek
872 Posts
Here is my morning routine. 35 deg or 100 deg, always works the same. Choke on full. Key on. Clutch in. Hit the starter button. About a 1 second cough. Hit the button again and it roars to life. Immediatly start reducing choke. I keep it between 1000 and 1500 rpm (limit the early morning noise for the neighbors). When it runs stable at 1000 rpm I go get the helmet and gloves from the garage. When I get back to the bike I leave. 100 yards to the state highway. As I pull onto the highway the choke gets turned off.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
rnewell said:
As I pull onto the highway the choke gets turned off.
There's been a few times I'd forget to completely turn the choke off. I'd be motorin' down the road and wonder why my bike is runnin' like crap. Then I realize, Duh, chokes on dummy !! Shut it off and all's fine. I hate when I do that. :doh:

·
Registered
124 Posts
i use full choke, hit start with the very slightest blip of the throttle and she fires right up each time. i then adjust the choke to keep it between 2000 and 3000 rpms for a coupel minutes. usually good to go after that. starting back up after stopping i usually let it warm up for 30 secs to 1 min unless it was a very quick break in riding.

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
I use the choke to keep the rpms up like mentioned above. I wait until the temp needle gets to the first line. Then I figure I'm good to go and always figured that's why I never get the coffee grinding sound mentioned by others.

If I restart the bike after riding, and the needle is still past the first line - I don't wait around.

Mark

·
Registered
198 Posts
I choke it for 30 seconds or less; as soon as it will idle without choke, I'm gone. I take it real easy for about the first mile, 3K RPM or less.

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
i set .5 choke, start the bike and increase choke untill 2000 rpm. then i gradually reduce it to keep it revving at 2000. by the time i lace my boots and put all the gear on it is ready to go. around 2 minutes i guess

·
Registered
227 Posts
2 minutes with my V&Hs? My neighbors would shoot me! I fire mine with full choke and let it level off, start reducing choke as long as she doesn't start to miss and hit the road as soon as the choke is down to almost off (less then 30 seconds). I take it easy for almost a mile of residentual area so it's warmed up all the way before I let the pipes bark.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Always been of the school that you drive it easy until up to temp. By the time I start mine, put my helmet on, back it out of the garage, its been almost a minute.

·
Registered
699 Posts
start bike, make sure running steady, in house for bathroom trip(nothing worse than having to go while cold air is blowing on you) grab sunglasses, get on bike, about 2 minutes at this point,enjoy last half of cigarette while going easy thru neighborhood. drop butt and go.

·
Registered
25 Posts
hyperbuzzin said:
There's been a few times I'd forget to completely turn the choke off. I'd be motorin' down the road and wonder why my bike is runnin' like crap. Then I realize, Duh, chokes on dummy !! Shut it off and all's fine. I hate when I do that. :doh:
I do that too! I shake my head, turn off the choke, and keep on going. (with the engine running much better)

·
Registered
40 Posts
I keep my bike garaged, so it doesn't get very frigid overnight. I use full choke, let it get up to 2000 RPM, adjust the choke so it doesn't start revving too high and make sure it will idle with the choke off after about 30 seconds. This normally works... I've heard that the plugs will foul up if you attempt to warm it up excessively without riding the bike. It's obviously prudent to take it easy for a while until the engine temperature starts to increase, however.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I give mine enough choke to keep it just under 1500 rpm's any less than that and you can see the headlight dim = battery dishcharge. put on my gear(2-3mins) and keep it below 3500 rpms for the first mile or so. Mine to is in a attached garage so even if it is 35 outside the garage is 50-55 I usually don't ride if it is below 30 degrees.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts