Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you're letting the battery die is it best to pull the cables or does it matter?

·
Supporting vendor
43 Posts
Hello,
Consider checking out our article on motorcycle winterization:

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
There’s a drain screw on the bottom of the float bowl.
Not sure enjoy you asked one question in the title of your post but asked an unrelated one instead.
And yes, why are you going to let it die?
If it gets crazy cold where you live remove the battery and bring it inside, and periodically charge it.
If it’s a crappy battery and you plan on replacing it this spring, just remove it and store it somewhere safe.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There’s a drain screw on the bottom of the float bowl.
Not sure enjoy you asked one question in the title of your post but asked an unrelated one instead.
And yes, why are you going to let it die?
If it gets crazy cold where you live remove the battery and bring it inside, and periodically charge it.
If it’s a crappy battery and you plan on replacing it this spring, just remove it and store it somewhere safe.
Seemed like an efficient way to ask two separate questions about the same topic. I'll need to structure it differently in the future.

It's a new battery and I don't want to kill it completely. Will letting it sit really destroy it?
I'll be storing the bike and won't really have a place to tend to the battery.

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
I’d just remove it. If it sits all winter even a really good battery can lose its charge. Fill the gas tank up, add some seafoam or fuel stabilizer. Shut the petcock and drain the carbs.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’d just remove it. If it sits all winter even a really good battery can lose its charge. Fill the gas tank up, add some seafoam or fuel stabilizer. Shut the petcock and drain the carbs.
My first winter with a bike, thank you. Can't wait until spring!

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
No worries, the first year I stored it I foolishly left the petcock open. The fuel will eventually find its way into the engine so make sure you shut it.

·
Registered
8,298 Posts
That looks like the drain, gas will flow from the nipple under the carb. Here's another pic....

It's bad for a battery to be discharged for a long period, and wet cells will freeze when discharged. If it's going to get cold, I would remove it and put it under the kitchen sink, the basement, laundry area, bathroom sink, etc.

·
Registered
8,298 Posts
I meant to include.... If a wet cell freezes the case can crack, then when it thaws the acid leaks out onto your bike.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts