Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm short, so I want my bike as low as possible.......However, I also ride the mountain twisties such as the "Dragon" a lot. So I want to minimize dragging bottom while in the sharp turns....

So how does this combination sound?
.....11" rear progressive 412 shocks, lowers bike an inch or more and brings fender closer to tire....which looks better.
.....170/80-15 Rear tires, raises the bike back up some, lowers Rpms, and maybe puts more meat on the ground.
.....110/90-19 Front tires....better handling and makes speedometer closer to accuate.
......????possibly lowering front forks with progressive springs, also better handling.

So Tires raise the bike and shocks and springs lower it.....

What would be the NET lowering (or raising )of the bike...
Could I do the REAR shocks and tire first.....then the front later??

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
I'm short, so I want my bike as low as possible.......However, I also ride the mountain twisties such as the "Dragon" a lot. So I want to minimize dragging bottom while in the sharp turns....

So how does this combination sound?
.....11" rear progressive 412 shocks, lowers bike an inch or more and brings fender closer to tire....which looks better.
.....170/80-15 Rear tires, raises the bike back up some, lowers Rpms, and maybe puts more meat on the ground.
.....110/90-19 Front tires....better handling and makes speedometer closer to accuate.
......????possibly lowering front forks with progressive springs, also better handling.

So Tires raise the bike and shocks and springs lower it.....

What would be the NET lowering (or raising )of the bike...
Could I do the REAR shocks and tire first.....then the front later??

I seriously doubt that you are shorter than me,5'6" and i have not lowered the rear of my bike although if you can afford them ,I don't blame anybody for wanting better rear suspension but I did drop the front trees down on the tubes7/8" and installed the same size tires you mentioned,when it comes to a lower seat height,I removed the seat cover and thinned down the seat padding and recovered it with out the buttons.I ride pretty aggressively in the twisties as most of my riding is done with sportbikes.dropping the front using this method actually shortens the wheelbase slightly and lessens the trail on the front end,which makes the bike easier to flick back and forth in the turns.
I ended up with about 1"lower seat height and actually improved the handling (which is an individual preference) with little loss of ground clearance.you need to keep in mind everything is a trade off,what you gain in quick handling you will lose in straight line stability.:motorcycl

·
Registered
950 Posts
I can't remember for sure, but I would think to combine the larger tire and lowering the bike that much might be a problem for the tire rubbing on the swingarm.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guys....

I've ordered the 11" 412 shocks and the progressive front fork springs....
After they are on I'll find out for sure what fits...maybe 160/80-15??
I'm thinking of putting a car tire on the rear...Darkside...

Grits

·
Super Moderator
11,815 Posts
Thanks Guys....

I've ordered the 11" 412 shocks and the progressive front fork springs....
After they are on I'll find out for sure what fits...maybe 160/80-15??
I'm thinking of putting a car tire on the rear...Darkside...
Another case of wanting the cake and eating it too. Car tire? really, that thing will not help at all if you plan on riding the dragon.

Lowering the bike an inch and half ..(11 inch shocks to 12.5 stock) will only limit cornering clearance. You can not make it handle better by limiting lean.Handling will lose some in this comprimise.

Now if you alter the placement of the exhaust and move or remove anyting that might touch when the bike is leaned over , you can gain some back this way.
To me the only reason to lower the bike is because you are a freakishly short and your tiny little feet can't touch the ground.
Saying you are doing it for "looks" will of course bring you back to that comprimise.

KM

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey KnifeBreaker...How long since you've been to therapy? Quit skipping...:p)

I'm thinking the bigger tires will bring the bike back up....
But the rear fender will be closer to the tire which looks better.

1 1/2" lower by shocks, then 1 inch higher by larger tires...net only 1/2 inch lower in rear... similiar in front...

bigger rear tire = lower RPMs and better gas mileage..
bigger front tire = better looks and corrects speedometer..
Both put more rubber on the ground and only a slight lowering...
Darkside is only an interesting thought....maybe....maybe not.

If it works, it would be a good improvement for me at 5'5" and my tiny feet.

....GritsHole:)

·
Registered
6,439 Posts
Oh boy, wait - let me get some popcorn. Ok, go!

Actually, I don't know of too many people who have messed with the suspension on our bikes. Gritface, I'd be interested to see what you end up doing and how your mods alter the bikes specs. And of course to see pics of whatever you do to it...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh boy, wait - let me get some popcorn. Ok, go!

Actually, I don't know of too many people who have messed with the suspension on our bikes. Gritface, I'd be interested to see what you end up doing and how your mods alter the bikes specs. And of course to see pics of whatever you do to it...
OK LPea,

If this works I'm gonna bragg a whole lot and post pics and say "I told you so" and go on and on about my genius idea and how great it works,...and.......and...and....

But if it doesn't work, I dont want any crap outa you clowms on here!!

.....GritFaceGenius...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
shorter shocks are going to mess up your handling. id say get a custom seat to lower your ass a bit.
Hey A$$Change....

My A$$ is already too close to the ground, it's the BIKE I'm trying to lower!:confused:

.....BigTallGrits

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
5'5"... All I can think of is Randy Newman.
Hey MushMan....

I think you really meant Paul Newman....he and I got all the women!!

actually I lied...I'm really 5' 5 and ONE HALF inches....

Now my springs are on backorder, but shocks are on the way....

.....CoolHandGrits !!

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Hey Grits, maybe a reshaped, narrrowed seat will help get your tiny little feet closer to the ground. LOL. Check out this article:http://www.buttbuffer.com/roadblock.asp
It was written by a vertically challenged female rider, who praises the reshaped, rebuilt and fairly economical seat.

·
Super Moderator
11,815 Posts
OK LPea,

If this works I'm gonna bragg a whole lot and post pics and say "I told you so" and go on and on about my genius idea and how great it works.....GritFaceGenius...
First off, you ain't thought of anything new here, quite a few folks have installed biggger tires...did you not see this thread?
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6699

To blow some holes in your "genius" here... more rubber on the road is always a good idea, but from what I have seen no one is getting significantly better gas milage from a taller tire. I also am not sure a 170/80 is 2 inches taller than a stock tire, but I don't have one to measure.

I do know that someone did the math and figured they only dropped their rpms by 265 to 350 , which if all you did was highway riding, you might see some improvement in your mpg. BUT , the increase in the size of the tires will increase your rolling resistance, effectively increasing fuel consumption. So odds are you won't get better mpgs.

Your idea of installing new shocks and fork springs is of course a good thing. As the stock suspension , for lack of a better word, sucks. Many folks have done this , and quite a few used shorter shocks ...so again your idea is nothing new here. My comment that you will lose cornering clearence and the bike simply will not handle as well still stands, it's just phyics.

I'm not really sure why you think I would need therapy. Seems like a odd comment, unless you were somehow angery that I said "the only reason to lower the bike is because you are freakishly short and your tiny little feet can't touch the ground."
(Had I known you were tiny I might not have said that, but you said you wanted to lower the bike for looks..so I took that as the reason)
This was of course just my opinion, and you did ask for opinions here, even going as far as making the thread title " How 'bout this?"

The best route to go if you are short is to go with a lower seat. I think the Corbin I had lowered me a good 2 inches. I also have cut a stock seat down and my feet are not only on the ground, but my knees are bent. If this is still not enough, I'd only go to a shorter shock keeping the change as small as needed.

I have seen bikes with lowered rears and wide tires. They look good, but all I have seen seem to end up in my rearview mirrors as I pass them going through turns. Again , if you want a bike that eats corners up at the Dragons Tail, you should buy new shocks and fork springs, but in the stock sizes. The wider tires are still a good idea too....better yet , find a nice used R6........

KM

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, KnifeBreaker....I read the thread.......and many other threads here and learned a lot from you clow.....er Guys.
Actually I can reach the ground and ride the bike just fine the way it is, I dont have to do anything.
But I'd like to get the rear fender down near the tire like someone else did for looks, and I'm hoping it wont hurt the cornering too much. Also I travel gravel some so I'm also thinking the lower center of gravity would help...not sure.
The bigger tires seems to be something that a lot of folks on here have done and are happy with...I'm only 160lbs. so I dont think I'd strain the bike with bigger tires any more than the over 200lb guys with the regular tires....

I have a new VTX1300 for taking the wife and longer rides, so I'll not be carrying much extra weight on this bike.

I wish you hadn't told me I wasn't a Genius though!! Popped my Bubble!!

....NoGeniusGrits...

·
At Least I Can Spell!
615 Posts

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
If you want something that's gonna carve the corners like your buddies do on their crotch rockets on the Dragon, buy a crotch rocket. If you want something that sits really low with a big rear tire, buy a low riding custom chopper.

You're not going to get both in one bike.

Just my two cents

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you want something that's gonna carve the corners like your buddies do on their crotch rockets on the Dragon, buy a crotch rocket. If you want something that sits really low with a big rear tire, buy a low riding custom chopper.

You're not going to get both in one bike.

Just my two cents
How 'bout them Dawgs?..I too am a Dawgs fan...had 10 season tickets to all the games for years...

I'm 63 and dont have "buddies carving the corners on their crotch rockets", but I do want a lighter , quicker bike than my VTX1300 for riding the mountain curves AND some of the gravel roads that I seem to want to go down often....I want to lower the bikes center of gravity for the gravel and still be able to ride the curves fairly well...
I dont like crotch rockets and I do pretty darn good with the 1300 on the curves...I just scrape and wear down the floorboards too much...

I really DO like the Vulcan 750, and I've chosen to make it my "all around mountain bike"...

I've already got the Progressive 11" shocks and plan to put a new (bigger?), and maybe Darkside, tire on the rear.....maybe the Mickey Thompson Sportsman with a 26" diameter...

Any Thoughts on this and the front? I'm thinking progressive lowering springs
and a 110/90 tire...

Also, I am in the NC mountains from July til early Nov....maybe we could ride some next season....I know many of the back roads (some partially gravel) from many years of exploring up there....

Thanks, Grits

·
Super Moderator
11,815 Posts
I really DO like the Vulcan 750, and I've chosen to make it my "all around mountain bike"...

I've already got the Progressive 11" shocks and plan to put a new (bigger?), and maybe Darkside, tire on the rear.....maybe the Mickey Thompson Sportsman with a 26" diameter...
:rolleyes:
It is obvious that your concept here is beyond my understanding. A one or two inch change in height is not going to significantly "lower the center of gravity" all that much, and not sure what that has to do with gravel roads.
A full tank of gas has more of an impact on COG>

I am going to ignore the banjo playing in the background here and say that there has been many that have gone to the darkside and been happy with their results.
I look forward to you including your voyage there for all to read about. But as I mentioned before, all your ideas will in fact decrease the bikes ability and agility... in turns. Most folks that would be building a bike for gravel and unpaved roads would be adding suspension travel, not decreasing it.

They still make Mickey Thompson tires? Are those available with raised white lettering?

KM

1 - 20 of 32 Posts