Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Love My Baby
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I go to the beach in my car, I usually leave my wallet and other valuables in my locked console. But when I take my Vulcan, I don't have anything comparable and I'm not sure I would feel comfortable leaving my wallet in a saddlebag.

Anybody have some kind of secured storage on their Vulcan? Anything that actually locks securely, unlike our built-in tool box?

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
You could always put them in a zip lock bag and put them on top of the battery. Doubtful they will even look there, just don't forget you put it there.

·
Love My Baby
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You could always put them in a zip lock bag and put them on top of the battery. Doubtful they will even look there, just don't forget you put it there.
Ah, if only I had quick access to the battery compartment.

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
I leave the bags with the straps open that way people think there isnt anything in there.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If tool box hasn't ever been touched just use that! Has a nice lock and doubt anyone during the day time would break into a tool box for tools. What they don't see, they don't take!!

·
Drive less, ride more...
1,114 Posts
The best hard, lockable saddlebags for cruisers that I've seen are from Mutazu (inexpensive) and LeatherLyke (pricey, but nicer and roomier).

Both have bags that open from the top, so your stuff won't spill out on you or the ground.

Givi also makes great saddlebags that are hard and lockable (and pricey), but their bags are not designed for cruisers like those mentioned above.

Your question brings to light why (in part) I went with hard, lockable saddlebags in the first place.

·
On His Lady Vulcan
1,647 Posts
Hmmm...Try leaving it in your back pocket maybe, if you go for a swim then stash it under your towel covered with sand.

·
Senior Lurker
509 Posts
When I go to the beach I take as few valuables with me as possible (call me a paranoid New Yorker). Then I stuff my wallet and a few keys into a waterproof case similar to this one http://www.gift-leader.com/pro/pro/swimming_beach_box/1.jpg and stuff that into the zippered cargo pocket on my swim trunks.

-Sloppy.

·
Registered
164 Posts
IMO, if you're going to the beach then you might as well just take the cage. Not wearing a helmet and gear wouldn't be an option for me so where would I store all of that? So, as opposed to just wearing swim trunks, flip flops and a towel around my neck on my bike....Nope....car....no worries. Besides, where else are you going to carry that beer cooler?

·
1985 VN-700
418 Posts
Good question. If you have a luggage rack you could mount a small amo can to it and put a lock on it. Looks goofy, but if you paint it black it may not look so bad.

·
Registered
6,446 Posts

·
Love My Baby
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's a nice roll pack. Looks like it can hold quite a bit. It's too bad our seat doesn't pop up with a locking metal glove box underneath, welded to the frame. That would be perfect. I would love to have our plastic tool box made out of metal, with a strong lock and a full piano hinge. With that sucker bolted to the seat from the inside, it would be pretty darn secure.

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
That's a nice roll pack. Looks like it can hold quite a bit.
It expands so it can hold my leather jacket, a sweat shirt, a big ol' water bottle, my wallet, keys, and other stuff I usually keep in my pockets. It comes with several way to attach it to the luggage rack too...

·
Ba dum dum, ching...
542 Posts
...It keeps honest people honest...
That's what it all comes down to.

I like Sloppy's idea because if you really want it keep it safe keep it with you.

R

·
Adventuregeek
162 Posts
I got the Mutazu GA hard bags for that very reason. They're not the hardest things to break into, but generally people won't bother unless they know something worthwhile is in there. Sloppy's beach safe is a good one too. Bury it in the sand under your stuff, nobody will find that.

I also ride ATGATT, and can stash my armored jacket, gloves, and pant legs in one of the hard bags. I have convertible ride pants and zip off the legs, keep my boots on, helmet locked to the bike.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have the same problem when I fly to the beach. I carry a small wally world soft side cooler in my back pack beach chair. Wallet and keys go in pocket on cooler. Works for me.
Ron

1 - 17 of 17 Posts