·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I've wondered the same thing.

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
It is and some have done it but...
Do not just cut the hose and put the filter in. You would have to take out the length of hose to correspond with the length of the filter. It is also reccommended that you use the clear filters so you can to a sight check.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Also, because the fuel system is not pressurized, you will want to be sure to use a filter that is as free flowing as possible, as some filters wont pass much fuel unless there is pressure pushing it through.

Are you aware that there is a screen filter inside the fuel tank?

·
85 VN 700
1,033 Posts
I wouldn't recommend it. Like hyper said, there's already a filter in the tank. I never tried putting a filter on the fuel lines for the 700, but my old bike had cv carbs like our bikes - put a filter on the fuel line and all of a sudden she was starving at high speeds - took the filter off and all of a sudden she was running fine again.

·
85 VN 700
1,033 Posts

·
Kawika
441 Posts
Why not just order a new fuel tap?

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/kawasaki-motorcycle-vulcan-750-vn750a11-us-1995/o/m4529

part# 51023A 66.97

If the screen filter broke, I'd be expecting other things within the petcock to break soon.
The petcock is $53.44 at babbit's:
http://www.babbittsonline.com

I just bought one last year, but keep in mind that they have superceded this dual-outlet tap to a single-outlet tap, which requires you to buy a short length of 5/16" ID fuel line and get a 5/16" brass tee (Ace Hardware has these for ~$5)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I found some small filters at a local bike shop. The bronze seems to flow better than the paper element type. As mentioned, cut out the same length of hose to prevent kinks.

·
Growling at the World...
564 Posts
I found some small filters at a local bike shop. The bronze seems to flow better than the paper element type.
That is what I did. What most people don't realize and what a lot of people have going on right now is that their intank filters that are attached to the petcock are free floating in their gas tanks. I've taken apart three or four petcocks on VN750's and have found that every one had the reserve filter detached and floating and half of them had the primary intake filter detached. I personally think it is a combination of age and the fact that most of our fuels have a 10% ethanol mixture going. Newer bikes take that into account but older bikes like ours with a 1985 mindset have parts that don't play well with ethanol. I've not had to drain and clean a carb since putting in the inline fuel filters, so I'm going to say that they do have value on a case by case basis.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts