Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
CenPenRider
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for info on how hot everyones bikes run in hot weather. Especially stop and go traffic.

Mine does ok when moving get with 1/4 of H. When in stop and go traffic or city light to light traffic pushes limit on H. I am afraid I am going to overheat the engine. Also, when really hot the stator voltage drops dramatically.:(

·
Registered
555 Posts
it was 114 degrees with 74% dew point/humidity today, tropical conditions. She was getting pretty warm in stop and go traffic. Thermostat reading was at half. She still ran good though. I change my coolant every year, call me crazy but I think it helps from over heating.

·
If only it had 6th gear..
1,100 Posts
Looking for info on how hot everyones bikes run in hot weather. Especially stop and go traffic.

Mine does ok when moving get with 1/4 of H. When in stop and go traffic or city light to light traffic pushes limit on H. I am afraid I am going to overheat the engine. Also, when really hot the stator voltage drops dramatically.:(
I think my needle stays. Right up in the middle on hot days. Don't remember it going any higher. Just curious. Is your fan coming on before it reaches halfway? And what are you running in it for coolant?

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
95+ degree, mine gets over to the thermometer emblem on the gauge as I stop. Gets back down slightly as it's moving. Under 95 degrees, It runs just at a third of the gauge.

Checked with the local dealer on a thermostat,,,,,,,,,, he said 49.49,,,, I left in a hurry.:BLAM:

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
Rode all day today in 94 degrees. Temperature never got above midway point. Fan didn't come on much.

·
CenPenRider
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fan comes on about 3/4 up I think; not sure really. Running unknown anti-freeze mix. I will drain, replace thermostat and pressure cap. Hopefully I can find the parts locally.

·
gun slinger
1,110 Posts
Mine runs 1/4- 1/2 in stop and go 90+ degree temps the fan pops on at the 1/2 way mark I know this because it feels like an oven door opening up when that little fan.kicks on

·
1,100 Posts
Mine runs 1/4- 1/2 in stop and go 90+ degree temps the fan pops on at the 1/2 way mark I know this because it feels like an oven door opening up when that little fan.kicks on
Ha ha yeah it does.

·
1,100 Posts
Ha ha yeah it does.

Fan comes on about 3/4 up I think; not sure really. Running unknown anti-freeze mix. I will drain, replace thermostat and pressure cap. Hopefully I can find the parts locally.
Well good luck with it. I wonder if the fan sensor's getting lazy..

·
Registered
802 Posts
We're at 20 days in row of 100+ degree temps. Been riding just about everyday. One the trip home, it's stop and go, and out on the highway, the blacktop makes it feel like it's 120º.

Guage is almost half way between the half way point and the white bar on the right, before it gets into the red area.

Thought I had a pic of the temp guage when I pulled in the drive. Know I posted it in the forums before, must be on the home computer. Fan runs for about 10-30 seconds after I shut the motor off.

No problems for the 3 years I've had the bike.

Found the pic on my phone. Not as hot as I thought it was.

Attachments

·
Registered
445 Posts
Sounds about right for my bike but my needle is to the left or just touching the little thermometer. I would think it's nothing to worry about. Here in South Alabama, it's been plenty hot this summer. June was just about everyday at 95+, hitting 100+ on many days. When was your last coolant change? Might be time for some fresh stuff.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
I rode in 105* temp and the needle was just a bit to the left of the thermometor. That was highways riding 65-70mph.

·
CenPenRider
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone. I think the problem was the fan sensor. It is trying to come apart. The coolant was good. The thermostat tested good. The impeller seems good when I start without the pressure cap I get fluid flow. I have never had the sensation of the oven door everyone else talks about. I rigged a switch until I can replace the faulty one. Will test ride tomorrow before the bike fest at Carlisle this weekend. Actually it is a good thing I checked everything I have two hoses bubbling inside. Time to replace the hoses.

·
Wareagle1970
409 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts