Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I have been having a problem to restart the bike after a good run. The starter seems to jam and when it tries to turn all I get is a massive back fire that scares the hell out of anyone in the road.....well that`s the cool part about it, for the rest being stranded there in the middle of some road aint for sure..... anyway I was reading on forums here and it was suggested to clean and rebuild the starter. I checked the ebay link suggested to buy th ekit but the Thread was from 2009.... hmmm anyway to cut the long story short I did my own research and found this kit : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290627824546?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Anyone has experience with this kit?? maybe some tips (do`s and don`ts) with the installation or is it pretty straight forward.

P.S. I have the NGK iridium plugs, Yuasa MF battery and alot of other goodies on my bike which I have installed thanks to these forums.

Cheers, Al

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks SlimVulcan,

At least now I know that someone used the kit and it worked. I will start some maintenance work on my bike after holidays, including full service,the starter refurbishment,carbs cleaning,rejetting and general cleaning too....

Cheers & Happy Festive Season

·
Calif Rider
725 Posts
Malteser for the hot starting problem, you also need to do the coil pick-up adjustment. You can look it up in the search part at the top of the page, look at coil pick-up adjustment. This will really help the hot starts.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
That hot start problem even happens with new bikes. I have had it intermittently for 150,000 miles on 2 Vulcan 750s, a '93 and an '02. On the '02 it got pretty bad around 40,000 miles, and I took the starter apart and cleaned it. It was absolutely filthy, just full of black dust. I used a whole can of contact cleaner on it. I did not replace any parts. It worked a lot better, but IMO it is simply undersized for the VN750 motor. With a fully charged battery, most of my bikes have turned over really fast. The Vulcan (my only v-twin) turns over a lot slower than most bikes, also I doubt it has a good spark at the slow speed it turns over. I have read about all kinds of fixes, but nothing that seems to work for everybody. I have not messed with the coil pickup adjustment.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey,
Thanks to all of you for your response, well to tell you the truth I was trying to avoid the pick up coil adjustment, I read about it and it seems easy, but I was kind of worried it might cause more wear and tear on the electrical system apart from being afraid of seized bolts. (I am very good at stripping off old head bolts off apparently, hehe)....well I bought the front stator cover gasket now ...... so there`s no turning back, and the claiming of more power makes it errrm interesting. I did no earshave but I have K&N filters so that should help a little too.....
Thanks again guys,
this forum has a great heart, just like our bikes! ;)

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
I can't say whether the pickup coil adjustment does any good or not, but I do know the tolerances on those things are very tight. You don't want to change it by much.

Not much point in going over this again, since everybody already knows how I feel about it, but I don't like K&N filters. I think they lean out the air/fuel mixture, while at the same time letting more dirt into the engine.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh c`mon Jerry, was reading alot about the coil mod and some in here claimed to feel a mentionable difference in power apart from the Hot Start prob....high hopes I had. I also thought its best to use K&N because the foam type air filters that my bike had before were disintegrating into tiny little pieces, and for sure that`s no good to get inside the engine. With proper care they are claimed to last for very long too so the initial price might be worthed. Bike is for road use only, its not a dirt bike so I don`t know now...... all I know now is that: "Jerry you just make me want to cry!!" :p (joking) ;)

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
The pickup coil mod may or may not help. Just like relocating the R/R may or may not help. I don't think it does, and have not relocated mine. Never had one fail either. And the bike starts ok, so I'm not messing with anything, might get it to where it doesn't start at all.

Foam filters do have a life span, how old are yours? They would have to be pretty old to actually fall apart. I used my stock ones for 30,000 miles, cleaned and reoiled once, finally replaced them, just because. They still seemed fine, but I didn't want to take the chance of them having a tiny torn place somewhere. As usual, IMO, K&N filters, if you could even call them that, are junk. Nobody has ever given a good reason for using them, it's alway "well they flow more air, so that must be a good thing right?" or "racers use them, so they must be good for my street vehicle" Racers also use slicks, as they provide more traction "on the track" So next I'll probably be hearing that everyone should use slicks on their cruiser. I mean, more traction must be better, right? On the track yes, on the street, on a street vehicle with street steering and suspension, no.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Jerry,
I will try the pick-up mod in February after a long holiday abroad and will tell you what I think about it.....I think that some things are worth a try because altough the Vulcan is a very well engineered bike it`s still an 80`s scoot and well in some cases things could have been done better but it is what it is and I like it. As regards the crappy foam filters I changed them after the first service, they were on the bike when I bought it and don`t know how old they were. I respect your opinion on K&N but I still have to hear a complaint from their users. Actually there are alot of products out there that are expensive and promise alot of things but fall short, but some others are good.. (Iridium Plugs work for me and last longer).One of the reasons I bought the K&N`s is that they last much longer than paper ones. Things are hard to find and/or are very expensive to buy/import where I live (sometimes double the price) and well I just like the idea of cleaning and re-using, saves alot of hassle and money in the long run for me and it gets my hands dirty (so its fun :). I try to use good oils and change them every year so to compensate and I am only using my bike for fun, not my daily transport so no high mileages.......Regarding the R/R I relocated the old one to the side but disconnected it and left it there just in case. I put in a new mosfet one under the mf batt tray, and am happy with it, the voltage is higher,more stable all revs and it stays cool = more reliable. Jerry I always read attentively the comments in this forum keeping in mind that like you there are real mechanics in here, but in the end I try to work with what I can and what I think is best for me. Thanks again and keep them coming....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts