Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Take the test here:

http://www.msf-usa.org/riderperception/

Make sure you pick your "speed" at the bottom before each test..I suggest going with medium.

My scores were 18/20 sign recognition and 19/20 collision avoidance.

enjoy.......

KM
Hey KM --

This is a fun way to test yourself and hone your skills.
18/20 collision
17/20 signs

Excellent exercise! :smiley_th I saved the link and will take it a few more times to try to improve.

Thanx! :beerchug:

·
Registered
166 Posts
17-20 on the signs and 19-20 on the other 1 on med

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I got the reverse score that KM did. 19/20 for sign recognition, and 18/20 collision avoidance, all done at medium speed.

The collision avoidance is tougher without motion, as it takes me longer to decide if the vehicle to the side is going to move into my space.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
i like a good test...
20/20 on signs and 18/20 on situations...
although if you blink, you will miss the sign.. so don't blink.

i sent this to all my caged friends.

·
Registered
56 Posts
20/20 signs -20/20 collision on medium speed some scenarios where pretty tricky

·
Registered
292 Posts
The collision avoidance is tougher without motion, as it takes me longer to decide if the vehicle to the side is going to move into my space.
I agree, cagers usually give clues about what they want to do, like creeping over the limit line. Hard to tell with the motion stopped. 18/20 18/20 not bad for a newbie

·
Super Moderator
11,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I think that is a given possibliity at anytime... ;)

The point of a static image here is that your options for a safe "getaway" change every second, and the exercise is more of a test of your abiltiy to take notice of a given situation as a snapshot of just that moment and how you would or should react. By learning to alter your options as every moment passes is what one should be striving for.

The one collison avoidance question I was "wrong" on showed a white truck or SUV about to turn on the road ahead of me from the right.

The choices of what to do were A. Slow down B. Move to the left lane C. Something stupid I don't remember...

I picked A...slow down. the "correct" answer was B. Move to the lane to the left.

From the image I saw it was unclear if the truck was going to 1. turn onto the road in the lane I was in, or 2. turn right.. crossing my lane and going into the lane to the left. The position of the tires and the truck was such that the second scenerio looked to me to be more than likely, so I thought slowing down and not changing lanes was the way to go...(and still do)

It would have been not a good move to asume the truck was going to make a proper turn in front of me..staying in the far right lane as one should. As I have learned long ago not to asume anything about another drivers intentions.

Now had the photo been a short moving clip I might have made a different call here. It is also unclear from just a photo if the lane to the left would have been open..as a car might have been beside me out of frame.

The object here was to not over think the situation and simply go by what I saw at that moment...so by that I can then agree the "right" answer would have been to move into the left lane ...as the truck would need time to pick up sufficiant speed after making the turn.

So don't fret over missing one or two of these questions, the idea is to make you understand that there is alot of information for you to absorb every second you are out riding, and that one should stay sharp and take in as much of it as they can as they move along.

Taking a test like this I am sure everyone did their best to concentrate and not get distracted, but you should ask yourself if you put that much effort in concentrating when you are out riding in real life.

For the record I missed the "handicap facilities" sign..I just though it was a handicap parking sign, the other sign will always be a mystery, as I got distraced by my cat and did not even see it......lol.

KM

·
Redneck on a rice burner
179 Posts
20/20 signs 20/20 collisions on medium. Atlanta Traffic keeps you on the ball. Now throw in gun reaction time on top of collision,you'll be ready to ride to a Braves or Falcons game.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Took it on fast, 20/20 sighns, 16/20 traffic( first try) 18/20 (second try). Not bad since my town only has one stop light.

·
Simple Solutions
965 Posts
I think that is a given possibliity at anytime... ;)

It would have been not a good move to asume the truck was going to make a proper turn in front of me..staying in the far right lane as one should. As I have learned long ago not to asume anything about another drivers intentions.

KM
Loved your write up knifemaker... but i do have to disagree just slightly... i keep my butt safe because i do assume every car doesnt see me and is pulling out in front of me or into me... to many close calls,
i do try and make myself extra visible and stay out of the cagers way!!
This is a great test and i think it should be a prereq to getting a bike...

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
Medium speed 18/20 signs, 14/20 collision avoidance. Guess I need to work on my collision avoidance.

·
At Least I Can Spell!
615 Posts
I just got out of the hospital after crashing while taking this test. I hit the white truck.

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
I just got out of the hospital after crashing while taking this test. I hit the white truck.
Man! Sorry to hear that! Glad you're feeling better!

·
Registered
950 Posts
Signs 17/20
The Reverse Curves Ahead sign got me. Never knew that was the name, I thought it was winding road.
And the Handicap Facilities sign. I thought it was parking
Collision 19/20

1 - 20 of 20 Posts