Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep reading about annual meets back East in Pa. for example. I wonder if anyone up here in the NorthWest would get together on an annual basis also. Folks from Oregon, Washington, perhaps Idaho could all pick some semi-central spot and gather together for a couple of days each year. There are obviously plenty of scenic rides to go on or simply all get together to yak about our rides and stay in-place wherever it is we decide to do this at.
Any thoughts about this? My only restriction would be that I can only do it on the weekends.

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,717 Posts
lol........out this way, we call em "Gatherings". ;) we try to do one every year......I'm not sure if there will be one this year yet.....I haven't seen anyone post about it. maybe it will be held out your way this year. Hmm.....

·
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Apparently there isn't any interest in this. Quite disappointing.

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
lol........out this way, we call em "Gatherings". ;) we try to do one every year......I'm not sure if there will be one this year yet.....I haven't seen anyone post about it. maybe it will be held out your way this year. Hmm.....
Did you hear the lodge at Hocking Hills burned down last Fall? Could be rebuilt by now if they got started on it.

·
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
John, where abouts in Oregon?

·
Thats 'Mr' Jr Member
249 Posts
Apparently there isn't any interest in this. Quite disappointing.

:cool: Maybe you all need to do a wintertime SnowBird run down here to the Florida Keys. Just load that Vulcan into a trailer and bring it down here for some 90+ degree riding. :motorcycl

Reactions: minikrew

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
:cool: Maybe you all need to do a wintertime SnowBird run down here to the Florida Keys. Just load that Vulcan into a trailer and bring it down here for some 90+ degree riding. :motorcycl
Isn't this Trailer Week in Daytona? :)

·
Thats 'Mr' Jr Member
249 Posts
Bike Weeks

Isn't this Trailer Week in Daytona? :)
Might be, but I am not sure. To be honest I usually avoid the large bike week events cause I don't care for the crowds and the price-gouging. Back in New Hampshire, I lived only a few miles from Laconia and me and a riding bud used to avoid the area during Bike Week.
:D

·
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ah Major, spoken like a flat-lander. Out here we have honest-to-gosh mountains so in order to get from one side of the mountains to the other side you have to go through the mountain passes. There are a handful of passes to select from. Regardless of which one you choose, they can be a bit of a white-knuckle experience to go through once the snow starts dumping. That is, when the roads aren't closed due to avalanche dangers or other snow hazards. Trailers are evil on snowy mountain passes. If the snow isn't dumping then its probably raining pretty good. More white knuckle time. I choose not to do any true longer distance moves once the colder season sets in. Now in the summer time it is flat out beautiful to cruise through the mountains from the green western Washington area to the drier, more desert-like eastern Washington landscape. AND, there is not one alligator or boa constrictor-type critter in sight. You will see a few rattlesnakes in eastern Washington though. But they can't eat me. Naw, I'll stick out here where there are scenic volcanoes (more than one), stunning mountain vistas, tremendous hydro-electric dams, the Great Columbia River, and miles and miles of pure road to lose yourself in. However, on the down side, we have zero Krystal Hamburger joints. Bummer on that one.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,080 Posts
Ah Major, spoken like a flat-lander. Out here we have honest-to-gosh mountains so in order to get from one side of the mountains to the other side you have to go through the mountain passes. There are a handful of passes to select from. Regardless of which one you choose, they can be a bit of a white-knuckle experience to go through once the snow starts dumping. That is, when the roads aren't closed due to avalanche dangers or other snow hazards. Trailers are evil on snowy mountain passes. If the snow isn't dumping then its probably raining pretty good. More white knuckle time. I choose not to do any true longer distance moves once the colder season sets in. Now in the summer time it is flat out beautiful to cruise through the mountains from the green western Washington area to the drier, more desert-like eastern Washington landscape. AND, there is not one alligator or boa constrictor-type critter in sight. You will see a few rattlesnakes in eastern Washington though. But they can't eat me. Naw, I'll stick out here where there are scenic volcanoes (more than one), stunning mountain vistas, tremendous hydro-electric dams, the Great Columbia River, and miles and miles of pure road to lose yourself in. However, on the down side, we have zero Krystal Hamburger joints. Bummer on that one.
there's bear in Washington. they can eat you,but 9 out of 10 bear prefer salmon

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

·
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If I have a choice between a bear getting me or a croc-a-gator or snake, I'll choose the bear. At least we're both mammals. And when his digestive system is done with me, I'll still be on dry land.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,080 Posts
If I have a choice between a bear getting me or a croc-a-gator or snake, I'll choose the bear. At least we're both mammals. And when his digestive system is done with me, I'll still be on dry land.
lol,unless he's fishing for salmon when he's done with ya.

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,717 Posts
Did you hear the lodge at Hocking Hills burned down last Fall? Could be rebuilt by now if they got started on it.
yeah, I heard about that. but, this thread is about out west. :wink2:

I've talked about that Lodge in another thread on here somewhere.

·
Thats 'Mr' Jr Member
249 Posts
Ah Major, spoken like a flat-lander.
Hey! :surprise: Flatlander??
Now wait a danged minute there. I was living up near the White Mountains of New Hampshire where we did a lot of our riding. When I was working 2nd shift at Timken Aerospace I had a twenty-two mile ride home. Hardly any streetlights except while passing through villages and no stop signs or red lights, though one did have to watch out for the black bears, moose, deer, coyote, raccoon, skunks and other things that wander around in the night.
One evening on my way home as I came into a S-turn there was a moose just walking out into my lane. I swerve into the oncoming lane and passed close enough that I could have slapped it as I went by. Sure got my heart racing as I'd lose a collision with Bullwinkle,
("Hey Rocky, watch me pull a biker out of my ass!")

I came down here for a job offer that was too good to turn down but once I take my retirement, I don't plan to stay down here.
:cool:

Reactions: CKGonzo

·
Registered
26 Posts
Naw, I'll stick out here where there are scenic volcanoes (more than one), stunning mountain vistas, tremendous hydro-electric dams, the Great Columbia River, and miles and miles of pure road to lose yourself in.
Dang, you are SO making me miss that area. I see from your profile you're in Puyallup, which happened to be my stomping grounds for a couple of years (90-91). Bought my first Vulcan from the dealer in Enumclaw, and put a lot of miles on the back roads between Marysville and Bremerton and a bunch of points in between. Loved making the rounds around Rainier, too.

·
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
For Gonzo: I haven't been to the Enumclaw dealer for a while, several years at least. Its still there. Heck, its a nice ride just to get there. I also haven't been up Mt Rainier for a number of years but I have been all around it. Riding through the passes, coming back through Packwood, Morton, Elbe and Eatonville and such. This coming up year I plan to do some serious riding along the Columbia, and kinda circumnavigate the eastern part of the state, and cruise some down into Oregon. My older son lives in Port Orchard, in the Bremerton area so I'll run out and visit them some. He's got another youngin that's due in late October so grampa needs to go stick my nose in the door to check on things. They put up another bridge a few years ago beside the famous Tacoma Narrows bridge. The Tacoma Narrows bridge is for westward traffic only and the new bridge is for eastward traffic and has a toll to pay (darn it). Eastern Washington has great open roads to ride on. For majdsaster: I stand properly chastised.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts