Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where is the fastener that holds the coolant tank on?
I was looking yesterday, but don`t have much room between the bike and wall on that side and my leg still won`t bear enough weight to move the bike for a better look. That looks to be the only way to get my big mitts in there to check and clean the engine ground cable.

·
Registered
409 Posts
It's a 10MM. Use an extender. When putting the bottle back on, you have to route the brake line through the groove in the back of the bottle. You also have to make sure both drain tubes (bottom and top of bottle) aren't getting pinched. It's kind of a pain, but it's mostly just moving things around - nothing takes a lot of physical force.

·
Registered
209 Posts
is the top tube not connected to anything? i took my tank off to flush the coolant and it made me worry.

·
Simple Solutions
965 Posts
top tube

is the top tube not connected to anything? i took my tank off to flush the coolant and it made me worry.
top tube is for over flow ... its suposed to goto noware make sure its not pinched (ottle wouldnt fill or drain fluid if it was a closed system ...

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, I just never leaned over far enough to see it I guess. It sucks to still be on crutches 14 months after the wreck.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Thanks guys, I just never leaned over far enough to see it I guess. It sucks to still be on crutches 14 months after the wreck.
Hey Hoss --

It's recessed and hard to see even when you sit on the floor in front of it. As previously said, use an extension with 10 mm socket and go mostly by feel.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Also, there is a "tab" on the bottom of the bottle that sits in a hole with a rubber grommet around it to help hold the bottle in place. When you put the bottle back on, make sure you have the tab sitting in the rubber hole or you will have trouble getting the bolt to mate with the threads, and if you tighten it up you can crack the bottom of the bottle around the tab... This is why I had to buy a new bottle...

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the tips. I did go out and found the indent in the back of the tank, but didn`t have enough room to kneel down and get to the bolt. After finding the indent, I do remember seeing it before. I must be going blind and losing my memory at the same time. lol
Maybe I`ll try to move the bike out later today to give me room to move. 4 of my grandkids are staying for a couple of days, so I will see if 8 year old Jaden want to come out and help me. His hands are small enough to easily get in to the ground connection on the back of the engine. He is saving his allowance to buy a small ATV or dirt bike next year. So I might as well start teaching him how to wrench too!!

·
At Least I Can Spell!
615 Posts
Ah, yes... I had a little seepage from the bottom of the bottle just recently. Imagine my horror as I came out and found a large puddle under my ride! After realizing it was coolant, with a large sigh of relief I traced the source to the bottle, pulled it out, clamped the hose to the engine, held the bottle up, and watched as the pretty, blue coolant was oh so slowly sneaking out a teeny little hole next to that "tab". So I emptied the bottle, plugged the hole with a bunch of superglue, and after that dried some clear silicone caulk. I let it sit for a few hours and am back in business.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Plastic bottles and old farts

Thanks for the tips. I did go out and found the indent in the back of the tank, but didn`t have enough room to kneel down and get to the bolt. After finding the indent, I do remember seeing it before. I must be going blind and losing my memory at the same time. lol
Maybe I`ll try to move the bike out later today to give me room to move. 4 of my grandkids are staying for a couple of days, so I will see if 8 year old Jaden want to come out and help me. His hands are small enough to easily get in to the ground connection on the back of the engine. He is saving his allowance to buy a small ATV or dirt bike next year. So I might as well start teaching him how to wrench too!!
That bottle is a royal pain in the butt for old farts! I never could get my bifocals to work right so everything was done by feel. And my getting fatter gut didn't help much either. Nor did a wrecked knee. Sat on my butt and fumed and raved for almost an hour before I could get that bottle back in. If I was 40 years younger, I'd probably have enjoyed the whole experience. Get that 8-yr-old's hands dirty! He'll have the fun that we old geezers can't have anymore.
Just a stupid plastic bottle!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts