Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm riding a 2006 VN750. As the weather starts to heat up I'm noticing that sometimes it seems like the bike is running very hot.

My question is this: if the heat indicator is drifting onto the "hot" side of the gauge, but still isn't in the red, is there any cause for concern?

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide.

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
I'm riding a 2006 VN750. As the weather starts to heat up I'm noticing that sometimes it seems like the bike is running very hot.

My question is this: if the heat indicator is drifting onto the "hot" side of the gauge, but still isn't in the red, is there any cause for concern?

Here is what my 2001 Owners Manual says " Ordinarily, the needle should stay within the white zone. If needle reaches the " H " line ( red zone )stop the engine and check the coolant level".

My bike very seldom gets above the 1/2 way point, even in 85 degree weather.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Hi, CRVulcan, welcome to the Forum! Our bikes don't like the heat at all, but there are some great tips here on what to do to prevent future problems. Search for "r/r relocation" ("regulator relocation") to see how to address the biggest challenge (hopefully someone will jump in and post a link for you). Other things to consider are to make sure your fan is coming on when it's hot out (we all can help you with that); and finally, some of us use a product called Engine Ice as our coolant. It does seem to help the bike run just a tad cooler than regular coolant.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts

Welcome to the Vulcan madness.
Does your cooling fan come on when the temp gauge needle starts to climb?
If you can`t hear it, pull over somewhere safe and look.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi, CRVulcan, welcome to the Forum! Our bikes don't like the heat at all, but there are some great tips here on what to do to prevent future problems. Search for "r/r relocation" ("regulator relocation") to see how to address the biggest challenge (hopefully someone will jump in and post a link for you). Other things to consider are to make sure your fan is coming on when it's hot out (we all can help you with that); and finally, some of us use a product called Engine Ice as our coolant. It does seem to help the bike run just a tad cooler than regular coolant.
I found the instructions for the r/r relocation, and it doesn't look like it should be too hard to get done. I'll maybe take a swing at that this weekend.

Is changing the coolant particularly difficult? I'm waiting for my Clymer's guide to arrive, but I'm wondering if that's going to be something that I need to have a mechanic do.

Welcome to the Vulcan madness.
Does your cooling fan come on when the temp gauge needle starts to climb?
If you can`t hear it, pull over somewhere safe and look.
My cooling fan does turn on, and often runs for 10-30 seconds after I park the bike. From reading around the forum, it sounds like that's a pretty normal thing for this bike to do.

Thanks for the help guys!

Edit: By the way, this is only happening when the temperature is in the 90+ range.

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Changing the coolant is pretty simple. There are instructions in the Clymer manual, or a much more detailed and thourough set of instructions on here somewhere, I actually just came across them earlier today.

Either way if you are at all handy, I would suggest trying this yourself.

Cheers and good luck
Matt

·
Registered
802 Posts
Been riding mine in the Texas summers for 2 years, working on it's 3rd. Temp gauge gets up there sometimes, but has never gotten to the red zone.

I've ridden when it's well above 100º and have not had any problems with overheating.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
This is from last summer, in our back yard. Thermometer was in the sun, but then again, so was I. I rode the bike that day. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
Out here in the NM desert I have noticed my Vulcan's temp needle to just go a little past center (maybe a little further if I'm running her hard) when it's over 100. The fan doesn't start til I park her.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
This is from last summer, in our back yard. Thermometer was in the sun, but then again, so was I. I rode the bike that day. :)
what were you wearing? Those are the kind of temps I get where I live.

·
Registered
802 Posts
what were you wearing? Those are the kind of temps I get where I live.
On the bike, boots, jeans, t shirt, helmet and gloves.

When I took the picture, a whole lot less. :wow:

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
On the bike, boots, jeans, t shirt, helmet and gloves.

When I took the picture, a whole lot less. :wow:
When I think about riding in these temps I worry about cooking myself to death if I'm in an accident and I have to lie on the pavement... I was riding with a thin leather jacket a few weeks ago, when the air was still cool. I haven't ridden lately, been kinda busy, but I see the bike and I think to myself "what the hell am I supposed to wear in this weather?" the heat is bad, but scorching pavement on my bare skin seems a lot worse lol.

I need money for a proper summer jacket!

·
Registered
802 Posts
I figure if I'm on the ground I have more problems than hot pavement. I've been tossed on it when it was 70 and just cause it was cool, didn't make it feel any better. A black jacket on blacktop when it's hot is still gonna be hot. But you will have a whole lot less road rash.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I figure if I'm on the ground I have more problems than hot pavement. I've been tossed on it when it was 70 and just cause it was cool, didn't make it feel any better. A black jacket on blacktop when it's hot is still gonna be hot. But you will have a whole lot less road rash.
Yea, I just think somehow, 120+ degrees could make it a bit worse lol.

True though, if you're on the ground and can't get up, there's likely other stuff to be worried about.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts